How do you know when you are 'done?'

erica_starks
on 9/12/11 12:55 pm
A little background....I have always been significantly overweight. Hefting 208 pounds at 5'3" at 12 years old...significantly overweight. At my heighest recorded weight pre-op, I was 317 (but know I weighed more and just avoided the scale) and about 5'7". I am just over 13 months post op and have amazingly lost 110 pounds. The first 80 pounds came off in about 6 months and since then everything has been going very slowly. 2 months of summer, I was exercising about 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours per day, food intake was decent (not perfect). I am not seeing the scale move. I did go down about 1/2 a size and my clothes fit better.

I went to a 1 year post-op group and the nutricianist there gave me an answer that I may be 'done' with the losing phase. I'm wondering what the experience has been for those who have lived it. I'm still about 50 pounds more than the 'chart's goal weight' and I think I would like to fit into a size 14. But how many adult women who have given birth to 3 kids can say I weigh what I did when I was 12 and 4 inches shorter?

Guess I'm looking for a reality check or a kick in the pants.
Kim S.
on 9/12/11 11:37 pm - Helena, AL
All I can tell you is that my surgeon told me my body would stop when it was done.  And it did.  I am 10 lbs over the "normal" on the BMI chart, but I also have a lot of muscles as I work out a lot.

I am 46 years old and comfortably wear size 6 or 8 pants and 10 dresses (I have a big rib cage!).  I will never lose the last 10 lbs and that is okay.  I hit this weight at 13 months after surgery.

If you are moving your body and eating well, you may be done.  If you are over eating and sedentary, you may be able to lose more by making changes.

If you are happy where you are, and can easily maintain it, that really is the definition of success.

Kim

LisaCultJam
on 9/15/11 3:00 am
Great post. 

I've got about 55 lbs to ultimate goal.  If I get to a size I'm happy with before that I'll be content.  I'm not there yet so I'm still pressing.  It's going very slow. 

I'm right there with you because I too went down about a 1/2 size without much weight loss.  I wear a size 16 or 14w suit & XL blouse.  I'm 5'4".

I don't want to believe it can't be done especially since where I am is already impossible.  I'm enjoying life but still trying to figure the weight/size/ happiness balance thing out.

Thanks for sharing.
        2011 goal                                  It works if you work it!  

heatherdw
on 9/18/11 2:40 am
If you want to keep losing to get to a more 'normal' weight then I would keep working at it.  You just have to decide what YOUR normal is and not the one the dang chart in the doc's office is pointing out.  You decide where you are happy and then let your NUT know what your goals are.  They work for you anyway
Heather, SAHM to 2 (ages 3 and 7), Student

Most Active
Recent Topics