how much weight did you lose?

Jetta311
on 10/19/21 7:33 pm

especially for the older crowd. how much did you lose? did you reach goal? I'm 47 265 goals 165, 130 ultimate. do I have a shot at ultimate or will i be lucky to get to liveable goal?

hollykim
on 10/20/21 9:33 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 20, 2021 at 2:33 AM Pacific Time, Jetta311 wrote:

especially for the older crowd. how much did you lose? did you reach goal? I'm 47 265 goals 165, 130 ultimate. do I have a shot at ultimate or will i be lucky to get to liveable goal?

I was 55 when I had my surgery snd weighed 243 pounds. I lost 122 pounds snd have maintained the loss for 11 years. It is possible.

White Dove
on 10/20/21 10:08 am - Warren, OH

Realistically people lose about 100 pounds with RNY and about 80 pounds with VSG. They learn to eat too much again, even with a small stomach and gain back about 20 pounds in the third year after surgery.

If you want to end up at 130 pounds, then do not start a maintenace program until you are at 110. You have one window of opportunity where weight loss is easy. That is about 18 months. After that it is very difficult to lose any more and very easy to start regaining. Twenty pounds of regain from lowest point is pretty much universal.

About 50% of weight loss surgery patients have lost about 80% of their excess weight and maintaining at five years. For people without weight loss surgery who lose the same about of weight about 97% have regained it all after five years.

With surgery, you still need to exercise and eat properly to lose the weight and maintain the loss. The lasting change has to take place in your brain. Without surgery your chance of maintaing a large weight loss is 3% to 5%.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

reree6898
on 11/6/21 6:07 am - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

I am not sure what category I fit into age wise, I was 36 almost 37 when I had my sleeve and I am 43 now. Everyone will have a different opinion of what will be lost and what can be maintained etc. However what it all really boils down to is that people will get out of any weight loss surgery what they put into it. If your going to do the work and keep up with it for the long haul then yes you will be successful and reach your goals. Many people get burnt out and start falling back into bad habits which leads them back to weight regain and many end up back obese. For me I lost over 200 pounds with the sleeve and I have maintained that for six years now. I started to have a little bit of regain last year dealing with the pandemic issues and with taking care of my mom who was in end stage kidney failure. I have now gotten myself back on track and lost the few pounds I needed to. I have lost close to 90% of my excess weight which is more than what my surgeon expects from his bypass patients let alone a sleeve patient. So as I said you will get out of it what you put into it.

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Lost 161 lbs since surgery, LOST 221 lbs overall so far!!

Agran
on 1/2/22 7:26 pm

Hi, thank you so much for posting your story. I am hoping you wouldn't mind sharing with me some of your wisdom.

I had VSG 4.5 years ago. I have, over the past two years, seen my weight creeping up a bit and I have now added 15 pounds that I need to get rid of. Would you mind sharing with me the macros you are currently consuming each day (calories, protein grams, carbs, fat) and any other ideas that you would share for me to get back on track.

Thank you so much and happy new year to you. Agran

reree6898
on 1/3/22 6:21 pm - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

Hi there. I had to get real with myself and get back to measuring and making sure that I stayed honest with what I was entering into my fitness pal and not under estimating how much I was eating. I try to stay between 800 & 1000 calories a day. I don't do no carbs but I watch my total carbs and just work to keep those as low as possible. I make sure to log everything into my fitness pal to try to stay accountable, I have well over 2000 consecutive days logged at this point.

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Lost 161 lbs since surgery, LOST 221 lbs overall so far!!

TheWombat
on 11/7/21 1:26 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

I was 58 when I had the surgery. I went from 125 kg (276 lbs) to 57 kg (126 lbs). In other words, I lost all of my excess weight and am comfortably in the healthy BMI range.

Southernbelle2021
on 11/23/21 5:21 pm
VSG on 10/08/19

I was over forty when I got sleeved. I have lost over 136 pounds and weigh 126 pounds. I am in year 2 and have surpassed my 150 pound weight goal.

Most Active