Extended Release Hydrocodone

Reverend
on 3/18/16 6:32 am

Good morning all. I need some advice from the brain trust.

I had RNY in January of 2011.  Things are going well. I started at 350, got down to 230, and am currently at 250, where my body REALLY likes to stay. (Well, it would like to be bigger, but it certainly doesn't want to be any smaller.)

I've got a supra-scapular nerve impingement that is making my life hell. Right now, the only solution is opiates. My doc switches me from hydrocodone to oxycodone and back again in order to keep me from developing and maintaining an increasing tolerance to the medications, and while it has worked o****il recently, I'm starting to develop rebound headaches that are almost as debilitating as the shoulder pain. (This, they say, is a common side-effect of overuse of acetaminophen. Don't worry, though, I'm still way below levels that can damage my liver.)

Anyway, my pain management doc wants to put me on Hysingla. This is an extended release hydrocodone medication. He knows about my bypass, and assures me that this pill "dispenses" in part of the intestine that will be unaffected by my bypass.  I'm still dubious. If I try it, I'm stuck on it for a month. I'm afraid I'll take one, it will pass through too quickly, and I'll be in constant misery.

So, does anyone here have experience with Hysingla ER, or even Zohydro ER (another similar medication) or any other ER medications 5 years out from an RNY? Is it even worth trying, or should I refuse and just deal with my current level of pain or go up in dosage on my short acting opiates? (I mean, that's a decision my PM doc would make, not me, but that seems the only reasonable alternative, right now, to the ER medications.)

Hoping for some first hand knowledge, or even second hand knowledge. I know my WLS doc said "no extended release medications ever," but my PM doc says, "Yes I know you had RNY, but this will work fine."

Thanks,

Rev.

Laura in Texas
on 3/19/16 5:53 am

If you haven't already done so, you should post this on the RNY and the main boards.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Reverend
on 3/19/16 7:43 am

Thank you, I wasn't sure where it should go. I'm sure cross-posting is discouraged, but I'll go ahead and throw it up on one of those pages. Mods may feel free to close this thread or delete it or whatever.

Linda_S
on 4/27/16 1:04 pm - Eugene, OR

Are the drugs your only option?  I'm not being judgmental here -- honestly -- I had a three-level spinal fusion in November 2008 and still occasionally take oxycodone, but it's effective for me and I've never felt the need to take more and more and more.  Obviously, I can't take NSAIDs, like you.  What I do, when the pain gets out of control, is acupuncture.  I know a lot of people think needles are scary, and lots of folks think this can't possibly be an effective pain control method, but I swear by it.  If you've never tried it, I recommend you give it a shot.  I know I'm a lot happier when I'm not taking pain pills.  They are there when I need them, and for that I'm grateful. 

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

karin602
on 5/15/16 1:39 pm - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

Whenever I am prescribed a New med I call my surgeon's office and get the expert advice. Extended release meds can be tricky!

Karin

Mrs.Complications
on 7/14/16 12:10 am

DO NOT listen to your PM doctor!!! Call your WLS and have them contact your PM. You would be stuck with it for a month? Couldn't you bring them to your PM for disposal, and get a new Rx for what works for you?

Spinal surgery x7, opiate free after 10+ years

Most Active
Recent Topics