Needed to come back!!!

mom4sadie
on 7/12/11 3:10 pm - Williamsburg, KY
I am almost 3 years post gastric bypass and a lot has gone on in that almost 3 years.  10 months after gastric bypass I had two different cancers diagnosed.. but luckily both were stage 1 but I did have to do 6 rounds of chemo.. and because of the effects of chemo I had to start eating.. eating anything to get calories and fluids in.. that started me on a bad course... lots more has happened since then but after I got to eating anything.. it just keeps snowballing!!!

4 months ago I got married.. became a stay at home mom to a 5 year old and my  life has changed drastically.  Moved away from home... moved to the country.. etc.  Feeling very overwhelmed.. depressed.. stressed.. you name it.  Anyways.. in the past 4 months I have gained almost 15 pounds.. and I see the writing on the wall.  I am desperate for some help.  I was laying in bed.. not being able to sleep and I remembered OH and got back up to search it out...  Can some people help me find my way back???

Does anyone else struggle with having kids and their snacks around all the time?  I am not use to this and it is driving me nuts!!!

How do I find myself again?  I'm lost!!!???
Thanks....
Deb

Kim S.
on 7/13/11 6:11 am - Helena, AL
You beat cancer, you can beat fat!!  The first thing is to identify the behaviors that are making you overeat.  And also the behaviors that are making you "under move". 

Exercise has to become a part of your daily life if you want to win the battle against obesity.  Think of it as "fat chemo".  The exercise is destroying the stored fat and is the key ingredient in maintaining weight loss.

Since you are in a new area, seek out a gym or a Y where you can take the kiddo with you.  If you can't do a gym, then find a park or just get out on a country road and start moving.  Find exercise you like to do--you will be more likely to stick with it.  There are tons of great DVDs you can work out to.  I've never been in a gym and have managed to become quite fit by working out at home and running.

As for the eating.  You really shouldn't have to "diet".  It didn't work before, and it wont work now.  Begin to journal your food (honestly!!) and only allow yourself a set number of calories.  For instance, I have 1,500-1,800 per day and I work out 6 days a week.  So I am maintaining at that amount.  Try to start with 1,200-1,500 and follow the protein first rule.  I do much better when I have 6 small meals per day rather than trying to limit it to three.  There is no reason you should have to have snacks around that you can't eat.  Let the child snack on the things that are better for you like fresh fruit or veggies (make a dip for the veggies with the powdered ranch dip mix and plain Greek yogurt), graham crackers with peanut butter, cheese, etc. 

You worked too hard to lose this weight, and for goodness sakes YOU BEAT CANCER!!  You can get these pounds off to be the happiest, healthiest you that you can be.  You are worth it and you've got a family counting on you!

Come visit us often for support!!  Wishing you the best.

Kim

scrapbookingmomma

on 8/3/11 12:04 pm - Morgantown, WV
Deb you have gone through so much... take a deep breath and remember each day is a new day... one day at a time.  The good thing is that you realize that you need help now after gaining 15 lbs. and not 50
I have a 15 yr. old daughter and a husband who love snacks and sweet so this journey has been incredibly hard because we have been keeping those things in the house..plus I have a reputation as a baker and have a hard time NOT baking.... both of them need to lose weight.. I finally decided I would quit doing the things that are sabotaging my weight loss efforts.  They have both agreed to come on board with me. I wish I would've provided more nutritious snacks while my daughter was younger... more fresh fruits and veggies....  You will actually be providing a healthy environment if you do this.  I am not saying never have a cookie.. but make it a treat instead of a daily occurence.. unlike at my house..
You have a new marriage, a move.. went from working to not, city to country, a 5 year old child... Wow!  These things are major changes in your life.. it will take some time..  try to take some time for yourself to do something for you each day.. that is just for you.. give yourself time to reflect each day.
You beat cancer.. you deserve to enjoy life...life to its fullest..
Most Active
Recent Topics