How to ask PCP for referral

CR2414
on 5/25/21 1:47 pm

Hi all,

I am interested in learning if I am a good candidate for bariatric surgery from a surgeon but my insurance requires a referral from my PCP. Is that something I can just outright ask my pcp for or is that a big "no"? I technically meet the weight requirements to be covered by my insurance but could she just say "no" because she is against it? I've tried conventional dieting and exercise and I'm down and sort of maintaining from my highest weight but I'm still morbidly obese and I'm struggling on my own.

I've desperately tried losing weight on my own but tend to regain or never get anywhere near low enough to be what is considered "healthy". I have a non alcoholic fatty liver and I'm so scared I'll die young or something and that my children won't have a mom. I've had a friend who had VSG two years ago and she is doing well and seems to be maintains her weight loss. Have those of you who have had VSG found that maintences is a bit more realistic after surgery?

catwoman7
on 5/26/21 6:05 am
RNY on 06/03/15

most PCP's seem to be OK with it and are glad to do the referral, but some aren't - so all you can do is ask her. If she refuses, then you can always find another PCP who's more bariatric-surgery friendly.

Most Active