Bone issues/ pain worse at night raidates down legs.

markgum
on 7/5/16 6:55 pm - Littleton, CO

Surgery in 2003.  Can't believe I'm still under 200 lbs 13 years later. 

WHOO HOOO This really works if you do it right.

QUESTION;

About a year ago during a CT Scan for gallbladder (docs were surprised I still had mine so many years after WLS).  They saw lesions on my hip bones. 

After a year of searching and multiple tests including bone biopsy.. John Hopkins states, an Extremely low Osteoclastic Activity.  Mineralization lag time is 11 days (Normal 22 Days)  The Sodium Serum is 145; (normal 134 - 144) and C-Telopeptide is 1137 (normal for males is 115 - 748). PTH 67 (normal 15 - 65). 

A Recent CT Scan shows several lesions on both hips and pelvic bones. 

Has anyone had any such issue?  Digging and reading on the web I find that the absorption we lose by having WLS can cause bone issues.  My insurances states I am not approved for an infusion because only females are authorized.  

I'm also giving my old WLS Dr. Corrin a call tomorrow to see if he has any input.  But since I haven't seen him since about 2006; and I'm 3 states away he might not be able to provide any input but it's worth a try.

Thanks for reading and appreciate all comments.

mark

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/11/16 11:14 am

bones are very complex.. Beside calcium - we need magnesium, boron, strontium,etc., 

What most people don't know - is that we need lots of Vitamin K2 to form bones... 

unfortunately - there is no test to to show the body level of K2.

How is your D3 level ?  how is your calcium? how much D3 - calcium - magnesium are you taking daily? K2?  Also we need collagen - gelatin.  Most of us are told to max up on whey proteins since gelatin is useless.. but they don't realize that gelatin is critical to make skin, hair, bones...

goggle bone formation...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

markgum
on 7/11/16 5:40 pm - Littleton, CO

Thank you H.a.l.a. B.

My d3 and calcium are perfect said my doc. 

I will pick up some K2 on the way home from work tomorrow.  

unfortunately I was smooth sailing along and have not been on this site recently.  This has become a wake up to the fact that it is a tool and we need to supply the right stuff to make things work and to keep up on the latest developments with surgery even if it has been 13 years.

My Gastric Bypass doc sent me the lab form he uses and I sent it to my Primary Care and told them to make sure all of these test are included on the lab request.  Sometimes I feel I have to educate the doctors on the effects of Gastric Bypass and how absorption is really different for me than other people.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/12/16 4:10 am

What is perfect? What are the numbers?  I am asking because for 2 tpyears my docs were telling me "your numbers are good" while I felt like I was dying.... 

Only after a vet from here checked my numbers (i asked for copy) she told me what was wrong and why. 

Unless you yourself look at the numbers and know what you hard looking at - the doc "They are fine" does not mean a thing to me.  

I.e. my iron, ferritin, D, proteins, B12...were normal - but barely normal... So even though technically I was not deficient - I was not functioning very well... I was tired, low anergy, etc.  Plus some where not tested. I had to add and insited they would be tested every year. 

What are your numbers? What are you currently taking ? What and how much ? I.a - taking iron and calcium together May prevent your body absorbing iron. 

D3 - in blood work works best at least 50 - 80.... Some people like it close to 100..and if in were in your shoes - I would aim for that. 

Because of RNY - for better absorbtion - we need dry form (water soluble) of bit D3, k2, or A. 

Are you taking D3? How much? What about calcium with magnesium? We need citrate calcium and magnesium. 

How about B12? I feel best with my B12 Over 800.. When it drops to 500 I feel slugish... 

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

ccarter7424
on 7/21/16 5:56 pm

Hi. I can relate to having to educate primary docs on what our needs are. I am suffering big time due to being stupidly non-compliant on taking any supplements. Went to primary care after 4 days of sudden horrible twitches in both calves, tingling, creepy crawly feelings, horrible fatigue, and muscle tightness and heaviness. Had to practically demand a B12 shot and asked him to check D. Drew blood AFTER fixing the shot so result was more than 2000, and D was 8!! Very very low. I told him if D is that low, calcium probably is too, and he said I didn't need calcium checked (it hasn't been checked in 4 years), and told me to just take the RX D he gave me (50,000 mg) a week and take over the counter D, 1000 daily. That was 3 days ago and no change yet except less twitching, not much tingling, but legs feel like cinder blocks they are so tight and heavy! I got calcium myself and am taking 1000 a day and pray it helps! If no significant change in a few days I'm going to have to go back to surgeon's office (been 6 years since surgery) and beg them to evaluate me. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/22/16 10:35 am

The Rx D is probably D2. and packed in oil. not only you may have difficulties to absorb - but also convert to D3. 

To maintain my D3 at 60-80 level I take 2 x a week 50,000 IU D3 dry ...in a capsule form.   When  my D3 was low - I used to take for 4 weeks) 1 -50,000 Iu dry D3 every day... My blood work show D from 29 to 95...  my doc was impressed taht I wa able to get it that high that fast.. he told me taht normally people needs 2+ years to get it from low levels to just normal.. whatever... 

if I were you - I woudl seriously consider ordering the D3 dry 50,000 IU -( Biotech - on Amazon) and I woudl take that for 2 week or so and retest... I am not a doc - I can't tell you what to do... but the RxD- so very ineffective.. IMO... 

ccarter7424
on 7/22/16 10:41 am

Thank you sooooo much! Going to order it right now!

Most Active
Recent Topics