Please help!

internetnut
on 2/22/16 6:03 pm - elmira, NY

Help! I pray to god someone else has experienced this and as you read on you'll understand why! To start I had RNY in 2008. In November 2013 I became super stressed. After becoming stressed I developed no appetite for breakfast and nausea. This continued into 2014. March 25th I was in a car accident. April 18th I was pulled out of work. May 9th I ended in the Hospital until the 12th with a diagnoses of food poisoning. May 26th I was back at the Hospital finally diagnosed with Diverticulitis. June 25th I had cervical surgery and by July 14th I lost my job. The lack of appetite for breakfast and nausea continued. September - October my hubby and I kept swapping colds. Mine just never really seemed to clear up and I developed this severe case of mucus. In December I finally seen my Doctor who medicated me on a month's worth of antibiotics. This cleared the mucus up considerably. Shortly after this I was diagnosed with LPR. I was told the acid in my stomach was most likely causing the mucus in my nose from the LPR. I purchased a adjustable bed and within a couple of months the mucus thinned even more. As for my appetite and nausea it has remained the same. Fast forward to the Summer 2015 the lack of appetite not only was affecting breakfast but now lunch. Fast forward to Fall-Winter 2015 the acid in my stomach is worse. I'm on Protonix 40mg 2x's a day. They've tried Carafate still no improvement. Since the Diverticulitis I've had issues with constipation and/or loose bowel movements. I'm experiencing taste and smell issues occasionally. Food and drinks smell and taste moldy (even fresh food and drinks). I've had all kinds of tests and scans my Gastroenterologist (which I was referred to by my Bariatric Doctor) could think of which all had reported normal. My Bariatric Doctor (which now the Gastroenterologist has now referred me back to would like to repeat the Upper GI Endoscopy since recently I've developed pain in my stomach, food feeling like it's getting stuck and piling in my pouch and 2 hours after I eat when I drink anything I'm getting extremely nauseated all of which is occasionally. I said no at first to the Upper GI Endoscopy since I just had it done a year ago with no results. But 2 weeks my 13yr old nephew and I stopped by McDonald's (growing boy was hungry right after School). Since I knew dinner wouldn't be long I just grabbed a Apple Pie and Sweet Tea (my 2 weaknesses) neither have ever bothered my stomach but this time the Apple Pie created mega acid reflux. I opted not to drink my sweet tea and took it home. 2 hours after dinner I drank my sweet tea and I ended up with mega acid once again. After this I called the Bariatric Doctor's the next day to schedule the Upper GI Endoscopy. So this leaves me questioning has anyone ever experienced this or anything similar? Thanks so much christine

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/23/16 7:16 pm

Some of that... 

Google SIBO... Plus Candida. Those 2 can cause leaky gut. Food allergies.  Major food allegies. 

I have that.  I develop allergies to dairy, soy. I have intolerance to gluten and grains. I also tested positive for allergies to banana, pineapple, vanilla, etc etc.. 

SIBO and Candida cause IBS.  In my case it is IBS-C. Eating so e foods, even a little bit , cause a lot of pain and cramps. Foods from FODMAP list -  I.e onion, garlic, cabbage, mushrooms, most fruits..etc etc can really hurt me. 

I take 3 allergy pills a day.  Plus antacid.  Just recently - my guts got severely irritated and I got horrible acid reflux. My doc put me on antibiotics and Rx for diflucan (anticandida) and Rx antacid (Very expensive) "Dexilant".  

Plus I put myself on a very restrictive diet

cooked chicken with cooked vegetables like carrots, celery. Then I added Fat - coconut, cooked eggs, avocado. One food every 3 days..

I ate that for 2 week. Then added a few more foods. I.e NSA organic PB, almonds, macadamia nuts. 

My body hates breakfast. My gut does not move food very fast - so I have to be very careful what I eat and how much.  I try to not too much fiber. Fiber for me = pain pain and constipation. 

My gut is so sensitive - that we think some fillers in medication I take daily can cause a lot of acid. 

We can exchange PM if you need more detailed info... 

It took me a while to find a great docs who know recent studies re sibo6 a d its side effects. 

It has been 3 years Since I actively started searching for answers.. 

I found a few...

e

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/23/16 7:40 pm

BTW- I personally think that my food allergies, severe RH, IBS -C, Food intolerances , even rosacea, muscle pains... Ext etc. Are caused by SIBO and Candida... And once these 2 are treated and my gut is healing - I may be able to reverse some of the side effects, and reintroduce some foods back in my diet. 

Currently my diet is mostly meats, fish and eggs+ some veggies. Limited fruits like berries, nuts (almonds, brazil, pecans, macadamia and peanuts) coconut. 

I don't eat Food or drink anythin with calories until lunch or 1 or 2 Pm. I try to have at least 12,typical 14 or 16 hours ,that I only drink non caloric drinks. A lot of them.  I Dr I k coffe , green tea and ... Diluted diet tonic. 

I make my own SF jello... 

Dairy can cause a severe mucus, thick that it feels like I am suffucating.  If I do eat food that had dairy..(i e. butter) I know within 30 min - My voice gets very labored- until I can barely talk... 

Soy - like from soy sauce ... I start itching..  Like crazy... First my hands..then head..then all over... 

Things with gluten - I.e commercial meatballs - I eat that, then withing 30-40 min my gut looks like I swallowed a beach ball.. 

But cramps - I take subligual pills that really help with that. I NEVER leave house without them. I never know what can be in foods. 

If I eat foods that I am not suppose to - my symptoms may last 2-3 or even 4 days... Even if I follow very good diet after ... At least now I know why I am suffering... I call it " I pissed my gut off..and until the intestine inflamation goes down - I would be paying for it... " 

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

internetnut
on 2/25/16 3:22 am - elmira, NY

Thank you for responding! Sorry about the delay. I will keep these in mind and mention them at my next Doctor's appointment.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/25/16 6:43 am

Research the info yourself. Find latest medical studies. There are some in the latest 5 years or  Some (most. -IMO) docs don't know anything about SIBO or how to treat it. Prepare yourself for that. 

internetnut
on 2/25/16 12:36 pm - elmira, NY

I will do that! I have a Endoscopy on Monday waiting to see what that reveals. If nothing I'll mention everything I find to my family doctor. She is really good and orders any tests I request. Thank you again!

internetnut
on 3/1/16 1:57 pm - elmira, NY

H.a.l.a. B. Just a update I had hoped I'd have more information to share but my Doctor left before I woke after my Endoscopy yesterday. The Nurse did say he finally seen heartburn so that's a step in the right direction for me for once. I questioned him about the SIBO, Candia and Leaky Gut. After researching them I think they could be my issues. He said I have to wait to talk to my Baratric Doctor since he just preforms the Endoscopy's. He did say something about my Medicines could be causing my something with my esophagus and food not to move fast but it's not Gastroparesis cause I no longer have that. Now here's a kicker. My mom went to see our GI Doctor the other day and they suggested a test to her and told her why she should have it done. Anyway she says I think this is what you have. I asked her if she knew what it was called and she had not. So I got looking back at the SIBO and sure enough our GI Doctor had suggested she get the SIBO Breath Test. So anyway I see my Baratric Doctor the 8th and I'll question her if she knows about SIBO, Candia and Leaky Gut if not I'll keep my 15th appointment with the GI Doctor. I would have just PM'd you but I figure if our grief can help someone else by all means I hope it does.  

Mrs.Complications
on 7/14/16 12:45 am

Christine,

Seems funny to me why your Gastro Dr. wouldn't give you the results of a test THEY performed. It doesn't matter *****ferred you to them. I can relate to your acid. I am currently taking Prevacid, Protonix, Prilosec and Carafate, all prescribed by my Doctor. Oh, let's not forget the Rolaids I carry everywhere! 

I know the answer to my acid. By the time I was 6 months out in 2000, acid ate thru my staple line. I  had bleeding ulcers, where I was first DX. as anorexic, because I couldn't eat or my stomach hurt. They thought I was just refusing... I showed them, literally! I woke up sitting on the toilet, with my head in the sink, (that's how moms are), and filled both with blood. That'll teach 'em to say I was a liar! (Next time I would do it at the hospital, and not at home first.) So now I have 5 holes too.

The feeling of fullness and your bathroom habits.... are you on any medications? Meds like pain killers, especially opiates, muscle relaxers or anxiety meds can/will slow down your digestive system. They can slow it down to where you are bloated, nauseated, stomach..side..back pain, gas, ACID.

Sometimes having the same Primary Care isn't the best thing, or going to the same Hospital. It's amazing when you hear a whole different group of Doctors point of views. Sometimes it can literally save your life. It saved mine 3 times.

Best wishes to you!

Kelly

Most Active
Recent Topics