what do you think?

alishak
on 1/3/16 7:52 pm

Hello. I have been reading all the forum posts from people with basically every surgery. I have in mind to do the ds. Aside from that. Most. Of the posts scare me into not wanting to do surgery at all. I feel like most of what i see is either people just post op who are getting to know their bodies again. Or people gaining weight back. Food intolerances. And gas. Diarrhea. Pain. And my biggest fear of all is the percentages and risk of having a bowel obstruction 5-15 years out from surgery.  Im terrified that my quality of life. Although bad now. Would be even worse afterwords.  Should i not even read these forums?  Im thinking maybe the majority of people go about their life when things are good and maybe post stuff when they have issues or concerns. And then i read those things, and it turns me completely off. But its something i feel i need to do to get healthy. I know im being probably way to paranoid. But its a big thing to do to your body. So for all of you who are wls grads,  what is your quality of life day to day?  I cant go based on one persons experience but my stepmom actually had ds 17 years ago. Had a bowel obstruction this past year that almost killed her. And literally every time i see her which is about every 2-3 weeks. Shes sick all the time. Some of it is definitely her fault she will eat things she knows dont agree with her. I get that. I know wls isnt the easy way and u still have to work hard But. Do you find that your diet is much more a challenge, do u feel completely limited even when it could be something healthy? Like i actually read a whole few pages where people went down an entire list of things they cant eat. Ie. Brocili. Beans. Spinach stuff like that. And im thinking whaattt?? This is multiple people too. I know that being obese causes problems too. But i guess im just terrified to go through with wls and struggle with being so gassy all the time i wont want to be around people. And definitely the bowel thing. I have major depression and anxiety which doesnt help with my weight. So im concerned mentally afterwords that ill be so much more depressed with those issues. Thanks in advance for advice. 

cappy11448
on 1/4/16 5:55 am

Hi,

I had a VSG about 2.5 years ago, and have been active in the VSG forum for years.  This is my first time checking out this forum, and I don't know about the other forums -- other than the recipe forum which I also use. 

But I want to say that I've had a very positive experience with weight loss surgery.  It isn't easy, and it takes commitment and discipline, but it makes the weight loss possible.  I started at 385 pounds with a BMI of 60.  I lost 225 pounds in 18 months, and I have been maintaining at 160 pounds - and a BMI of 24.  I've been maintaining for about 1.5 years.

I don't want to make it sound easy.  Its an effort and getting used to my new tummy was not fun.  But the results are so worth it.  I have had no complications, and came thru the surgery with minimal pain.  No diarrhea, little nausea, no dumping.  I can eat anything, but I avoid carbs because they cause food cravings for me.  But I am happy and my eating is quite normal - small portions, but few restrictions.

Check out the VSG forum.  I think most people there are quite happy with their results.

Best of luck. 

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Ladytazz
on 1/6/16 9:06 pm

The problem with WLS is there is no free lunch so to speak.  No matter what you choose there is a price to pay.  Not for everyone but most people with WLS experience changes in their lifestyle or health.

I had my first WLS in 2002.  By 2010 I had regained most of the weight I lost and had terrible side effects and no quality of life.  If you had asked me than I would have told you to run, that having WLS was the worse mistake of my life.

I had a revision in 2010.  In fact I had gone to my surgeon begging to be reversed only to be told that I couldn't be reversed but I could be revised to minimize many of the issues I had.  I also had my than sleeve revised to a RNY pouch to give me restriction, something I lacked the first time out.

I decided that if I had to have a revision I was going to make the best of it and follow the rules I was given, which I never did the first time out.  Surprise, I found that when I did what I was supposed to things worked out a whole lot better.

Which isn't to say I don't have issues.  I am one who is prone to bowel obstructions and have been hospitalized a few times.  I also had 2 hernia repairs.

My eating is very different, partially by choice and partially because I have no choice.  I can only eat so much so overeating is very painful and I dump if I eat sugar, so in a sense I have aversion therapy that works as far as those things go.  After a while you get used to it and it becomes your new normal.  Once in a while I feel frustrated or disappointed that I can't eat a lot but most of the time I just accept that when I go out to eat I will most likely be taking most of it home for another meal or two.

Back when I had my first WLS they weren't doing the sleeve as a stand alone surgery but if I were looking into WLS today I would definitely be looking at that.  It is the closest to set it and forget it there is, but it also involves work.  You still need to make good choices.  No WLS will do that for you but as far as deficiencies go and food intolerance's it would seem to be the least invasive.  

In spite of what some may tell you, and I know I was told before my first WLS, having WLS does not eliminate the need to watch what you eat, it just helps you do that.  Since a lot of morbidly obese people have an issue with refined carbs, sugar and bread type things, the bad news is that no WLS helps with that.  Even with the DS you will still absorb simple carbs 100%.  And unfortunately most of those things are easy to eat so you can get in a lot of calories even when you are restricted in the amount you can eat.  I know I can eat a whole lot more crackers than I can chicken.  I am just not filled up by crackers. 

If you don't feel ready to make changes in what or how you eat than you made need counseling to get you ready for the changes that you will have to make in order to get the most out of WLS.  Many people will tell you the reason they didn't have the success they hoped for is because they didn't address the underlying food issues that went along with their obesity.

My advice would be if you aren't sure than don't do it until you are confident you have the tools you'll need to live life after WLS.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

coreysmom
on 1/7/16 4:31 am - Indianapolis, IN

I have had hernias...ill just say this ppl tend to post "bad" or "negative" comments. If you keep that in mind there are thousands of successful stories not posted. My advise DO YOUR RESEARCH. good luck.

CathyWray
on 1/15/16 10:42 am - Madison, TN

I am eleven months out and 13 pounds from my doctors goal.  I am ecstatic. There is no limit to the happiness I feel.  I see myself in a reflection and can't believe its me.  I filled out a doctors form and didn't have one disease. I am 66 and had the surgery at 65. I am also a realist.  I didn't have a lobotomy.  The perfect WLS would be a combination of a lobotomy so the desire for food would go, a shot to the sinuses so we couldn't smell and lastly the RNY.  Then life would be truly easy.  I knew complications were a given at my old weight, with my old problems.  I am not one of the lucky ones. I can eat anything.  Maybe in the early days just after surgery there were issues.  I was hoping that I would pay for the slips with carbs or sugar, but alas that is not me.  So, today I eat meat and veggies with little fat and few carbs. I am learning that the fatty and carb laden foods or slick slimy foods just do not make me feel full. I do overeaters anonymous online for the mental and emotional support and also this website. But happy, oh yes, I am happy. 

alishak
on 1/15/16 11:17 am

Thanks for all your replys. I think my main concern long term is my depression. But i kind of vowed to myself that im going to go to therapy and really focus on being a better me. And that includes doing what i know is right for me. And that is to have the surgery. I am scared and that wont go away until after i have it i suppose. I have my consultation next week. I dont have a problem changing the way i eat. In fact "most" of the time im eating a pretty healthy diet. Which could always be improved of course. Its more the amount i eat. My inactivity .and when i get really depressed i just binge. And binge on bad things. So thats a reason to go to therapy and along with the surgery get the help i need to correct this behavior. And i think the thing to think about as some of you have mentioned is that even if there were some undesired side effects or initial complications that came from the surgery. It is worth it when u dont have all the problems u had before surgery. And i have stopped reading the boards lol. That is helping me. Thanks for your advice!

Laura in Texas
on 1/16/16 4:55 am

The mental part is the hardest so it is wonderful to hear you are going to go to therapy. Sadly too many people think losing weight will solve all their problems. It doesn't, but it does make it easier to deal with things when your weight is not getting in the way.

I firmly believe if we truly learn to love ourselves, it makes long-term success easier. We treat ourselves better and make better choices for our health. And when we slip, we get right back on track instead of wallowing in pity. That is what makes this whole process successful.

I had RNY 7 years ago. I have lost and kept off 200 pounds. My quality of life is so much better now. I eat like a normal average sized person (healthy choices and average portion sizes). I have no food intolerances or problems with gas or diarrhea. Life is good.

I will assume you have done your research and chosen a great surgeon. A great surgeon will know how to deal with complications if they do arise. 

Best wishes!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
Recent Topics