Difference in Medication/Alcohol Effects post WLS

li3Ruch
on 4/16/12 9:24 pm
Something I notice which seems to have accelerated since my weight loss surgery is how quickly my body absorbs medicines. I'm a horrible insomniac, and have tried various options for sleep. Pills that are supposed to take 45 minutes to affect a person hit me like a brick in about 15 minutes.

Alcohol affects me much different - and  I know that its normal for that but I want to know how others experience it. If I have one drink, even Nyquil which has alcohol in it, I can feel a buzz off of it almost immediately. If I have a glass of wine, say, then I will get a really good buzz very quickly. However, I will then feel that buzz wear off really quickly too (even though I know my BAC is continuing to rise). Take a second drink - same effect.

How does everyone else feel the effects of these types of substances? Is this unique to me?

Beth   
                         ~ 245/160/135 (HW/CW/DW) ~ 

(Highest Weight, Current Weight, Dream Weight)  

I am a healthy BMI now and so I am happy.  I haven't decided yet where my comfort point is for maintaining.  I'm trying to lose more, but I may find out that causes me to have more restrictive daily diet and excercise habits than what I am comfortable with long-term.  It's all about choices!!!

jlmartin
on 4/17/12 12:48 am - Random Lake, WI
There was a study out of England about alcohol in gastric bypass patients.  They basically measured BAC and drank like every 5 or 10 minutes.  I forget the link but the key facts were as follows:

1)  Initial BAC reading in gastic bypass patients who drank was nearly the same as a person *****ceived the same amount intravenously.

2)  Gastric bypass patients reached maximum BAC before a "normal person" who drank the same amount.

3)  Gastric bypass patients reached a higher level of BAC overall compared to the normal person because the normal person had started to metabolize and reduce their BAC while the drink was leaving from the stomach.  Gastic bypass patients do not have this "slow release"

4)  The Gastic bypass patient needed slightly longer to get back to zero BAC than the normal person, mainly because their BAC reached a higher level over all.

Key take away:  you can be a cheap date.

nascar24n48
on 5/27/12 12:08 pm
I am also an insomniac.  I take generic Ambien.  Tried the regular and the extended release. Regular non coated tablet and I am out in 15 minutes but it only works for about 4 hours.  I tried the extended release which has a coating and you would think it wouldnt dissolbe quickly and would be less effective. I actually like the extended release better. Takes a bit longer to fall asleep but it keeps me asleep longer.  Ambien has a wierd side effect for me. It makes me want to eat like crazy right after I take it so I make myself get right into bed so I wont stand at the pantry door!

I rarely drink. Three times a year (at the NASCAR races) is probably it as it gives me terrible intestinal cramps. Cramps so bad I ask myself was it actually worth it.    Buzz is instant then is gone in about 30 minutes off of one wine cooler.  I also have to "time it" so that I am near the restroom because that type of explosion is not good when you are dry camping with limited water and TP!

I have a friend who is 5 years out. She has "built up a tolerance" and drinks high volume every weekend with no intestinal problems. The empty calories is probably why she is back up 75 pounds and cant seem to figure out why.

Suffering from a cough and head cold now. Got some of the "diabetic" cold meds as the regular stuff give me a buzz and gives me gas.  Most meds effect me instantly.

Preop 242  Height 5'4"  Current: 145 Want to get back to 135. ZERO Complications! ZERO Vomiting  (Chew, chew, chew)! ZERO Regrets!

Most Active
Recent Topics