Questions for Graduates...

michele035
on 10/18/11 2:58 am - PA
Hi everyone,
I have been off and on OH website since I had my surgery in April 2010.  I really utilized the board before and directly after my surgery.  Now I find myself 18 months out and trying to figure some things out.  I have been at my current weight of 158 since pretty much 13 months out.  Since then I am pretty much maintaining my weight...I will go up or down a few lbs every now and then, but by and large and staying within a 5-6 lbs area.  I am happy with where I am (OK next step is getting rid of some of this skin!!).  I exercise 4-5 times a week and seem to have fallen into a decent eating pattern.  I do not eat sugar or pasta or rice at all, I have completely eliminated them from my diet.  I rarely eat bread, but on occasion will have some carbs in my diet (i.e. pretzels/crackers). 
My question is this, at what point have you found that your body "figures" out your surgery?  I guess I am at that point where I am trying to figure out if I have reached that happy point where I am eating the right amt of calories that I am burning to stay at the same weight.  I tracked my calories for a while but now have gotten away from it but still staying again within the same 5-6 pound area.  I don't want to lose anymore, but want to get an idea when my body has found its setpoint so to speak. 
Do you know when that happens?  Not sure if I am making sense.  I don't see my surgeon for anouther few weeks, but wanted to ask the "experts" for sure!

thanks!
Michele
coral03
on 10/19/11 5:20 am
Hi Michele

I'm at  18 months.  I think my body is settling in for the long haul.  I no longer record everything,  I try to make better choices,  I try and exercise.  If the # on the scale creeps up, then I know to reduce my calories and exercise more.  I have thought about seeing a nut.  to verify that I am on the right track.   Maybe that is something we all should do at this stage in the game.
Congrats on your good work!
MyLady Heidi
on 10/20/11 6:41 am
For me it was easy for the first 4 years, I never strayed from goal at all, then bam the 4 year mark came and I could and did gain some weight.  It sucked, I now have to work at it every day to maintain, basically my body is normally absorbing calories and I can't eat many things without gain.
dinaraley
on 10/24/11 12:11 am - Fort Worth, TX
I was just posting about this. I am 10 years out and my weight dropped down from 248 to 136 lbs in the first year , then stayed steady for about a year. Then I went to 145 give or take 4 lbs coming and going, stayed there for about 7 years. Then in a very short time I regained almost 60 lbs stayed there for almost 2 years. Now I am losing weight again and back down around 170 lbs and still dropping weight. I did drink a lot during those 7 years and my weight just stayed the same. Then about a year before I got sober I regained 60 lbs and plateaued for 2 years. Just waiting to see what happens next.
Jenni_9yrspostop
on 10/26/11 7:49 am
My surgeon and a bunch of plastic surgeons in my area swear it's at about the 2 yr mark. That's why the ps doctors won't do any reconstruction on a wls patient until after the 24 month mark. Our skin takes a full year or two to shrink back once we meet goal, so it's not at the same time. If you're at 18 months out and doing well, you probably won't change much by the 2 yr mark. If you're happy where you are eat what you're eating and keep the exercise where you are now. I did find a lot changed about 2 yrs out. Ability to eat anything, getting away with less water or no exercise. Not so true after the second year. good luck to you - it sounds like you've found that
spot that we all strive for post op - where we want to be weight wise and able to eat to keep it that way.
Jen 10 yrs post op RNY
Most Active
Recent Topics