Any dealing with MAJOR hypoglycemia?

Cynthia Snyder
on 10/14/11 4:25 am - Butler, IN
I was wondering if there is a group or forum dealing with hypoglycemia since, according to my WLS surgeon, it affects a lot of WLS patients. I feel like I have been thrown a wrench! The entire way I have trained myself to eat and loose 300 pounds is now washed down the drain! I am being told I have to change everything. I never ate snacks and only ate three times a day and that at exact times. I shut off the eating valve and only turned it on when it was time that I had to eat! NOT ANYMORE! They want me to graze!!!  The battle is in my head and this is really messing me up! Now food is needing to be on my mind all the time. My blood sugar is dangerously low...in the 30's at times and a lot of times I don't know it until it's too late. Here it was below 40 at the doctor when they took it and I didn't even know it...I guess I am so used to it. Does anyone have a PLAN that they are using to defeat this....live with it. My doctors have not given me a "diet". They have said just to eat through out the day to keep my blood sugar up. THEY are more concerned with my blood sugar than me gaining weight....well they haven't weighed 465 pounds!!! Thanks for letting me share! God bless!
Not the Same Dawn
on 10/14/11 5:28 am - BEE EFF EEE, CA
I do have a problem with reactive hypoglycemia. Nothing major because I eat every couple of hours and always pair what I eat (fruits, veggies and such..) with protein. Whole grain carbs, vegetative carbs..and protein.

You can see what I eat and when I eat it on the accountability posts for ideas. I split my lunches in half generally and eat two half lunches..I occasionally split up my dinner and eat it half and half as well..
Yes, RNY worked for me but it also requires a lot of work from me!

Before Surgery: 214
Highest Weight: 240
Now: 125.6
Goal: 130
txhotmomma
on 10/15/11 10:38 pm
I also had the problem for awhile.  First, don't be eating sweets, because it will cause your sugar to spike and then you will crash hard and that is when you will have your eppisode.  Watch your carb intake as well, once it becomes sugar in your body you will have the same problem.  Keep on high protien as this will balance out your system.  And yes, you should be eating protien about every 2-3 hours.  I can tell a difference if I eat ANYTHING sweet.  Also, I was 125-130 and I had to increase my weight by 5-10 lbs to help keep my body more stable.  Since I started doing this I rarely have any eppisodes and I have leveled off.  But like I said, any time I eat what I am not supposed to, it strikes!

Rachel (txhotmomma)        
H.A.L.A B.
on 10/17/11 4:36 am
I have dealt with that since I was 1 years form surgery.
I discovered foods that would trigger that.  I also discovered that fat and proteins were my friends , while carbs, even complex would eventually caused my BS to drop. I have see a lot of 30's.. before I realized that carbs were not my friends.
Some people can eat complex carbs - I - not so much.
Also - eating every 2-3 hrs is a must. It is a pain but I need to do what I need to do.

Anything may trigger my RH - fruits (some, not all), grains (almost always - almost any), and even some carby veggies.  Milk - there is so much sugar in milk that I had to give it up.  It is just not worth it.

BTW: when I get bad RH - it may take me 3-4 days before my body gets settled... and I can be less strict with what I eat and when.   During those days - I do need to eat every 2 hrs, the food has to be fat + proteins + small carbs....

Good luck finding what works and what does not work for you.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Cynthia Snyder
on 10/17/11 10:33 am - Butler, IN
Thank you for your insight. Have nyou gained weight from having to eat totally different than instructed after WLS? With it affecting you since 1 yr out, you didn't even have much of a chance to get grounded with eating only every 4-5 hrs x 3  a day, etc, like after surgery? This is just VERY frustrating to me! I tried to read your profile but it said it was private. Thank you so much! Cindy
H.A.L.A B.
on 10/18/11 12:52 am
I lost all my weight ... and got too thin (IMO)... and I had a hard time stop losing... (complications RNY) so when i regained some weight... it was OK... but then I gained some more... and that is not OK.  Most my regain was due to drinking alcohol. I started drinking alcohol to stop losing weight and be able to gain some... boy... that really worked.
I gained 20 -30 lbs. Now I am 20 lbs over my lowest.. At my age, 50, and with a very large frame and lots of muscles... my body fat % dropped to 16-17 % or below. That was too low, on top of that low sodium intake, low carb diet, made me slightly dehydrated , with a low BP... My 143 lbs put Me in size 4... that was way too small for my frame. I gained 20 lbs... and now I am size 8-10.  Size I wanted to be in a first place.  I do try to get down to 155 (153-158) ... but that may take a while.    If ever.  My GB comae out, so I do not  digest and absorb a lot of fat.  Maybe now I do, but a year after the RNY - I was still malabsorbing fat. 

Fat is what makes my body "happy". and lots if proteins. Carbs, even complex carbs - are iffy... no oatmeal, pasta, bread, cookies, etc... even a bite of that food puts me in a cycle... my BS may not drop too much, but the hunger sets in, if I eat that I want more and more and more...so the best way fro me is to avoid that.  As much as I can.   
If you want to "friend" me - you will be able to read my blog...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

DAISY100
on 11/4/15 8:44 am

Ask your pharmacist or doctor if you can take glucose tablets. They are over the counter and come in orange and raspberry flavors.

Hope you are doing well now!

Most Active
Recent Topics