Consistency

Carlita
on 5/9/11 7:11 pm - N.F., PA
How do you maintain consistency?  I was having some good days last week, then Mom's Day hit, and yesterday, someone brought in a huge bag of chocolate candy, and put it in the basket on my co-worker's desk!  To me that's like putting a bottle of wine in front of an alcoholic.  Yet, I know these kinds of situations will always exist in my life.  But I've never been able to overcome them and have the discipline it takes to say no/avoid them.  I'm sure this is why I've regained 60 pounds since my WLS.  What do you all do?  I need some new strategies.

On a higher note, I have been doing more exercise lately.  I truly would love to stay consistent with that as well. 
jlmartin
on 5/10/11 12:06 am - Random Lake, WI
I have some:

1)  Never buy larger sized clothes.  You will either have to stop eating or go naked.

2)  Eat the same number of calories each day.  If you've consumed them by noon, it's going to be a long day and you may want to rethink your habits for tomorrow.

3)  If you eat a treat, do extra cardio to burn the calories.  Most people hate excercise so the food loses its appeal if you need 40 mins of extra treadmill.

Carlita
on 5/10/11 3:29 am - N.F., PA
Amusing!  May work for some folks, but I'm not that disciplined.  I've already bought many larger clothes, and in increasingly larger sizes!  I would never go hungry so the stopping at Noon won't work.  And what is cardio exactly?  LOL

Seriously, thank you for your input.  If you can be this disciplined, I give you a lot of credit.
jlmartin
on 5/10/11 6:19 am - Random Lake, WI
My YMCA (where I go for cardio) has motivational posters.  One of them says:

WINNERS MAKE IT HAPPEN, LOSERS LET IT HAPPEN.

I read a bit of resignation in your message: you admit to not being disciplined, don't want to go hungry, and laugh about excercise.

My favorite saying has always been "there is no fate but that which you make."  I guess you can't ever try and fail if you never try.  Am I hungry right now?  In the sense that I want to eat, yes, but I always want to eat (even right after a meal).  I'm physcially not starving so I'm choosing not to eat.

Good Luck!

Carlita
on 5/11/11 11:31 pm - N.F., PA

Honestly, I am very happy for your success, and that you have found a way to make this work for you.  I can tell that you are highly committed to your success, and you deserve many kudos for being able to accomplish so much in this area.

I don't want you to get the wrong impression of me.  If you knew me, you would know that I'm a very strong and disciplined person in a great many areas of my life.  Weight control is not one of them.  I have always struggled with it, and I believe I always will.

Prior to WLS, I probably joined/rejoined Weigh****chers 5 or 6 times.  My most successful attempt produced a 60 pound weight loss.  However, I was not able to adopt the required lifestyle changes needed to maintain the weight loss.  I did many other weight loss programs, with similar results.

I have the kind of life where NOTHING has ever come easy.  I've had to work hard for everything that I have.  I just haven't figured out how to conquer this problem.  But I'm still OK with me and who I am.  My self-worth has never depended on a number I see on the scale.

Thanks again for sharing with me.  Best wishes for continued success.

Carlita
on 5/11/11 11:36 pm - N.F., PA
jenna F.
on 5/10/11 5:06 am
 For me I do my Vi-Shape Protein shake twice a day, everyday! That helps curb my appetite and my sweet tooth!!
Carlita
on 5/11/11 11:41 pm - N.F., PA
Yes, I am starting back with some protein shakes.  I am really finding that they help me, especially in the AM.  Amway (Nutrilite) makes a really great tasting shake, no sugar, and 25g of protein.  Thanks for the response.
Kim S.
on 5/10/11 5:50 am - Helena, AL
Stop the diet mentality.  If you want something, have some--a little.  If it isn't off limits it isn't so tempting.  Also, get your butt moving when you overindulge.......that is what thin people do--most don't "diet".......they increase the exercise when they feel "puffy"........and I agree with the previous poster about DO NOT BUY BIGGER CLOTHES.

Every time you open your mouth you are making a conscious choice about what you put in it.  Only you can control you.

You have to figure out why you don't make the right choices most of the time (we all will from time to time make less than perfect choices...).  I'm an 80/20 girl......80% of the time I'm compliant now that I'm in maintenance.

Kim

Carlita
on 5/11/11 11:46 pm - N.F., PA
Thanks, Kim for your response.  There is a lot of wisdom in everything you say.  I guess I have never been able to figure out why I don't make the right choices enough of the time.  This has been the biggest burden of my life!  I wish I could get a brain transplant from a thin person!

Best wishes to you for continued success!
Most Active
Recent Topics