15 years out...40 lbs up. Help

Hedy W.
on 1/3/16 7:42 am - Weston, fl

What works best at this point?  

TeashaLorna
on 1/3/16 8:15 am - Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada

Back to basics I guess.  I am struggling right now and have put my self back onto the basic program. Under 30 grms carbs over 90 grms protein under 1000 calories and over 10 cups of water a day.

Good Luck!

Dr Ponce de Leon Mexico     VSG 4 Jun 12. I lost 57 lbs on my own before having a VSG. This is by far the best thing I have ever done for myself.

CathyWray
on 1/15/16 10:50 am - Madison, TN

You are doing all the right things.  Crackers,bread,sugar all have to go.  If I slip, I exercise it off.  And, the darn slips just slide on down and I never get full. I only get full from the dense foods.  You will do it. Try any support groups either F2F or online. Keep posting.

Ladytazz
on 1/3/16 5:39 pm

I'm not sure of your initial weight but if you are only up 40lbs after 15 years that's a success in my book.  All of my life I continued to gain.  I had my first WLS in 2002 at 240 lbs and my revision at 220 lbs in 2010.

Although that was a regain of 100 lbs in 8 years I was 20 lbs less then I started.  Had I not had WLS I would have easily been at least 260 but more likely close to 300 lbs.  So even though my first surgery was a failure by all accounts it at least helped slow down the progression of my weight gain.

So you have been a success and are now like most people who want to lose a few pounds.  I know that 40 lbs doesn't seem like a few to you but it's a hell of a lot better than 100 or more.

So what to do?  I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you have probably gone back to eating things with refined carbs like bread, pasta and crackers.  And maybe sugar if you are able to tolerate it.  I know that is where my 100 lb regain came from.

So the thing to do is to get rid of those things.  Clean your cupboards, fridge and freezer of all the junk.  Donate to a food bank or needy family.  When my daughter moved out I donated all the food she left behind that I didn't eat to a local family.

If you have family that still eats that stuff you will have to enlist their help.  Depending on their ages you can ask them to eat it outside the house.  If we are talking small kids and you control what they eat they can only benefit by cutting back on those things.

You don't have to go out and stock up on things, you probably have what you need at home.  Stick to your food plan, whichever one works for you, whether it's your surgeon's plan or weigh****chers or whatever sounds good.  Don't experiment until you reach goal.  You are going to have to relearn how to eat right and how to have discipline in your eating again.

I know that when I had my revision I decided to follow the food plan my surgeon offered to the letter.  I was able to detox off the carbs while in the hospital so that made it doable, if not easier.

I stuck with that plan until I reached goal.  I also paid out of pocket to see a nutritionist that worked with WLS patients since my insurance didn't pay for one.  I just had no clue and it really helped.

Now I am 5 years out and I'm still learning how to eat to stay a normal size.  It does not come natural to me, that is why I don't eat impulsively.  I try to plan out my meals and not wing it.  Maybe someday I will be able to do that but now I still need some structure with my eating.

Get support whether in person or online.  Support helps keep you accountable.  I don't know for sure with you but for me I totally cut myself off from other WLS patients and that made it easier for me to lose control of my eating and weight.

Just take it daily, plan out your meals one day at a time and you will do fine.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Suzanne B.
on 1/6/16 12:16 pm - Baltimore, MD

I'm in a similar situation and wondering if a revision is right for me.  I had RNY in 2003 and went from 300 lbs to 160 over about 18 months, settling around 175ish for the majority of the next 10 years.  After being hit by a car while biking about 2 years ago, my activity level is no longer what it used to be, so I've tried restricting my diet accordingly; however, the pounds have crept back on over these last two years, and now I'm at 218.  

Baby, that was yesterday...

AnniesSS
on 1/27/16 5:44 am
RNY on 09/11/12

Like someone else stated - back to the basics!  6 high protein meals a day, lots of water, no bread, pasta, sweets. 

I put myself on a "diet" in January because over the past couple of years, I put on 12lbs that I wanted to get rid of.  The first week was tough, but it got easier the following week.  I lost 4lbs then easily. 

You can do this!  You've done it before - at this point, it's mind over matter. :)

Annie  HW 289   SW 257   GW 150

kitty764
on 2/22/16 2:28 am

My thing is portion control, I stay away from the white carbs, but I don't deprive of anything else (within reason)

Most Active
Recent Topics