Does hunger really go away?

Minnie-Me
on 5/10/21 5:35 am
VSG on 07/26/21

Thank you so much for that honest answer. I will be careful with carbs and trigger foods after surgery. I guess I was hoping my cravings would change, but sounds like they never fully go away.

hollykim
on 5/10/21 9:30 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 10, 2021 at 12:35 PM Pacific Time, Minnie-Me wrote:

Thank you so much for that honest answer. I will be careful with carbs and trigger foods after surgery. I guess I was hoping my cravings would change, but sounds like they never fully go away.

no surgery is going to make ravings go away. Cravings are a mind thing. Surgery is done on our stomachs or our brains/ minds.
we still have to make a concerted effort to choose not to listen to our minds about cravings.

ladygodiva1228
on 5/12/21 2:18 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

I'm surprised you are getting the sleeve after the band. Most band patients who go to the sleeve end up revising to either the DS or Bypass due to excessive reflux. I'm a band to bypass revision because the band caused damage and the sleeve was a no go. Might want to rethink getting the sleeve especially if you had any issue at all with the band.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Minnie-Me
on 5/12/21 3:12 am
VSG on 07/26/21

Thank you so much for that insight. I actually didn't have reflux issues with the band - it eroded into my stomach instead. Not sure if that makes a difference. My doc and I did discuss the other options, but given that I am only 40lbs from goal weight, it didn't make sense to do something more drastic.

Having said that, I will definitely be on the lookout for reflux issues after the surgery, as you mentioned. I really appreciate you giving me that advice.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 5/25/21 10:20 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Wow, this forum is awfully quiet these days! I feel like I definitely get hungry and have since year 2. But sometimes it is just head hunger. I have a hard time distinguishing. The sleeve reduces the portion size one can eat especially if the food is protein dense, but it isn't a magic solution in the longer run. I am on regain #2, the first being 20 pounds worth and the latest is 15. If I had not had VSG, my regains would have been at least twice as much.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Minnie-Me
on 5/25/21 2:04 pm
VSG on 07/26/21

Thanks so much. Sounds similar to most surgeries where we still have to do our part. I know I will have a hard time with the head hunger part myself, but I'm happy to hear that you had two good years before that became a factor. I hope to change my gain it's as much as possible the first few months to a year.

Alexpope
on 5/26/21 3:19 pm
RNY on 10/21/20

I had rny back in October and I am rarely hungry. I have even had my nutritionist tell me that I need to eat more calories but from what I hear this is the time to make the most of the weight loss. I can't attest to a long term affect of hunger being gone but I have heard people in my support group that are 2 + yrs say that they are not hungry that it is more of a head hunger. Good luck on your surgery.

Minnie-Me
on 5/27/21 3:43 am
VSG on 07/26/21

Thank you so much for the response.

On a separate note, where is everyone hanging out on this forum these days? I used to be an active, daily user when I first had my lap band many years ago, but the level of activity seems to have died down significantly.

catwoman7
on 5/27/21 3:50 am
RNY on 06/03/15

yes it's much less active than it was when I joined seven years ago. I think that may be true of internet forums like this in general. It seems more people are using Facebook groups these days instead of these kinds of forums.

Minnie-Me
on 5/27/21 4:00 am
VSG on 07/26/21

Thanks. I'm not on FB, but I did find the main WL forum here which seems to have a little more activity. I like to read about what other folks have learned throughout their journeys. Helps keep me motivated.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 36 views