Follow Up: Common to Relapse 3-5 Yrs Post Op?

Unconventional_Beaut
y

on 3/24/11 11:44 am - MI
Wow. I had NO idea how many of us are clinging to the edge, relapsing, regaining, and struggling.

I was so ashamed of my inability to complete the 5DPT earlier this month, that I hid from you all and stopped posting.  Tonight, I thought I would "lurk" and see if anyone responded to my "Common to Relapse" post.

20 responses???? Really???? Whoa.  I thought I was alone in this struggle, but it seems we're all stepping out from the shadows, whispering "You, too?"

So many of us posted about needing a support group.  I think that is a WONDERFUL idea! The more we can connect, the more we can uncover our shame.  There is so much healing that can take place when we are free from shame.  So how do we want to do this? Personally, I think real human connection is KEY so we can draw close together and stop the self-isolation.  I propose a weekly phone conference, with a group leader, a weekly topic, and time after the topic for each of us to discuss our thoughts/struggles/accomplishments. 

Are their online phone conferencing options, where we can connect with webcams and sound?

Or do we want to do it the old fashioned, phone conference way?

This group needs to be helpful and useful for everyone, so please share your thoughts. What would you like to see in a group? How often should we gather? For how long each time? Etc.

Hugs,
Heather

I don't hardly recognize myself or my life anymore!

Kim S.
on 3/24/11 10:40 pm - Helena, AL
I'm open to whatever yall decide.  Support is important in long term weight control.  It is easy for us to think we are "normal" and try to live like everyone else.....until we see the needle go up on the scale....then we are jolted to reality and see that we are not "like everybody else".

I guess it is like addiction (not everyone, myself included is addicted to food) in that I know recovering addicts think they can have "one drink" or "one cigarrette" but they can't.  It is the gateway to a landslide......with weight, we are the same way.  We cannot ever think ourselves "normal" in that our metabolism is still pretty close to what it was when we were obese.  So "one piece of cake" in the same week as "just a few cookies" can send that scale in the undesired direction.....and then the self sabotage begins because we are disappointed in ourselves, so we eat more.....and so on and so on.........

With regular intense exercise we can make some changes to our metabolism, but it still wont be "normal".  I'm just getting to the 2 year mark and can already see that I have to be ever vigilant and react when that needle goes up 2 or 3 lbs.....because I know me--if it gets over 5, I'll throw in the towel.

We are here for ya!  I'm interested to see what responses you'll get.

Kim

kilmarlic
on 3/24/11 11:58 pm - powells point, NC
You've been on my mind. Glad to see you're back and posting. I think the phone conference is a wonderful idea.

I personally am going back to the "south beach" way of eating and I've got the support from the group of girls I work with. Right this minute I'm excited about it. We're all doing the 2 week induction phase starting on Monday. South Beach &/or Atkins was what my surgeon had recommended. Certainly low carb has worked for me in the past. When I do it properly I don't feel like I'm missing out on things like so often happens when I've "dieted" in the past.

Let me know if you need anything to help get started.

- Iris

Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Highest      Surgery    Lowest      Current                                                                 

314.5          294          208        258.4

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/25/11 12:32 am
up to 2.5 years post op - it was easy for me to maintain.  Now... closer to 3 years post op mark - my body resits any loss.
I do not eat that much, I think I even eat less than at 2 years mark... but the weight is just creeping up... I even follow low carb diet... but on some days that I slip... (still getting not too many carbs overall) my body puts everything away in fat cells. So not cool.

I think that at this point my body is making more and more insulin, (as per study re reactive hypoglycemia post op RNY) and that what is causing the regain. 
That is my take on the situation.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

SUNRAY
on 3/25/11 3:45 pm - Sacramento, CA
Hi Heather
I've been thinking of starting up a group thru OH as I just completed their support group leader program.  I just wasn't sure which direction to take.  I'm not a real smart techie person but I do know that conferencing can be accomplished using Skype...my husband talks to several people at once using it.  I've joined in on these calls and if your computer has a webcam, you can also see others on the call who also have a webcam.  There is no charge for using Skype, just need earphones and a mic.

There is alot of material out there to assist with regain...Facebook has a couple of groups (that I know) that are led by Collen Cook, the author of the book  'The Success Habits of Weight Loss Surgery Patients'.  She covers the 'six principals of weight loss' success.  These could be some very helpful topics to consider.

Well, that's my thoughts for the moment ;-)  I would be willing to co-host/lead this group if someone else was willing.  I'm just past 2years post op....I still have alot to learn (and practice!).  I think the format you describe above is a wonderful starting place! ;-)
Hugs
Nancy aka Sunray

243.0/213.0/141/130  Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal

Bonnie ABC
on 3/26/11 4:03 am - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
I loved your first post.   I am actually running a group here in Ottawa Canada for long term post ops, and used your post as our discussion topic for last month.  You are correct, people are scared to show that it's hard further out.  But we need to share.  We need to know we are not alone in this struggle.   Thank you for opening the discussion from me, and last months members.  
We also started an on-line group, but can't say there is much activity.  I think these discussions such as yours need to be done in person, or on a chat area.   Live I mean.  

Bonnie

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
marwhit
on 3/26/11 5:55 am
Hi, I had my surgery 7 years ago and have put on 30 lbs. working on taking it off. I had lost a total of 175 lbs. I am now working as a health coach in Natick ma running groups on healthy eating and feeding your family healthy meals. I would love to start a group for people that had surgery and need support as the years go on.
If any of you are interested in this please let me know I would be glad to offer this group time and space.

Be good to you
geri
morgansmommy
on 3/26/11 7:36 am - Gig Harbor, WA
I am not "techie" but am interested in participating. I am 6.5 years out never made it to a weight goal but have met other goals; smaller than a size 14, run, do any activity that I want, and to be healthy.
Mary
grannysgirl
on 3/28/11 1:32 pm - kitchener, Canada
I love the idea of a group discussion! Skype is a good way to do it, count me in!

Sue

cosmgrl
on 3/31/11 4:23 am
Heather....I am SO glad you posted this. I have been STRUGGLING so bad the past 5 months or so. I was an avid runner/exercise junkie then suffered a knee injury and THEN I got the worst seasonal depression EVER and literally never wanted to leave my house  (so unlike the NEW me). I can't believe I gained back almost 30 lbs in 5 months (I'm still down 88). I truly thought I had overcome my food demons but THEN I discovered I could still turn to carbs and chocolate in mass quanities. I never reached my personal goal and NOW with this extra weight I want/need to lose 50 LBS. I could certainly use some support! Thanks so much. Hugs to you.

Most Active
Recent Topics