Problems with food years down the road.

jens516
on 5/29/16 10:29 am

I'm looking for btdt, or advice on a situation. In the past two-three weeks I cannot keep ANYTHING solid down. I kept trying, and no matter what it was, it immediately hurt and came back up, even just 4 or 5 bites of beef barley soup.

Last week, thoroughly fed up with spending half an hour every time I tried to eat in bathroom, I went on a few days of chicken broth, popsicles, and SF koolaid (can't drink water, never have been able to since the surgery). A few days ago I attempted adding in a single mashed potato with cheese - I was able to eat about 1/4 of it. I also tried "fluff stuff" (eggface's recipe) which is basically jello and greek yogurt beaten up until it's fluffy-ish. Again, I managed just a few bites before getting nauseous. I was able to keep both down though.

It took me 4 days to finish the jello stuff - which was 3.5 oz of yogurt, and 1 cup of dissolved jello. I was doing okay on the potato, I ate 1/4 the first night, about half of what was left yesterday, and then finished it tonight, but it came right back up.

I'm always either hungry or naseated. Has anyone had experience with this? Do I just need to go back to clear liquids for a month? Would that have serious impact on my health (other than extreme annoyance and boredom.) BTW, I'm almost 8.5 years out from my surgery.

I have a few other physical issues that aren't surgery related - I have disc degeneration in my back, they're talking about a fusion, and I've had a headache for a year (literally - not a headache one a day for a year, but a headache that never goes away for over a year) so I'm also on meds that are known to cause nausea. Not taking them is not an option - It would lead very quickly to very bad things. I don't currently have a WLS doctor - is this something I should be trying to find and get an appointment with?

Does anyone have any suggestions of other things I can eat?  Living on chicken bouillion and fluff is making me want to just stop eating all together.

I'm sick of this. I am sick of living in this disaster of a body. It just keeps getting more and more screwed up. I'm REALLY hoping someone has some easy advice, but who am I kidding? Nothing about my health is easy.

Laura in Texas
on 5/29/16 7:37 pm

Yes. I think you need to find a weight loss surgeon to see about this ASAP. If you cannot get an appointment soon, I would see your PCP or a gastroenterologist. I hope you find relief, soon.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

jens516
on 5/29/16 9:09 pm

Thank you for reading and for your advice

Murk
on 6/3/16 6:58 am
VSG on 07/11/16

Sounds similar to a stricture. 

My sister had an RNY and went thru something like what you are experiencing, years out.

Read up on strictures and see if you see similarities. Either way get to a bariatric doc soon.

akaChelle
on 6/6/16 12:18 pm

A Gastroenterologist will work if the DOC that did your surgery can't see you.  If you can keep any liquid down it needs to be protein to keep up your strength.  Get some protein powder and if you have to mix it with water it is better than bouillon.  i have scar tissue that has formed at the top of my pouch and it is restricting the opening (even more so after they fixed the bleeding ulcer) so if you can drink liquids they will push you to do so but if you can't keep anything down it is dangerous.

Mariachiflute
on 6/17/16 1:02 pm

I have had this same problem, and with a CT of the abdomen was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. further testing showed the position was between my heart and my aorta so i will have this problem until I am able to get a bariatric surgeon to fix it. This may not be your problem, but you should see a bariatric surgeon (rather than a gastroenterologist) to help diagnose this. Sometimes a caring PCP can help get things started. I had my surgery on 1/10/2001 so I can really relate to your problem. 

Most Active
Recent Topics