low hemoglobin and iron

Corgi Mom !.
on 10/25/13 9:03 am - sunny, FL
I am 8 yrs out and preparing for an IV iron infusion due to extremely low hemoglobin and iron ..I am beyond my goal at 5'7" and 120 lbs..just wondering what to expect from the procedure and side effects after the infusion. ? Thanksnfor your help
Corgi Mom
RNY
3/16/05
287/129  bmi 20.2 height  5'7"
Loss is good Maintanance is GREAT
Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly
H.A.L.A B.
on 10/28/13 8:40 pm
Most people have no side effects. Some masy get allergic reaction depends what iron is used. But that is monitored during the infusions.

Most people get energy within one to a few weeks after.
I had some digestion issue - since some irton that is no it asbrsorb gets dumped into the digestive track. But it was very mild, and I had to make sure I followed easy to digest diet for a few days.
Remember that iron binds with proteins so hopefully your blood protein levels are good- and in any case you may loads on some more protein before and after.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Signer_
on 10/29/13 5:17 am

Mine is also low, what kind of iron are you taking?

Signer_
on 10/30/13 10:45 pm

May I ask, what is your hemoglobin reading? Mine is also low after 5 years of GPS, but I was taking the wrong kind of iron, have since changed and I am hoping that my next text will be higher.

MaurieG
on 11/20/13 5:48 am - Chula Vista, CA

I get regular iron infusions, I have not had any issues with it.  Mine are done right in the doctor's office.  You just go in, they give you an IV of iron, takes about 30 minutes and you're done.  The first two I got a horrible headache afterwards, but since then, no problem. 

262     139      /       145       /      130
Start  Current  Doc's Goal   My Goal

Most Active
Recent Topics