4 weeks post op trouble

elilbit217
on 10/29/20 8:37 pm
VSG on 10/05/20

4 weeks post op and I have stalled in losing weight at 200 lbs. I'm horribly constipated; nauseous; can't get the water in. Pills seem to stick in my throat. I've been at 200 lbs for over a week after losing weight at a pound a day for awhile. It makes me worry that this stall is it; I'm stuck at 200 for the rest of my life. Really questioning why I did this.

Cathy H.
on 10/30/20 3:43 pm, edited 10/30/20 8:44 am
VSG on 10/31/16

Search the site for "3 week stall." It happens to everyone, just hang in there! Constipation is due to a high protein diet. Take Miralax once a day and it will help a lot. You may be nauseous if you aren't getting in enough water, and you're dealing with excess stomach acid. You HAVE to get at least 32 oz of water in every day, minimum. Sip constantly, sometimes that's the only way to get it in. But the last thing you want is to get dehydrated, it can cause a host of serious health problems. We've all gone through the tough first few weeks, so just push through. It's all worth it in the end!

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

hollykim
on 10/31/20 1:09 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 30, 2020 at 3:37 AM Pacific Time, elilbit217 wrote:

4 weeks post op and I have stalled in losing weight at 200 lbs. I'm horribly constipated; nauseous; can't get the water in. Pills seem to stick in my throat. I've been at 200 lbs for over a week after losing weight at a pound a day for awhile. It makes me worry that this stall is it; I'm stuck at 200 for the rest of my life. Really questioning why I did this.

this is the notorious 3 week stall, a week late for you. It is normal, many of us had it and it won't be the last one. There will be many as your body adjusts but if you stay on plan the loss will start again.

cpnstipation can cause nausea. You need to address that ASAP. Call your surgeons after hours line for advice. Many of us useMirslac(generic form is fine) to move the condtipation then use it and or stool softeners regularly to keep moving.
do not take any fiber right now. It will only make the constipation you hAve now, worse.

you will be able to drink once you move your bowels.
don't wait, start treSting the constipTion TODAY

Sasq
on 11/2/20 6:49 am
VSG on 10/05/19

I am a little over a year post sleeve and have been nauseous and vomiting. It may not be sleeve related but I am not sure. I had a brief weight loss stall during my second month post op but things turned around not too long after. Don't give up!

Yray
on 11/3/20 2:28 am
VSG on 10/15/20

I feel exactly like you!!!!! I had my surgery on 10/15 so this Thursday I make 3 weeks. Started Weightloss journey at 230. Dos 222 current weight 207. But today got on the scale and it said 209 ? I've been constipated going on 5 days today. Will get something today from the store! Yesterday I barely ate or drank anything was nauseous pretty much all day.

White Dove
on 11/4/20 4:43 am - Warren, OH

I was sent home from the hospital on stool softeners. Miralax is what most of us take daily for constipation. I personally do best with magnesium tablets and fiber. With five days of constipation, you might want to ask your surgeon's office for advise. I once got so bad I ended up at the ER and they took xrays. They told me to drink a bottle of magnesium citrate.

The 3 week stall is to be expected. There is a whole scientific reason that has to do with glycogen. Glycogen is used for energy and requires water, something like 4 pounds of water for 1 pound of glycogen. You can Google it if interested.

The nausea is probably from not getting in enough water. As weird as it sounds, the body is holding water because it thinks it is not going to get enough. So what usually helps is to drink a lot of water. I aim for 100 ounces a day. Once the body thinks the drought is over, it will release the water that it is storing up.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Yray
on 11/4/20 8:16 am
VSG on 10/15/20
On November 4, 2020 at 12:43 PM Pacific Time, White Dove wrote:

I was sent home from the hospital on stool softeners. Miralax is what most of us take daily for constipation. I personally do best with magnesium tablets and fiber. With five days of constipation, you might want to ask your surgeon's office for advise. I once got so bad I ended up at the ER and they took xrays. They told me to drink a bottle of magnesium citrate.

The 3 week stall is to be expected. There is a whole scientific reason that has to do with glycogen. Glycogen is used for energy and requires water, something like 4 pounds of water for 1 pound of glycogen. You can Google it if interested.

The nausea is probably from not getting in enough water. As weird as it sounds, the body is holding water because it thinks it is not going to get enough. So what usually helps is to drink a lot of water. I aim for 100 ounces a day. Once the body thinks the drought is over, it will release the water that it is storing up.

No one told me to take anything for constipation. I could of been ahead of the game!!! I started using the bathroom and continued till about 4 or 5 days into eating purée I stopped using the bathroom. I started miralax yesterday. Taking one dose at a day. Is that how you are taking it? I called my dr they told me if I don't poop by today I have to use an enema if that doesn't move things to call them back.

White Dove
on 11/4/20 10:45 am - Warren, OH

I had surgery 13 years ago. I have stool softeners, laxatives, fiber, magnesium, suppositories, and enemas. I don't think Miralax is enough after five days. The enema is good advice. If you are still having problems, call them back.

Miralax is used by most people to keep the constipation from happening. For me, it is usually too strong.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active