Hiatel hernia anyone?

coreysmom
on 1/7/16 4:26 am - Indianapolis, IN

Hello all! 

I am almost 7yrs post op Rny. Have maintained  my weight loss and have always exercised. I had one prior diagnosis of an internal hernia that corrected itself. I am having severe upper abdomen swelling. This led me to my GP doc who immediately wanted to do lap surgery...she didn't feel the need to do scans or anything she felt this would be the best way to find out was going. Well since I didn't want yet another surgery I decided to seek out a gastro doc. After getting an endoscopy with the gastro doc I was told I had a 3cm Hiatel hernia and "a touch" of gastritis. Gastro doc didn't think the hernia warranted removal. Fast forward 30 days..nausea, pain, constant belching and my stomach so loud sounds like a train, sent me hurrying to the Center for Bariatric Excellance ER. After getting a CT scan (my primary fear was a blockage) the doctor said there was no blockage or anything else of note, so he sent me home with RXs for Sucralfate, gaviscon and Prilosec. So my question is 2 fold...has anyone diagnosed with a Hiatel hernia had surgery to fix and if not are you on any type of regimen for comfort? And 2, has anyone taken any of the above medications? Don't know rather to push for surgery or not. Thanks!

TanyaRN
on 1/9/16 10:23 am - Palm Bay, FL

I am 12 years out and have been having similar issues....intermittent upper abd swelling, bloating, very loud gurgling and frequent burping. I had an EGD last week which also showed mild gastritis and small hiatal hernia. Another thing he noted was very long redundant roux limb which is allowing food to sit and stagnate rather than follow normal path. This is probably also causing bad intestinal bacteria over growth.

coreysmom
on 1/9/16 10:31 am - Indianapolis, IN

Ok thanks Tanya. I have an appt Monday with my BP dr.

do you have a care plan in place to take care of this?

TanyaRN
on 1/9/16 11:06 am - Palm Bay, FL

I only spoke briefly with the doc in recovery room but have follow up on 19th. He took biopsies as well. From everything I read, it needs to be resected. I also need treatment of bacterial overgrowth. Currently on protonix

coreysmom
on 1/30/16 8:10 pm - Indianapolis, IN

Hi Tanya. Is bacterial overgrowth the same as H Pylori? Thanks

nascar24n48
on 1/30/16 6:48 pm

Curious for an update.

Preop 242  Height 5'4"  Current: 145 Want to get back to 135. ZERO Complications! ZERO Vomiting  (Chew, chew, chew)! ZERO Regrets!

ncmdgirl
on 2/24/16 9:28 am

I have had 3 and they all required immediate surgical intervention. My intestines would snake through the hernia creating a blockage.

Just a few more steps to wonderland......and believe me I am taking baby steps (ugh).

Most Active
Recent Topics