Does anyone have food aromas that trigger self sabotaging behavior?

KimmyJJ
on 11/21/20 1:18 pm

Hi everyone,

With this next week being Thanksgiving, I'm wondering if I can expect any aromas to trigger bad behavior? I'm only going to be about 6 weeks out for this big holiday, so I'm not that far into heavier foods, but I have to admit that turkey day has always been one of my favorites. I just want to make a firm plan for myself to stick to. I'm doing ok with my plans day to day so far.

Happy Thanksgiving!

KimmyJJ

Want2beMe
on 11/21/20 6:45 pm
VSG on 08/17/20

Pumpkin. The smell and sight of pumpkin triggers cravings to want to consume it. I miss pumpkin bars, pumpkin pie, pumpkin waffles, pumpkin donuts, and pumpkin spice roll. I have strength just like everyone on this forum and will not cave into temptation.

KimmyJJ
on 11/23/20 9:57 am

Want2beMe, sorry I missed this reply...I hadn't seen anything early Saturday and don't think I checked on Sunday! Pumpkin..so since pumpkin is a trigger for you, do you have to avoid everything that is related to it, even if it's a healthier item? I'm sorry, but I'm so new to this all, I have to ask questions!

KimmyJJ

Want2beMe
on 11/24/20 6:05 pm
VSG on 08/17/20

Yes I avoid all things pumpkin even if its healthy because its a trigger. I want to eat pumpkin foods, but I know if I did I would most likely overeat even through feeling full.

catwoman7
on 11/29/20 8:28 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I ate a lot of pumpkin yogurt because of that (lots of yogurt companies have it this time of year - plus I'd make my own). It worked for me, but I guess if it's a trigger for you to eat more unhealthy pumpkin things, that might not work for you...

Want2beMe
on 11/29/20 7:04 pm
VSG on 08/17/20

Omg pumpkin yogurt is awesome! I was substituted a yogurt item in my grocery pick up with pumpkin yogurt and its the perfect go to for pumpkin cravings. It didn't trigger anything and tasted so good. It has 80 calories which is 20 less then my other yogurts.

KimmyJJ
on 12/4/20 9:36 am

Want2beMe this is awesome that pumpkin yogurt works for you like this, what a lucky substitute! What brand of pumpkin yogurt was it, do you remember?

KimmyJJ

Want2beMe
on 12/4/20 10:02 am
VSG on 08/17/20

Light & Fit was the brand and to bad its only a seasonal yogurt.

KimmyJJ
on 12/7/20 7:06 am

Thanks for the tip! At least maybe I can get some during this season!

KimmyJJ

White Dove
on 11/29/20 2:53 am - Warren, OH

I was six weeks out on my first Thanksgiving. I ate a one inch square of turkey breast, a teaspoon of mashed potato and seven kernels of corn and I was full.

For the future, you will want to have good substitutes for any foods that you think you cannot control. I spend a lot of time looking at low fat, sugarfree, low carb substitutes for foods that I might crave.

The internet is full of recipes and suggestions. You will be facing this for the rest of your life. Always plan for what to eat and make sure that you always have something available that is the healthy choice for you.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 41 views