A.better.me’s Posts

A.better.me
on 1/1/18 5:36 pm
Topic: RE: My New Years resolution has changed this year

For the first year in a very long time, loosing weight is not something that's on my list. Can I get an "Amen"?!?! That has been replaced with continuing on my journey to happiness and once I reach my goal weight - maintaining it!!

I am so thankful for the change in my life that my tool has helped me achieve this last year. It's still a daily struggle to continue to make good choices and realize that the bad food isn't worth falling back in to bad habits that made my life miserable. I'm so much of a happier person and have become my old outgoing self.

Here's to 2018. Bring it!!! ð?'??

Height: 5'5"

SW: 251 (07/05/17)

CW: 161 (03/22/18)

GW: 160

A.better.me
on 1/1/18 5:27 pm
Topic: RE: Starting around 250, need some advice!

I'm just a few days from being at 6 months out. I'm 6 pounds from my goal of 160 already. I had no idea that it would be so soon. I'm not 100% strict 100% of the time but I do try to stay away from bad carbs and sugar for the most part.

Month 1 - 34.8

month 2 - 13.2

month 3 - 10.8

month 4 - 11

month 5 - 8.4

month 6 - 7 (still have 4 more days to count)

I have reset my goal to 150. Who knows...I may reset it again when I hit that ?

Stick to your eating plan. Get your water and protein goals in each day. I was walking but got off track but plan to get back to it this coming week

Good luck!!

A.better.me
on 12/12/17 10:48 am
Topic: RE: ? for the veteran VSGers and tummy tuck patients

I am currently 5.5 months out of VSG surgery. I went from 251 to 171 as of today. Size 22 to a 12/14. My goal was to get to 160#, size 10/12. I am loosing about 8-11# per month. When will it slow? I am sooooo looking forward to a tummy tuck but I do not want to do it too early. How long should I wait? I know I shouldn't do it now but is 1 year out too soon? I can deal with my boobs, arms aren't bad at all, but my stomach is just gross!.

Thanks!!!

A.better.me
on 10/12/17 12:35 pm
Topic: RE: How low is too low?

I am a little over 3 months out. I actually emailed my NUT today with this exact question. I am getting 60-80 grams of protein in a day. In the first 2 months I lost 51# (most due to a complication) This last month I had hit my stall. The one thing I did notice though was on days that my calories were higher, I lost more weight that particular day. I am getting less than 600 calories per day on a "normal" day. On days I feel like I am eating way more, I am getting 700-900 and those are the days more weight comes off.

A.better.me
on 8/26/17 6:46 am
Topic: RE: Considering VSG surgery please help!

I had the sleeve. I am doing better. Still no explaination for my problems. I am on purees until Sept 1. Seems like an eternity!! Hopefully solid foods will do well.

Good luck!

A.better.me
on 8/18/17 12:30 pm
Topic: RE: My update

Have you read on here where anyone else has had my problem? I feel better today but I would love to know when I may come out of this..!!..

A.better.me
on 8/18/17 10:03 am

No. I've only had an issue with reflux maybe 2-3 times a year and it was only due to something I had eaten.

A.better.me
on 8/18/17 8:32 am, edited 8/18/17 8:43 am

its been a few days since I posted. Here's my update.

ER trip #2 was a week ago Thursday I think. That doctor diagnosed me with something totally different than ER doc #1 did. ER trip #3 was on this past Saturday. He spoke directly to the radiologist that did my swallow test. He said I had inflammation and NO food was stuck which is what my surgeon said was my problem.

I had a scope run down into my stomach on Tuesday to see if they could figure it all out. It showed NO inflammation, NO food stuck, only a slight curve at the bottom of my stomach that is normally a bit more straight. And he saw acid. So I came home with meds for acid, nausea, vomiting, stomach muscle relaxer. At this time, they cannot explain why I've been so sick. I finally was able to get down 3/4 of a protein shake down yesterday and have almost gotten down all of one today. I still get sick if I don't take my meds.

I just happen to be one of the few that is having complications and it totally stinks. I've lost 45# in 44 days. Hopefully, I'm mending and will turn the corner soon.

A.better.me
on 8/18/17 8:21 am
Topic: RE: Considering VSG surgery please help!

I have debated posting a reply for you. I asked the same questions when I started back in Dec 2016. I had about 5 friends that had it done around that time and 4 were like "it's such a blessing". The 1 had a harder time - in the hospital numerous times for fluids and throwing up like crazy. I was like "oh that won't happen to me. I'll be one with no complications " WRONG.

I did fine right out of surgery. No bad gas pains like I had read about. Only a little soreness at the incisions but they didn't last long. I did struggle from the beginning on getting enough fluids down wether it be water or protein shakes. My body just couldn't handle it. So I was extremely fatigued for 2 weeks. By week 3, I felt like I was on the mend. Week 4, my nightmare began. Click on my profile name and read my previous 2 posts. I will probably post an update later today or tomorrow.

Dont ever think "it can't happen to me" because it can. This still can be my biggest blessing but right now, I cannot say that.

A.better.me
on 8/11/17 7:38 pm
Topic: RE: Hard lesson! ~ newbies please read ~ Positive comments only please

My surgeons nurse said there was food in my tummy. I didn't know what questions to ask. I was just relieved that the cause of my problems was discovered. I'm surprised too that they are waiting that long as sick as I am. If I get sick tomorrow, I think I may call them and tell them I cannot wait and see what they say.

A.better.me
on 8/11/17 4:40 pm
Topic: RE: Hard lesson! ~ newbies please read ~ Positive comments only please

See my previous post to see what I'm currently suffering with!!

After going back to the ER last night for the 2nd time in less than a week, I found out the results for my upper GI test today. I have food stuck in my tummy I now have to suffer until this coming Tuesday when I go back to the hospital for an EDG (they will run a scope down my throat that I'm guessing has something attached to the end to grab the food to pull it out) This is why my liquid intake has been so limited and why any food I eat makes me sick. The nurse is hopeful that after this procedure and the inflammation goes away, that the reflux will too.

NEWBIES -- it doesn't matter what you see people on social media eating or what you ask someone you know that's had VSG done, what they ate at what point!!!! Do what your surgeon suggests!! I ate a piece of thin sliced deli chicken about 9 days early. I was still supposed to be on puréed but had become just sick of it and wanted to chew something. Now....now I have to restart all the phases all over again after the food is removed.

I'm so mad at myself for giving in and doing something off my plan and now I'm paying for it big time. But I'm happy that they have finally figured it out and hopefully I will be on the mend next week.

I have to joke about it so I told a sleeve sister that I'll be at goal before I'm able to even eat regular food in September!

A.better.me
on 8/8/17 7:39 am
Topic: RE: Ticker test

testing my ticker and signature

A.better.me
on 8/8/17 7:04 am
Topic: RE: I hope this gets better!!!

I had surgery on July 5. All was good for 3 weeks. I did struggle with protein intake just because chocolate is the only flavor shake I really like.

Well, last Tuesday, I started feeling really sick. I started dry heaving really bad. Nothing would come up. Since then, I haven't hardly been able to get 10 oz of water down a day. In total I've had one half yogurt, half of a jello, half of a pudding, and yesterday I had about an ounce of yogurt. I went to the ER on Friday to get some fluids and my blood work came back that my potassium was so low I required 2 bags of IV just for that. She brought in a pill for me to take but I can't swallow them yet.

I have come to the conclusion that I am suffering from severe acid reflux. I saw the NUT yesterday and she was so concerned that she made me an appt with the surgeon for today to tell him everything that's going on to make sure that's what it is. The ER gave me a prescription for some meds. I found out Saturday that my insurance doesn't pay for that and it will be $572. No thanks. So I've tried Maalox and breaking open a capsule of nexium. So far that hasn't worked. Drinking water makes it worse. The acid doesn't hurt but it makes my stomach and throat feel so full then I start getting nauseous.

Please tell me this can get better. I've read where some people have to have a revision to the bypass which I do not want. I've lost 38 lbs in 30 days.

A.better.me
on 7/20/17 5:32 pm
Topic: RE: Really struggling with Protein shakes (puree stage)

My NUT has recommended Unjury powder protein. I loved the chocolate splendor the first week after surgery (July 5) but now, it's all I can do to choke it down. I really liked the Premier shakes before surgery and have drank a couple since but now I can't drink them either. I don't not like the vanilla or strawberry at all. I've just started the puree stage but am only able to get 1-2oz of food down at a meal. I can get about 30oz of water down and that's pushing it at this point. Please help!! I know I've got to get the protein in but I feel like I'm at a dead end!!

A.better.me
on 7/13/17 5:09 pm, edited 7/13/17 5:36 pm
Topic: RE: Unflavored Unjury protein mix ideas - HELP!

I had surgery on July 5. I'm still on liquids until the 20th. I'm SICK of chocolate protein shakes. I've got unflavored but I've heard I need something strong to mask the taste of it.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

A.better.me
on 7/13/17 10:53 am
Topic: RE: Is this DUMPING?

* liquids in - liquids out. Sorry didn't see the spelling error.

A.better.me
on 7/13/17 10:52 am
Topic: RE: Is this DUMPING?

I had surgery on the 5th. 2 days later I was in the bathroom 2 times like that. 4 times the day after. Protein shakes and water only was my input. Scared me to death. But I read "liquids in - liquids our" so it didn't bother me too much after that.

A.better.me
on 7/11/17 11:26 am
Topic: RE: 8 days post op! Miserable

I'm a newbie but I don't know what I would do if I couldn't have the protein shake. I was able to start on day 3. It was too heavy that day. The next morning, instead of using 8oz of Fairlife milk, I used 12oz with Unjury Chocolate Splendor protein. It made it as thin as normal milk. I just sipped away all day on it.

Ive been reading in forums since my process started in December and you are the only one I've read about that the Dr has said no protein shakes for that long. Some let people the day after. Most are on like day 3 after surgery.

Hopefully they will help you somehow!

Most Active