Off the wagon

Lopesmom
on 3/1/16 8:51 am - Sewickley, PA

I have not been on the site in several years, but got the news letter today and decided it is time to start over.  I lost a little over 100 pounds after my surgery in 2009.  After the 18 mth honeymoon, I started gaining weight again.  My eating habits started to slide and I basically quit doing anything I should be doing.  I developed problems with my knees which made exercise impossible.  I became extremely sedentary - the weight continued to come back on.  I am now up about 45 pounds and miserable.  Any ideas for getting me 'kick started' again would be appreciated. 

Ladytazz
on 3/1/16 10:46 pm

I think most of us know what we should be doing.  The problem is being motivated and wanting to do it.

The rules are the same.  Protein first, avoid refined carbs (sugar, bread, etc).  No drinking with meals or 30 minutes afterwards.  Lot's of fluids.  Plan your meals, avoid snacking.

Sounds simple and it really is.  The hard part is doing it.

Get some support, either at meetings (hospital support group, OA, counselor, online) and stay involved with the bariatric community.  That will help you stay focused and to help you deal with eating issues.

I have personally seen many people turn around a regain.  I won't say it's easier after WLS but you do have a tool that you didn't have before and you can use it any time you want.

The RNY forum has a thread for daily menus.  A lot of people go there for accountability and ideas on what to eat.

Good luck!  You can do it!

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

funkyphillygirl
on 3/8/16 8:06 am

I'd agree with the previous response and suggest one other.  Start tracking your food and activity either on paper or, even better, on an app like My Fitness Pal.  I think this helps to make you accountable for the choices you are making, and that is a huge start.  And it's just between you and you.  Part of where we get in trouble is NOT being accountable and just, as you stated, "basically quit doing anything I should be doing."  The more you HATE the idea of doing it, the more you NEED to be doing it.  I think we sometimes forget that we are actively making choices - just not good ones.  Just my two cents.

I am almost 5 years out from RNY and had some rebound weight gain about 3 years out.  It wasn't a lot, but I freaked out a bit.  At the time, I had experienced a huge increase in my stress levels and I knew that I was kicking out cortisol like crazy.  That, coupled with being a Type 1 diabetic meant that I was setting myself up for it all metabolically.  I talked with my endo, adjusted some meds, and started working as intentionally as I could on stress management.  So, I'm just throwing out there that not actively managing stress levels can also contribute to all of this.

Part of managing for me is feeling like I am in control (and not out of control).  Tracking my stuff helps me with that, even though I initially resist it.  In the long run, it is my friend and a tool - just like surgery....it doesn't do everything, but it can help.

iloveme1st
on 3/9/16 1:52 pm - Hesperia, CA

I am in the same place that you are in right now and I lost over 200lbs and was feeling great but then then things happen I got depressed and I have gained 100lbs and I am not feeling any where near happy about that I am not sure what is worse the depression that made me gain the weight or the depression that I feel with the weight that I have gained!!!! I just know that this is not what I want and I am not going to stay here I am going to lose this weight again I have already lost 5-6lbs in the past 3 days!!! You just have to start!!

Ken S.
on 3/10/16 5:12 am - Hanover, PA

You are going to have to make the tough choices!!  What is your motivation to lose weight?  Is it to just look good?  Is it for your health?  Is it to be able to enjoy your children, or grandchildren?  Whatever it is, you need to keep that in the forefront of your mind.  It seems that when our focus turns from outward to inward, and we focus just on ourselves, that these things happen.  While  you are the one losing the weight, it really is not all about you!  It is about your family, your job, your recreation, your grandchildren, or any number of things.  What I am trying to explain here is that, while we WANT to lose weight, if we do it just for us, we never will.  We need some external motivation.  If we stay focused on ourselves, it is too easy to go back to bad habits, since "Who is it really affecting?  Nobody!  Just me!"....and that is NOT a good attitude or approach.  It seems like that, in your mind, you figured that once you lost the weight, you could go back and eat whatever you wanted.  That is NOT what WLS is about and you have to understand that.  It is a life-changing, life-saving, decision.  While you may be able to go back and eat most of the foods you enjoyed before, you cannot and SHOULD not be eating a LOT of it!  Find something to occupy you...a hobby (not cooking!)....taking classes for something...volunteering somewhere....something that is OUTWARD, not INWARD. 

And just so you know, I had RNY 2/2004 and lost 285 lbs. in 14 months.  It has been just over 12  years and I am still at my goal weight and enjoying the life that I missed for so many years!

You can do it, because you did it before, so you know you have it in you.  You just have to determine which is more important....eating all the food you want, or having the life you want!  It really is that simple!

Best of luck! 

WalkinOnSunshineGirl

on 3/15/16 11:12 am

It IS tough.  I am a little over 2 years out with the Sleeve. Surgery was great...no complications....everything text book wonderful...then... Last May I had Rotator Cuff surgery and have only gotten full use of my arm this past January. Took months of work to get it back to full range of motion. I got really down...into a major funk.  So all my exercising and then my healthier eating habits just tanked.  So now am trying to lose the 35 pounds I gained  back in 2015. I KNOW what to do...know I can do this....but it sure does help having support.  I often feel like a failure now and I know that's not true.  I lost over 130 lbs....but regaining has been tough on my knees too...so now going back to the basics and doing my best one day at a time. You're certainly not alone in this Lopesmom....there are many WLS patients that gain a little or a lot or ever all of it back...it's great that you are working on it now and not 45 more pounds down the road.  WE did this before...WE can do it again!

I know for myself.....I am going back to the basics.  1-2 protein shakes a day....lots of cottage cheese....low-fat (usually string) cheese...greek yogurt...lots of tuna and salad...chicken....fish...and LOTS of water.  Get the sugar and salt out...that will help your knees greatly.  I don't know about you, but any time I eat salt or sugar...I feel it in my knees the next day.  Just take it day by day and know you are NOT alone!

southbay311
on 5/8/16 10:45 am - NV
RNY on 02/22/12

I can relate to all the posts on this thread.  I am a little over 4 years out and have been maintaining great.  I made a huge mistake and started smoking about 1.5 years ago after being smoke free for 10 years.  Well I decided time to stop AGAIN and its been 1 month tomorrow.  Problem being is my snacking has gotten horrible and have a 10 pound weight gain.  Addiction is horrible, now trying to reel it back in and hoping to get back on the healthy positive wagon.  I know what has to be done and I feel awful that I put myself in this situation.

Nance

H/W 326   S/W 287                                                                                     GW 145                                                      
southbay311
on 5/8/16 10:53 am - NV
RNY on 02/22/12

I can relate to all the posts on this thread.  I am a little over 4 years out and have been maintaining great.  I made a huge mistake and started smoking about 1.5 years ago after being smoke free for 10 years.  Well I decided time to stop AGAIN and its been 1 month tomorrow.  Problem being is my snacking has gotten horrible and have a 10 pound weight gain.  Addiction is horrible, now trying to reel it back in and hoping to get back on the healthy positive wagon.  I know what has to be done and I feel awful that I put myself in this situation.

Nance

H/W 326   S/W 287                                                                                     GW 145                                                      
princesspenny7
on 5/8/16 3:13 pm - Canada

I can SOOOO relate to you!!! The first five years after surgery was awesome.  Now Ive gained 60 pounds back & feel absolutely miserable.  I feel like my pouch is not working properly but I also have to be accountable for my terrible food choices.  Lets work together to get these extra pounds gained OFF AGAIN :) I believe in both of us!

PRINCESSPENNY            
soldindc
on 5/11/16 10:31 pm - Bowie, MD

You have my full support and prayers.  I'm working against a sluggish thyroid to lose 15.  We will do this!

Most Active
Recent Topics