Hiatal Hernia post-vsg

Esquared
on 1/19/16 5:14 pm, edited 1/19/16 5:25 pm - CA
VSG on 06/06/13

hey hey! It's been forever since I've posted, but I am going to get in touch with my doctor to ask a few questions. I am almost three years post-op VSG and 3 months post-partum! I hit goal, got married, got pregnant - now I am working on getting back to goal, etc. ANYWAY, I had to go to the ER this morning with gastric pain issues; I know I have IBS, but they didn't find anything except a small Hiatal Hernia "with the fundus of stoma*****luding the surgical suture material" which the docs surmised was not actually causing pain. Recently, though, my chest has felt a bit tight and I have had more acid issues - both during my third trimester and after my pregnancy.

IN SHORT, I am wondering if anyone here has had a Hiatal Hernia post-vsg and if so, when did you get it repaired? Does anyone currently have one and not plan on fixing? I ask because I feel like I control the acid issues with diet and PPI's (and TUMS!), but I am concerned about long term issues. Again, getting in touch to ask my doc these questions, but would like to hear stories as well. I do know of one person who had two repairs and have read her posts. 

"I am what I am not yet." - Maxine Greene

coreysmom
on 1/22/16 1:27 pm - Indianapolis, IN

I'm post Rny. 

I had the exact same symptoms, went to Bariatic center of Excellance ER and told I have 3 cm Hiatel hernia, gastritis and an ulcer. Also subscribed Prilosec and PPI and also wondering how long I'm to keep with this regimen.

please let me know what Drs say....

ncmdgirl
on 2/24/16 9:24 am

I am post RNY as well and I have had 3 hiatal hernias since having wls.  All 3 had to be surgically repaired with the last one ending up being an open procedure.  Once they rearrange your guts it is truly difficult for them to see your intestines so my hernias were always "hidden" but had serious symptoms each time.  All of mine were repaired as soon as they were found because with each one I had difficulty breathing, violent vomiting after swallowing my own saliva and could not eat.  

After each surgery I was put on Protonix to manage. It has been almost 1 year since the last episode and sometimes I feel like I can't eat and I have terrible bloating and nausea - all of which were symptoms I experienced prior to all of my surgeries. Nervous...yes, used to it now...yes.

Keep an eye on it because it can get worse pretty quickly. 

There are tons of details I can share, but that is the quick and dirty.

But guess what, after 3 surgeries to untangle my guts, I would have WLS all over again.

Just a few more steps to wonderland......and believe me I am taking baby steps (ugh).

(deactivated member)
on 4/29/16 2:36 am
Revision on 04/28/16

Fix it.

My long term from an undiagnosed: Started as sick belly, pain, acid constantly, vomit everything, vomit acid, acid holes in stomach, acid thru staple line, strangulation and blockage, malnutrition, neuropathy in legs until couldn't walk, in hands and couldn't hold a spoon, teeth broke from months of vomiting acid, weighing 114 pounds at 5'9".

So many complications!

I am waiting to go to the Hospital, right now for #3. Was told in October I needed it, but it popped back in. It's been 3 bad weeks, but didn't want to miss my sons Prom.

Esquared
on 8/20/18 10:46 pm - CA
VSG on 06/06/13

Hey All - It's been a road!

In short: Pregnant again in 2017, delivered about 8 months ago. 2 babies, 2 years, 5 years post-vsg. Large Hiatal Hernia - lots of weight gain.

On protonix for 1.5 years - just STOPPED working at all. No more management with diet and meds.

Now on Dexilant 60mg. Still painful, still nasty burps, still pain.

Doctor says my fix will be an RNY. Anyone done this?!! What's it like?

Can you still get hernias?? How?? I am freaked out about this...

"I am what I am not yet." - Maxine Greene

Most Active
Recent Topics