Never thought I'd say this, but having trouble eating real food again!

Lanibug
on 12/18/13 8:42 am

Hi Everybody,

I had a vertical sleeve surgery about two weeks ago.  I have been on the full/clear liquid diet and very much looking forward to the green light to eat real food...until now.

Since I was a little kid, I despised vomiting and would go through all hoops to try to avoid it.   To this day, I get a bit "panicky" if I feel nausea.  I also suffer from an occasional panic attack (in general) which causes nausea.

I have been given the green light to eat "mushed up protein" and taught how to eat slowly and chew my food "to mush" before letting it go down.   My first three attempts have been so hard.

First of all, I have a hard time figuring out if a piece of food is "stuck" (which means stop eating, walk around) or if I just feel flem in my throat.  I also cannot tell if I am having stomach nausea from being "full" (though there is almost now way I can be full from the teeny tiny amounts I ate-probably a quarter's size worth in total) or from the food not agreeing with me or....if the nausea is a symptom of panic from doing something I am a bit nervous to do (eat with my new stomach).

By the time the above symptoms occur, I am fully nervous/nauseas and cannot even look at the food.

Up until now, I have tolerated things like pudding, jello, calcium chews, vitamins, etc just fine....

Any advice?  Please tell me I will be able to eat again! 

-Ilana

PetHairMagnet
on 12/18/13 5:37 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

I had RNY and so I don't know if my experience would be of value to you-but have you thought about posting this on the VSG board for feedback?

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Lanibug
on 12/19/13 5:08 am

Ah, good point.  I'm new to this site and didn't realize there's a different one.   Will do. 

Most Active
Recent Topics