GERD Numbers

ZhivagosGirl
on 4/7/21 7:16 pm

Hi,

As someone considering the VSG - I spent some time going back through old posts looking for anything remotely related to GERD, acid reflux, stomach acid, etc for the past 4 years (roughly 250 pages). I read through the relevant threads and made lists of the respondents who had the sleeve procedure done and had positive (no GERD) and negative (GERD) experiences. There were 77 total respondents - 35 people who did not have GERD and 42 that did have GERD. While it's only anecdotal numbers and the known universe is actually unknown, it certainly seems significant that more people had GERD than didn't.

Incidentally - I did the same thing on the RNY board - I found 14 cases of people reporting having GERD after their procedure over there. While certainly less than 42, it's certainly not 0.

Anyway - I'm sort of a research geek and found this interesting. Hopefully someone will find it helpful.

Lara

catwoman7
on 4/8/21 4:51 am
RNY on 06/03/15

about 30% of sleevers develop GERD (or if they had it prior to surgery, it sometimes - not always - but sometimes - gets worse). Often it can be treated medically, but some people end up getting revised to RNY.

RNY usually - not always, but usually - improves if not downright cures GERD.

ZhivagosGirl
on 4/8/21 6:56 am

I'd read that (about the 30%) that's why I thought it was interesting that more than 50% of the people *****sponded to posts about GERD et al on here actually had GERD.

Lara

catwoman7
on 4/8/21 7:32 am
RNY on 06/03/15

might be partially due to the fact that people are more likely to post when they have issues than when they don't ... people who are having problems are often seeking advice or support.

Neonanrs
on 11/8/21 7:00 am

I've been sleeved since 2015 and have not experienced GERD. Best of luck to you...I love my smaller stomach.

Surgery date 9-23-15, SW: 212 CW: 125

Doctors goal reached in 6 months. Personal goal reached in 11 months

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 28 views