HCG? Unusual Weight gain diagnoses?

Taminator
on 7/22/11 12:13 am - MS
I just read over what lesleemartin wrote and I am having some of the same issues. My surgery was December 2007. Lost to within 15 pounds of my goal weight (and I'm extremely petite so I think a lot of the weight was the excess skin). I have been lax, allowing myself to eat whatever I want the past two years. As the weight started to creep back on I began resetting my goals realizing I was losing control over the gift I've been given.

Okay so here's an abbreviated version for consideration:

I am 4'10" inches so every pound looks like two.

Before wls no one could figure out why I was so heavy. Only one person in my family that I recall has been morbidly obese although diabetes runs on both sides of the family. I was tested for all "normal" weight gain contributors: thyroid, diabetes, you name it. NOTHING came up abnormal. I journaled my food intake for 8 months and my doctor was at a loss.

I am taking an anti-depressant in addition to my vitamin supplements and Allegra.

I have been forced to believe that the past two months that I'm going into early menopause. (Went through a similar spell that passed in my 30s but the women in my family are all early.)

I have regained 30 lbs and when I see pictures of myself I'm once again taken aback as I was before wls.

I have given a few half-hearted tries at returning to the plan. I did the five day pouch test then followed the diet about a week with no results. I gave serious effort for three weeks in another effort, intaking around 90 grams of protein and liquids per day. I was walking daily for a half hour with plans to increase it. I lost ONE pound and I'm back to the negative thinking and ground zero.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on? Anyone have any idea what could be wrong with my body that possibly circumvented the RNY after four years? Any ideas to help?

And most especially, I have seen a lady on here talking about HCG and wonder about it. I did some research online and couldn't yet find any negative effects in the general population but that could be because of the newness of the products. I also know the lady I saw on here sells it so I want an unbiased opinion of its use after wls from people who've tried it.

Any input would be appreciated on any or all of it!!!!
Kim S.
on 7/22/11 2:59 am - Helena, AL
First of all, HCG is nothing new...it is snake oil packaged in a new bottle.  There is tons on info on it on the WWW--I wouldn't do it.

I hate that you are having these issues.  From what I can determine (and I'm only a bit over 2 years out) the only way we can keep the weight off is the permanently change our lifestyle. 

You must build a significant amount of muscle so your metabolism improves and track everything you put in your mouth to ensure you are not taking in more than you are burning.  There are tests that can be done to determine exactly the amount of calories you need daily to stay the same--to lose, you'd need to go below that number, or burn more thru exercise so the net effect is a deficit.

As much as you don't want to hear it, it really is simple science.  Consume less than you burn and you lose weight.  The tool we have allows us to be disciplined to do that.

Stay away from fads and "get thin quick" gimmicks.  They didn't work before and they wont now.  Change your habits...and start slowly.  You can do this, you already did!!

Kim

Betsy C.
on 7/23/11 5:45 am - Efland, NC
Kim - I'm really sorry you think HCG is snake oil in a bottle.  I did a ton of research on i****ched Dr. Oz specifically NOT condemn it after his wife lost weight quite successfully on it, and have a number of friends who have done quite well on this program prior to my starting it.  I have now lost 35 lbs (over half my 60 lb regain) since April 26th.  There is no other way I could lose that much weight in such a short period of time and feel as good as I do.  

I honestly don't care if someone buys HCG from me or someone else.  I'm not in this for the money.  I'm in it to lose weight and get healthy again.  I just got my lab results back yesterday, and all my numbers improved, including a 30 point drop in cholesterol.  

I remember when I was considering gastric bypass back in 2002-2003, how many people thought I was crazy to undergo such a "life-threatening" procedure.  My decision to take HCG drops now is no crazier than that decision was then.  One other thing, when I was as far out as you are now, and I had not begun to regain any weight yet,  I was still leading my surgeon's support group, and telling people how easy it was to keep the weight off after having gastric bypass.  I'm really happy for you that you have not struggled as others of us have, but you never know what is going to happen a week, a month, or a year down the road.  

Betsy

Lap RNY 5/7/03
I lost 50+ pounds of regained weight with hCG drops.

Taminator
on 7/26/11 11:17 am - MS

Thanks to both of you for answering.

Kim, I wish I had an easy answer but the doctor never could figure out why I gained weight the way I did and I'm wondering if my body isn't resetting itself to whatever that was pre-surgery. I was hoping someone would have some condition outside the normal diagnoses for me to consider. I have tried the diet/exercise routine and while I feel better the weight isn't coming off. I dieted and exercised hard for three weeks with not a pound of loss.

Betsy, I did end up going with Anu-Med International e-HCG and I'm on the second day of the 500 calorie phase. When I weighed yesterday morning after just ONE 500 calorie day I was down 4 lbs! I know it's likely water weight and especially women's weight fluctuates sometimes a good amount daily but it was so nice to see that scale move! I do have a couple of questions for you. I didn't realize until today that they say you can only boil or grill the meat...I baked some and it was okay. Do you know if baking is acceptable (used lemon juice and chicken broth for moisture)? With my pouch I need foods a little easier to digest so moisture is essential but how do you boil fish fillets - LOL!

Betsy C.
on 7/27/11 3:00 am - Efland, NC
Congrats on your loss. The protocol I have thru Omnitrition does not limit cooking of meat to grilling or boiling. Baking, even sauteeing is fine, as long as no oil is used. Last night I sauteed shrimp in a little water and Bragg's Aminos (it's a gluten-free soy sauce and is allowed on our protocol). I pan fry fish too. Just need a good non-stick pan. Also, gotta read labels on all seasonings because some contain sugar and/or oil.

I hope this helps!

Lap RNY 5/7/03

Taminator
on 7/27/11 9:09 am - MS

Never knew that about spices. I will start checking from here on out. Today was three more pounds for a total of seven....in two days!

Betsy C.
on 7/27/11 9:20 am - Efland, NC
That's great! You're well on your weigh!

Lap RNY 5/7/03

stamegg1
on 11/19/11 7:46 am - NJ
Betsy,

I am considering HCG via Omni......I posted a question last week to you, on another older post.  Can you still take your daily vitamin regime while doing HCG?

Stacey

Betsy C.
on 11/19/11 7:42 pm - Efland, NC
Stacey,
I am glad you are considering hcg drops from Omni. During my first round I continued to take my normal vitamins, which had consisted of One A Day Womens multivitamins, Vit. D, calcium and weekly B12. During my subsequent rounds, I switched out my multivitamin for Omni's liquid vitamin, but have continued all my other vites. As a post-op, we must do that for life. That being said, you must be sure that your vitamins do not contain any sugars or starches (fillers, etc.), which could cause a slow down.

Let me know if you have any other questions. You can also email me at [email protected].

Betsy

Lap RNY 5/7/03

Taminator
on 7/31/11 10:42 pm - MS
Hey Betsy,

Got a couple of quick questions while I wait for answers from my HCG producer to respond.

I have now lost 11 lbs in less than a week (yay!!!!) but the past two days I haven't lost a pound.

In the last two days I've made some changes and I'd appreciate your insight as to if they could be the problem (not that theres really a problem I mean 11 lbs that quick is amazing so I expect my body to try to stop it and two days is minute, just thinking aloud). I have to do everything I can to avoid breads, they're a huge trigger for me. But I was feeling so sluggi****ook the book's suggestion and added melba toast to each meal. In addition I wasn't sleeping and even though it says not to take medications, I had to take benedryl to rest. Could the addition of bread which may make me feel physically better but may be a trigger to stop losing weight be the cause of my "stall" or possibly the benedryl, a combination of both?
Most Active
Recent Topics