Issues after Cancer Treatment

Steffyren
on 4/1/21 7:35 am - New Milford, NJ
VSG on 03/20/19

Hi Everyone...Im post Gastric Sleeve surgery 2 years. Last November I was diagnosed with a rare form of leukemia. Had Chemo in Dec and Immuno therapy Dec/Jan/Feb. I was official in remission on March 1st but now Im having issues like when I had my surgery 2 years ago. Massive Hair Loss (very scared on this as I had none during cancer treatment), throwing up after eating (like I did at the beginning after sleeve surgery)...things like I had at beginning of surgery. Has anyone had a similar experiences...wondering if this is normal or ????????????????

TheWombat
on 4/4/21 11:08 am
VSG on 06/11/18

So sorry for what you've been through. The only thing I can comment on is the hair loss. I'm not surprised you didn't see any hair loss until a few months after chemo. As I understand it; while stress (chemo, surgery, illness, etc.) can cause hair to stop growing, the hair doesn't usually fall out until new hair is ready to grow in. So ironically, by the time you see the problem, the underlying cause has usually been resolved. For that reason, I don't think vitamins or anything else would help. If hair stylists are open in your area, perhaps you could go to one who is experienced in this area who could give you a cut that makes hair loss less noticeable. (And even if hair stylists aren't open in general, there may be an exemption for your situation. I seem to recall a similar exemption here in Ireland.)

I would talk to your medical team about throwing up after eating. It might not be caused by the sleeve, but having a smaller stomach could be exacerbating the problem. I'm guessing they could put you on a PPI or something to help with the nausea.

Sorry my response isn't more useful. I don't have any experience in this area, but I didn't want your post to go unanswered.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views