repost: Oh my aching __________

kilmarlic
on 1/8/13 12:41 am - powells point, NC

Thought I'd repost this here as well as on the Arthritis forum..could use a  few suggestions.

Pick a body part and it probably aches on me at some point during the week.

It all started with my tailbone at about a year out from surgery. But everyone assured me that it was very common with weightloss and my body would basically realign itself to accomodate the lack of padding. Let's just say that never happened. After countless $$ spent in co-pays at the chiropractor's office, the family practice doc, the surgeon, the orthopedist and even the pain management clinic....I gave up and decided to live with it. There is a cushion in every chair I sit in. I have a tote bag that I've outfitted to conceal my "little old lady pillow" that I take with me to church, the drs office and out to eat.  I even sold the sofa and bought a softer one.  

Morning stiffness is a given. If I sit for more than 15 minutes I walk like a 900 year old woman. Sleeping is even painful with arms, legs, lower back and shoulders giving me a fit. It's a top of the line mattress that I used to find extremely comfortable and I've added a great topper to it that my dear boyfriend thinks makes it like sleeping in heaven.

With the exception of having taken a fall last year my knees had never bothered me....UNTIL...a few days before Christmas when I woke up with what felt like a twisted left knee. the sucker is killing me. It almost feels like the muscles in the back side are no longer long enough for my leg.  

I've got an appointment scheduled for later this afternoon. Unfortunately (or maybe not) I'll be seeing a new doctor as mine has retired. So I have a list of questions & concerns along with a timeline to help show everything in a nutshell. Is there anything yall can think of that I should include to ask or mention?  I'm not trying to micro-manage or second guess my new doc...I'm just trying to make the most effective use of my appointment time.

- Iris

Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Highest      Surgery    Lowest      Current                                                                 

314.5          294          208        258.4

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/8/13 4:45 am, edited 1/8/13 4:48 am

Sorry babe. The back of the leg muscle - feels shorter  that's how my sciatica feels like.

With muscles and bone pains - I hope you have detailed blood work including Vit and minerals - calcium, PTH, mag, Vit D, B12, copper, boron, Vit K and so on. All of them are essential for bone health. Add adequate protein levels and sodium - for muscle spasms.

If I forget - or don't get enough sodium in my daily diet - I may end up with severe muscle cramps (my back and left leg) that is very difficult to deal with and seams to take forever to go away. (dealing with that now)

Additionally - the good oils - The good cholesterol - HDL - fish oil and and  same like that are essential fro proper joins "lubrication". If you don't get enough healthy fats - then chances are the joins will suffer.   This are some practical issue. A bone scan to see if you have any bone loses. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

kilmarlic
on 1/8/13 5:03 am - powells point, NC

Thanks for the response - I am super-diligent on my blood work and daily vitamins and supplements (multi, D3, b-12, fish oil). I'm curious to see if the Doc suggests a bone scan.

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/8/13 6:40 am

Just because your taking them - it doe snot mean you get enough. I started checking my own blood work results after I felt horrible yet the docs keep telling me that my blood work is good... well... it was not good enough for me.  Some of the numbers were just barely normal, some were missing - not tested.  i.e my B12 was low even though I was taking up to 5000 mcg per day.  Now I give myself weekly B12 injections. That keeps my B12 1000-1200 level.  I also found out that my B6 level were way too high - and too much B6 may cause similar nerve issue as too low B12...

My D3 was barely normal. And let's not even mention iron.  When my ferritin drops below 25-30 - I turn into this pathetic cry babe, tired, with RLS symptoms....  I get so tired, with muscle twitching, etc.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

oceanwoodsangel
on 1/8/13 8:37 am

i agree that you need to get a copy of your blood work and ask for a very detailed one, including a bone scan. check the results yourself.  Is the pain on both sides of the  body equally or is it just all over?  could it be a lupus type thing?  be diligent.  Don't give up  blessings.

kilmarlic
on 1/8/13 9:58 pm - powells point, NC

Thanks for the responses. I met the new doc last night and was semi-impressed. He wants labs drawn instead of going on the results of the last ones. He's setting me up with a nutritionist and then we'll re-evaluate. I'm happy with this approach rather than the "here's a script for pain meds...it'll go away." that some docs take.

I'll keep yall posted.

Most Active
Recent Topics