Does anyone have food aromas that trigger self sabotaging behavior?

KimmyJJ
on 12/4/20 9:44 am

White Dove, this is great advice thank you. Right now, I plan 2 weeks of meals and snacks ahead, and have a few cravings substitutes that are healthy alternatives. This site and people like you have given me tons of wisdom that helps greatly.

KimmyJJ

TheWombat
on 12/7/20 5:57 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

When I think of aromas, I mainly think of savoury items. My main weakness before surgery was sweets, which don't usually have much of an aroma unless you're talking about baked goods fresh from the oven. When it comes to savoury foods, there are healthy alternatives that are just as satisfying to me. So aromas generally don't trigger self-sabotaging behaviour.

However, you have reminded me of something which I've been neglecting recently, but I think is very helpful. After surgery I made a point of stimulating other senses besides taste. Examples include: a cup of very fragrant herbal tea, petting my cats, curling up under the duvet, choosing clothes in fabrics that feel good against my skin. I try to pay much more attention to those sensations now. Also, when I eat, I try to really savour each bite of food. I think sometimes we turn automatically to food when we really just want some sort of stimulus. Your question has reminded me to get back into the habit.

KimmyJJ
on 12/17/20 7:25 am

TheWombat, sorry I missed this post. I've been a bit more busy at work during this month. You have really made me aware of something that's very interesting to me, thank you! Sometimes we go through life without appreciating the other senses that can contribute to us being happier and healthier people. I'm going to put that in my journal of things to include on my healthier path! I work from home right now, and had a nearly every day ritual of watching the sun set, and I realize that for about two weeks now, I've only watched maybe one. It's a peaceful and beautiful time that I enjoy and it helps to round out my day. Back to the sunsets and noting other things that can help ground me! I appreciate your input!

KimmyJJ

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 58 views