Today I am very grumpy pants...!

Jody H.
on 8/24/11 4:48 am - Des Moines, IA
 I'm just going to vent a little - and then I will be done ... I promise!   

I saw my PCP in June for annual physical - and requested the bloodwork be done at that time.   (Yes she was 2.5 hours late for the appointment, in a hurry and then the computer crashed just as she had most everything entered into the new EHR,  and the tech guy came in to help while I sat in my gown). 

The follow up call said everything is good, but after requesting the records I see the bloodwork shows ferritin is at 6.   (She didn't do a full iron panel, and my Hgb always runs around 11.6 or so.)  

So I see that symptoms of this can be fatigue, weakness, dizzyness, headaches, heavy menstrual flows, etc.     (I kind of wrote most of that off as my new normal for a peri-menapausal women living a moderately stressful life). 

Today I had my 3 year follow up with my bariatric surgeon.  (He was 45 minutes late and in a hurry)    I brought my lab results from June (I can hardly wait until everyone shares electronic health records).        I got a lecture on my weight gain (deserved), and a follow up with the dietician.    I brought up the ferritin score, and the symptoms, and he suggested I work with my PCP.      He set a goal for weight loss for me and told me to come back in 6 months.        I followed up with questions on how to handle low energy situations without caffiene (abstaining as per their recommendation) ... because that is one of the times when my resistance to carbs/snacks just evaporates.    His response was that my diet needed to have some carbs in it, and to meet with dietician.  

So - here's my deal that's making me just frustrated --- and therefore grumpy pants.     I KNOW I am still making poor food choices.   I know what is a bad choice, and when I focus I can observe what's behind the lack of resolve to do the right thing.    

I want help for what's happening underneath the craving. 
1)    Anxiety / stress -   The psychologist said I have good coping mechanisms,  I've implemented her additional strategies - and I've worked with the psychiatrist to up my anti-depressent. 
2)    Compulsive behavior (such as going to the grocery store and buying food to hoard)... apparently not abnormal - medication, awareness and avoiding the grocery store helps.  
3)    I just plain want to taste the food...   yeah - that one is going away as the things I used to like don't really appeal so much - so being aware that it's not as good as it sounds lessens that desire. 
4)    My body is craving food for energy...      I wish he would have done a follow up test today, or suggested a specific increase in iron supplements,  or at least taken a little time to think through if there is an underlying physical problem that is creating additional challenges for me.  

I like both of my doctors a lot.   I will give them grace because they are under the pressure to perform for a transitioning health care industry.     I will meet with the dietician because I do want to be compliant and it just might be that a fresh review will help.  

But somedays .... I don't really think my health care professionals are paying attention, and if they are I would appreciate it if they would recognize that I am paying them to educate me, not dismiss me. 

Okay .    I'm done venting.    I think.  

Jody  

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/24/11 6:06 am
Jody, iron so low - ferritin - that is no good.
You need to ask someone to send you to hematologist and maybe consider iron infusions.
My ferritin dropped to just below 10 and they stayed around that number for over a year with supplementation. My PCP told me to take more iron.. right... and my surgeon sent me to hematologist who agreed with me that I do not absorb iron - so there is no point taking it by mouth and suffer (cramps, constipation, bloating, + $$money $$ in the toilet - literally.)
I got iron infusions and I hope that worked for me.  I do feel more energized, and with that - I can do more things.
How was your B12? when mine goes below 700- I feel tired really tired.  and I can;'t keep it up with pills, I do get injections. Weekly. I do them myself.  When my PCP heard that - he did not think i needed - but after looking at my blood work - my b12 was just 800 a week after 1000 mcg injection.  He agreed that I may be one of those people who may need it more often. 

and so on... but - IMO + you need to stop excusing the docs and demand some attention.  With no energy - your would be tired and you would crave carbs. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Jody H.
on 8/31/11 12:15 pm - Des Moines, IA
Thank you!     I appreciate that someone "gets" it.       My surgeon seemed more excited about the potential need for gall bladder surgery than my issues with energy. 

I had an ultrasound on Monday - and the tech showed me the gall stones ...but I haven't heard back yet from the surgeon on his read of the ultrasound.     

I've got all of my labs for the last three years in a spreadsheet -  and I'm just going to have to start being more assertive.     Depending on what action happens with the gall stones,   I  plan to request a full iron panel in another month and then talk with the PCP about it.    My B12 was 699 a year ago, and 1350 in June.      My potassium tends to sit a little low too - but it's in the normal range right now. 

I really do try to be a compliant patient and follow the instructions and advice of my health care providers.    I just wish they were a little better informed - especially the weight loss center.  

I own the fact that I sub-consciously and consciously turn to available carbs when I am fatigued and need to keep going with my day.    However,  I have readily admitted I need alternatives that work in this situation - and part of that solution really should to be solving the underlying problem of the fatigue.   

Thanks again. 
Most Active
Recent Topics