Is it Worth it? YES!!

Alisa.MN.RNY
on 4/26/11 9:54 pm - WI

For unknown reasons, after having my Bypass done nearly five years ago; all of a sudden I received this link in my email! 
  I thought it might be nice to just mention to all of you out there who are considering or have recently had this procedure done to hear from an old veteran.
 I cannot properly express to you the difference my weight loss has made in my life.  My goal was to get down from a 22 to a 14 just to finally shop in the "normal" section.  I have Multiple Sclerosis and was pre- diabetic and hypertention.  I knew to manage my health that losing weight was going to be the key factor.
 I am so full of emotion I can barely type.  I have not been hospitalized for M.S. since, I can run 5 five flights of stairs without breaking a sweat.  The bonus was not only did I get to a 14, I dropped a total of ELEVEN dress sizes!
 I am 5'9" and a size 1, yes you read corrrectly, a ONE!  I am healthy and strong and my body when I gave it the jump start of surgery had the weight litterally melt off.  I had purposely surrounded myself in fat for "protection".  Naturally, I am a small person.
 Even as I write this, I have sense of disbelief.  I see a mirror now and the woman I always was inside is reflected on the outside.  This surgery is a TOOL!  Do not think it is the finish line.  May 25, 2006 started a process that must be adheared to daily and it is a whole lotta work.
 I excercise and dispite being told how I would learn to "love the burn", pffft, nonsense, I hate every moment of it, but my health demands it.  It was over 2 years until I could eat so much as a bite of bread.  Easter just passed and I wanted to load up a heaping plate, not a chance at being able to eat more than average 2 year old.
 Is it worth it?  Do you feel YOU are worth it?  In my case the answer to both is yes indeed.  Took awhile for me to believe the second part, but yes, I am worth it.  I like me (which was quite a suprise) no more self-loathing.  Professionals may tell you otherwise, but in my case people do indeed treat me differently.  
 I am just going to pop this on the board.  I have never updated my picutures but I will learn how to.  Seeing is believing.  Now I am going to shut up, lol.  I hope my little story can give even one person the boost or encouragment they might need.  Write me anytime

berts4
on 4/27/11 7:07 am - Rock City, IL
Thanks Alisa!

It is good to hear a success story and this might be the encouragement I am needing.  I often wonder if I am worth...........................much of anything.  This is probably behind a lot of my "issues"  I never got even close to goal and now need to lose 20 lbs of regain.  I struggle everyday to "get back on track" and to move.  I am better off than I was before surgery almost 7 years ago, but still feel like a failure as I never crossed out of the "obese" category on the BMI chart.

Thanks for the positive thoughts and story!

Tell someone that you love them!
Dawn
253/223/167/127
HW/SW/CW/GW

(deactivated member)
on 4/28/11 11:37 pm
My story fits somewhere between yours and Alisa.  I am six years out and a little above goal weight, but I am 66 and large frame.  It has been worth it and yes, people treat me differently.  I love my new life.

I walk most days, but can not seem to get to the gym very often.

Ruby
rny  3/11/2005
262/125/135
hi/lo/today
5'1"
66 years old    
Most Active
Recent Topics