5 yrs out

wanttobthin
on 12/5/15 5:23 pm

HI I am 5 yrs out since surgery.  I had my surgery  Aug. 2000.  I have gain 40 lbs back but kept off 100lbs in the last 5 yrs.  I have been off track and just need some encouragment to get back on track.  I did join a gym just need to get my eating back in check.  Seems like I am hungry every 2hrs.  I was wondering if I need a revision or what??

wanttobthin
on 12/5/15 5:27 pm

sorry my surgery was Aug 2010

wanttobthin
on 12/5/15 5:28 pm

sorry my surgery was Aug 2010

S. abrams
on 12/23/15 5:53 pm, edited 12/23/15 9:59 am

Hi, 

This is so weird. I had my RNY surgery 2 months before you in June 2010. I'm sorry to hear that you are having a hard time with the weight maintenance.

I know if there is one thing I followed even now since my surgery is to NEVER eat and drink at the same time. My surgeon after the surgery in 2010 told me to wait 30 to 60 minutes if I needed to have a drink. Same thing goes the other way. If I want to eat something I make sure I have not had anything to drink for at least 30 minutes before I do. Hope this helps. 

Ladytazz
on 12/6/15 9:35 pm

I can't answer your question about whether or not you need a revision.  You need to see a WLS surgeon and have your current configuration examined to see if it is still intact.

If it is then you still have your tool.  No matter which surgery you have there are some basic things you will always need to do if you want to lose weight and keep it off.  Number one is to get rid of the refined carbs, junk food.  No matter what surgery you have refined carbs, or simple carbs, are absorbed 100%, so even if you get a very malabsorptive procedure you will have to watch the carbs.

If that is your problem then that is the place to start.  Clean out your house of all junk.  You know what it is.  If you have a family then they will need to support you.  If they can't live without those things then ask that they not bring them around you so you won't be tempted.

Once you cut out the refined carbs and go through the detox period you will find it much easier to eat right and you most likely won't be hungry every 2 hours.  Refined carbs do nothing for you nutritionally so it isn't surprising that you body wants to have nourishment so soon after eating.

The basic rules are protein first, dense protein like meat will fill you up better and keep you satisfied longer.  Once you get in your protein you can have things like fruits, vegetables and other things in smaller amounts since you won't be as hungry.

Don't drink with meals or 30 minutes afterwards.

Aim for enough protein and fluids.  My goal is 100 grams of protein and 100 oz of fluids a day.

Make the best of your tool and you will find yourself back where you want to be.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

wanttobthin01
on 12/7/15 2:18 am

Thank you for your reply.  Yes, I do have a problem with refined carbs.  I think maybe the 5 day pouch test would help me to get back on rack with my eating.  Also, I do think I need to go for a scope to see what is going on.

Ladytazz
on 12/7/15 3:10 pm

I know a lot of people are against the 5 day pouch test as a fad but I think it holds value if you use it to detox off the carbs.  For me it was when I had my revision and in the hospital.  Between the pain pills and horrible hospital food I was able to detox off the carbs and follow the program food plan I was given.

Because I had been so horribly undisciplined as far as eating goes I resolved to follow the post op plan to the letter, which I did until I got close to my goal weight, at which time I allowed myself some different things as I learned about maintenance.  But by then I had lost my desire for the garbage I had been eating and was able to start to learn how to eat in a healthy way.  I am still learning.

It has been over 5 years since I have eaten that way.  It is easy now since it is my new normal and those things don't call to me anymore.  But I am also aware because of my past history that it wouldn't take much to get back to the way I had been eating.  For me there is no "just a taste of" things like cake and candy and other junk I used to eat constantly.

Fortunately I have a lot of choices and I feel completely satisfied with what I do eat and don't feel deprived at all.  I think I would feel more deprived if I were to try to limit the amount of junk I ate because I know I would always want more.  A little bit would never do it for me as far as those things go.

Like the old saying, one bite is too much and a thousand bites is not enough.

Hedy W.
on 12/23/15 9:46 am - Weston, fl

I am 12 year out from Roux en Y.  I have gained 40 back, kept off 100.  Hate the weight gain.  I don't feel full until its way too late.  When you say detox off of carbs... do you mean bread rice pasta or do you mean fruit and vegetables as well.?

Ladytazz
on 12/23/15 2:45 pm

Basically the refined carbs like bread, pasta, crackers, candy, you get the picture.  Pretty much anything you have ever binged on, lol.  Just the junk to be clear.

If it comes in it's natural package, like fruits and vegetables, I don't worry about it.  But if it's been altered it's probably not a good idea.

I remember being told a long time ago that when they refine things like wheat our body miss the stuff that was removed and needed for us to process the food, thus creating cravings for the stuff that was taken out.  This may not be an exact explanation but it makes sense to me.

When I was losing weight I played it pretty strict and didn't experiment with things.  I just stuck the the plan I was given.  I needed to learn self discipline, which I had none of.  After I got close to my goal weight I allowed myself to try different things as long as it was sugar and gluten free.  But the time to experiment is after you are where you want to be, if you want to get to goal.

MsMaki
on 12/7/15 9:17 am - Chino, CA

Thank you LadyTazz,

I just recently sent out a similar post of regain. It helps to be reminded!

Most Active
Recent Topics