Gummies?

ipray
on 7/4/22 3:26 pm
VSG on 11/06/14

Hello, I think I may be lactose intolerant. I had my gallbladder taken out about 2 years ago. I have been having nausea/diarrhea every day for a while now and have originally attributed it to stress. (I have lost my mother, sister in-law and my husband has been suffering with a serious medical problem). I thought maybe I could be lactose intolerant and was previously drinking pre-made (Qwest) protein shakes but have switched to Quest protein powder as it is lower in lactose. Still having problems, so want to cut out lactose completely. I have found protein gummies at Bariatric Pal and was wondering if we can take gummies with VSG? (I have been using melatonin gummies at night as well as I thought they may work faster than pill form). Thanks all and Happy 4th!

califsleevin
on 7/5/22 7:40 am - CA

I don't see any reason why a gummie wouldn't be compatible. They look a bit expensive for what you get ($4 for a 13g of protein) and the collagen isn't the best protein for us, but as far out as you are, protein density shouldn't be a big deal. 100% whey isolate protein is usually well tolerated as all of the lactose has been filtered out (Quest is a cheaper whey concentrate or blend) My wife is lactose intolerant as has no problem with protein powders as long as they are strictly whey isolate.

You can also try using lactaid tablets when having something suspected of having lactose as a trial, or try some of the other proteins out there - egg, pea, soy, etcf.

Good luck...

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

ipray
on 7/5/22 8:32 am
VSG on 11/06/14

Thank you for taking the time to reply! I have been using the Pure Protein 100% whey protein powder (thought it was Quest, but I checked again) and still having issues so didn't know if it was the powder. I have cut out practically all dairy except the protein powder and Greek yogurt. (I am going to cut out the yogurt as well). These two things really helped to up my protein intake, as I haven't felt like eating, so it is hard to find replacement proteins. You are right, the gummies are expensive for such low protein! I am definitely going to order some Lactaid tablets as soon as I get done with this post. They have a fast acting chewable, so will give that a try. If all fails, I will make an appointment to see a Gastrologist. Thanks you again for the advice!!!

califsleevin
on 7/5/22 8:39 am - CA

IIRC, the pure protein is 100% whey, it is not 100% isolate, which is more expensive (check the ingredients label, it will probably be part isolate, part whey blend or concentrate. If it's 100% isolate, they usually brag about it on the front of the label, as it is the most desirable (and expensive) form. The past few years my wife has been using the Optimum Nutrition Isolate, which we could usually get at Costco, but it's been getting harder to find, even on Amazon, with their cheaper blended products being more common. So it can be a search sometimes.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

ipray
on 7/5/22 8:53 am
VSG on 11/06/14

You are right! I spent most of yesterday online trying to find a decent protein powder that is lactose free. I ended up ordering the Orgain Organic Vegan Plant protein. (I am sure it won't taste as good, but will have to sacrifice). The reviews were good, except concerns for metals, which seem to be mixed, but it is inexpensive and I am a senior on a fixed income. If I can't tolerate it I will try to find the Optimum Nutrition Isolate. (These types proteins are so expensive!). Thank you!

LosingItMyWeigh
on 7/7/22 1:45 pm
VSG on 05/18/22

Hi there! Have you been checked to see if you have IBS? A lot of your symptoms are similar to mine & I do have IBS. Sometimes my flares last for a few weeks & then let up. Some it is every once in awhile. I used to also think I was intolerant until I cut that out & still had flares. Lots of allergy testing was done. Elimination diets. Ended up being IBS.

And I am 7 weeks PO & started taking fiber gummies on Saturday. They didn't start working until Monday. No issues thus far. I just treat them as food in that no drinking 30 minutes before or after. They have helped keep me regular since Monday.

good luck!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views