My Labs (x-post)

Dot T.
on 8/16/11 1:50 pm - Bartlesville, OK
I finally got my lab results today.  The doctor hasn't "read" them, but they gave me a copy of them.  To my surprise, I'm within normal range on most everything except vitamin D (big surprise, NOT!) which was a 21.

I don't know what RDW-CV and RDW-SD are, but they are both high... 

My B12 is high (1142) and they want me to cut back on my B12, but I don't know if I will or not.  It doesn't become toxic in high doses and I would rather stay in that range than bottom out!

Pyridoxine (B6) is also high... 

PTH Intact Irma was high (parathyroid analyzer) but that has to do with malabsorption, I'm sure.

Overall, I'm satisfied and will be working on getting my Vit D up!
Oopsthenewthinnerm
eisshowing

on 8/18/11 3:39 pm
 RDW-CV and RDW-SD have to do with your hemogloblin levels and and the sizing of your red blood cells. Your doctor can explain it better to you. It may have something to do with you high levels of B12 and B6 because in general low levels indicate anemia. Was your iron/ folate levels checked as well? All are related. I suspect that is why you doctor wants you to cut back on you B12,  No matter if you are feeling fine. High levels of one thing in the body can put the body systems out of balance and cause a shortage of something else. I don't think you will have anything to worry about bottoming out on B12. I personal don't get much of any type of animal protein in my diet and my levels were fine.  Take care. 

vitalady
on 8/22/11 1:07 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
High PTH is bad. When you get your D up toward 91, the PTH will go down accordingly, tho it might be another 90 days to show up on labs.

Did you get the D3-50? Even tho you PM'd me, I didn't actually look at the order.

I'm not worried about B12 over 1000. That's good. B6 being high might create a small issue, so just don't take B complex but once/twice week.

The RDW's? Just a hair over the top?

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Dot T.
on 8/22/11 6:14 pm - Bartlesville, OK
yeah, I got the D3 50 capsules.  I started taking them the day I received them in the mail (thanks for fast shipping too!!) along with my first daily calcium dose (UpCal-D).

I'm sorry but I didn't see this response before re-posting for lab results help on the RNY board.  This is why I should stick to one board and not x-post...

I put more detail about my labs in the post I made on the RNY board just a few minutes ago.  Thanks a lot for your help!

Yeah, I would say RDW's are just a bit high.  One of them is 15.3 and the high range of normal is 14.9.  The other RDW is 50.3 and the high range on that one is 49.6.

PTH is 118 and the range for that one is 10-65, so it is quite high.

Thanks again!
vitalady
on 8/23/11 3:09 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
I see a lot of hair-high RDW and it doesn't seem to mean much, being an arbitrary line.

The PTH tends to follow D like a caboose. Next labs may show D well into the comfort zone with the PTH just starting to slide. But then the next (assuming 90 days between) would likely show the neighborhood where D will live at that dose and the PTH may have come way down some more and be all shiny-pretty.

I can't really put it in more scientific terms. But the PTH mfg higher levels to rush to the aid of the primary mission (keep the heart beating) are more likely to keep on dishing out emergency doses for awhile after the crisis seems to be averted. Once it seems safe enough, they return to doing their job at normal speed, not hyper speed.

It's a balancing act.

I've been balancing mine for 10 yrs and I still tweak it every 6 months, but at this point, it's a matter of moving it from good to really good and back and forth.

I am oh so sorry that I have not been able to respond to more ppl who've sent me labs. For a week, I couldn't get an online connection and I have to face the facts that a page of labs is way too tiny in my blackberry to read.

As my friend says, aging aint for sissies!

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Dot T.
on 8/24/11 11:13 am - Bartlesville, OK
Do you think one of the D-50 that I bought from you is enough daily, or should I take one twice a day with two of my calcium doses?

I have my  lab results because the dietician gave them to me, but I haven't seen the doc yet for the "official" word on what he wants me to to as far as tweaking my vitamins.  I don't see him for another 3 weeks and I want to get a head start on making changes now.

Thanks again so much for your help.

Dot
vitalady
on 8/24/11 12:45 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
refresh me on your D 25 level?

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

Most Active
Recent Topics