Is Progress Still Possible?

MrsJuly
on 6/24/15 12:07 pm

I am 11 years RNY post-op. I went from 354 to 215 in 2.5 years then slowly gained to 301 over the next 8 years. I attempted to have a revision a few years ago, but insurance denied me because I had been "successful." In December of last year, a new surgeon was able to determine that my weight gain was at least partly to a stoma that was 5 times the normal size. I had a self-pay revision (Apollo Overstitch) in January and am now at 264. A very slow loss and a mental struggle, especially considering my sister just had the sleeve and is already under 200 while I never made it there. My husband just had the sleeve today, so with him finally on the same page, I think this will be much easier.

BUT...it is realistic to think I could actually get to my personal goal of 175 (with all that extra skin, 175 would be acceptable to me). If, once you've had surgery and missed that golden window of opportunity, is your body resistant to weight loss? If I do all things right, will I lose just as any other "dieter?" Does anyone have experience for getting back on track with their tool after such a long hiatus?

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/24/15 6:12 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Well I'm only a little more than a year out but I do think progress is possible. Try posting in the rny & revision forums, you might get some more feedback.

If everything checks out ok by your dr, I'd say go back to the basics. You've lost the weight b4, so I'm sure that you can do it again. I would incorporate some kind of therapy or go to a support group to tackle the issues behind your eating. It's very easy to forget about the mental process while concentrating on the physical one.

From what I heard, people who've had revision surgery tends to lose more slowly than those who've only had the 1 surgery. So losing slow is normal, you'll just have to stay more on top of your eating.

I wish you all the best, I'm sure you can get it off again, especially with hubby there to cheer you on.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

lynnc99
on 6/25/15 11:11 am

I'm more a "regular" RNY veteran, 6 years out. And I've had to deal with regain. My philosophy is this: We have a powerful tool, and yours has just been sharpened! Your loss may be slower - I don't think anything compares to that initial honeymoon post RNY. But loss is loss - and if you're heading the right direction, that's what matters. 

Follow your guidelines to a T. At some point, yes, we all become "just like another dieter." We will always have to watch, to be aware, whatever type of surgery we had. We are, after all, experts at eating around all the rules. And we know here that we are vulnerable to regain and those old habits creeping back in. 

Remember that comparison is the thief of joy. Your sister's journey is her own, and yours is different. It's not a race. I don't know what is realistic for you but every single day that you do what you need to do to take care of YOU - whatever the number on the scale says - is a day of victory. 

Keep in touch with us here! Best wishes to you!

avivaps
on 6/25/15 2:36 pm
RNY on 02/28/12

I'm only 3 years out so take whatever I say with a grain of salt.  I think (for me) the biggest factor is in my head.  I started addressing my food issues pre-op and have been struggling with them to this day.  I lost all my excess weight then gradually started gaining again.  I realize that no matter what tool I have, I HAVE to work on the wiring in my brain or I will find myself back at square one.  I finally feel I am making progress in that department and the extra weight is slowly coming off.   I don't know about how quickly things will come off but they will if you follow the rules.  However, following the rules means buy-in from your emotional/brain part as well in the long run.  So, I believe loss is absolutely possible in your situation.  The key (IMHO) to long-term success will be how well you address the issues that got you to your heaviest weight in the first place.

WRT your sister, sibling issues can be a big part of things too :) however, I think with hard work (both physically and mentally) you have every possibility of getting there.  Your journey (especially the second time round) may be slower, but LONG TERM success is the ultimate goal so keep your eye on the prize.

Good luck,

Andrea.

RNY February 2012

starting BMI 40

bartonsm
on 6/27/15 12:31 am, edited 6/27/15 12:38 am - OH

I had RNY in 2002.  Started at 340, and got down to 203 for about a day, then stabilized at around 208 for a while.  A few years later, I got up to 240 an stayed there for a LONG time.  The past 3 years have been very stressful, and I totally went back to my old habits:  drinking with meals, eating tons of carbs and little protein, and eating all day.  Last August I had gotten up to 282 and couldn't live like that any more, so I contacted a surgeon I had heard good things about and asked him to take me on and he agreed.  The first thing he did was check out my insides, because I could SWEAR my stoma got much bigger (foot long sub is possible for me too!) and he said my pouch is very small still, and said that studies have shown that the size of the stoma is irrelevant if patients eat the right food and follow the rules.  I still think my stoma has stretched an do believe it makes a difference in my struggling with success.  I am envious of you for being able to have the apollo technique!  Anyway, I started following the rules to a T and went down to 220 in 5 months starting on about 1500, and later 1200/day.  I am currently at 229 trying to get back on track as the past 5 months I got my head messed up again.  My goal is also to be below 200, preferably eventually 175 but will see how I feel below 200 first!  The biggest challenge even when following the rules is my own head.  I HAVE to plan my days ahead of time, follow the rules,  and even then I have troubles every day with what my head is telling me.  I believe that is my main obstacle and will probably always affect me, although I hope someday I can get into a healthier mindset and quiet it down more.  As far as being another dieter, I think my surgery definitely has given me the advantage of not being as hungry on little food.  I also have different rules from a regular dieter in that yes, I have to watch calories but I have to eat much more protein and can't get away with simple carbs nearly as much.  I remember cutting way down on food with my normal stomach and it was awful!  At least now I have satiety for a few hours after a smallish meal as long as i follow the rules, especially if I load up on water starting an hour or so after I eat. After my surgery I was on a cloud because I had no interest in food at all.  I believe those days are permanently gone, but I still have the tool left to work with if I work it.

Maybe someday I can also have the Apollo.  When did you have it and how has it been for you?  Hope this helps.  I feel for you! 

Tri_harder
on 6/27/15 11:02 am

What was the cost of the overstitch procedure? I am self pay as well.  I am debating if I want to put more time and money into losing weight.  I have a wide open stoma.  thanks, Tri

JA
on 6/29/15 3:39 am - East Haven, CT

Hi, 

First of all congrats for not giving up!  You can do this.  Remember, most of our eating is in OUR HEADS.  I started to gain a few years ago and go so scared.  I had originally lost 100 lbs and had gained back a little more than 20 lbs.  One day I woke up and said no more!  I went very strick on three meals a day, all protein, veggies, and fruit. NO CARBS (bread, etc, crackers), and I eneded up losing the 20 plus a few more pounds.  You can do this.  Don't give up.  We've been given a great tool, it doesn't fail us if we use it correctly.

Good luck.

JA

White Dove
on 6/29/15 4:49 am - Warren, OH

You need about 2600 calories a day to maintain your 264 pounds.  If you cut calories to 1500 a day, you will start losing two pounds a week.  In a year that would be 104 pounds and you will weigh 160.  The secret is to forget about big losses and concentrate on the daily calorie count.  The most important thing that I do is weigh myself daily.

It can be upsetting if the scale goes up a pound or two but it is much more devastating if I do not weigh for while and the scale goes up twenty pounds. 

Give yourself the necessary time and stay out of denial.  Once you get into the routine you will find that it is not that hard at all.  Very important to avoid white carbs and to concentrate on dense protein.  Track every bite you put into your mouth.  Plan your meals in advance.  This is not easy but once you get the hang of it, it is not that hard.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics