Pre-op exercise/weights help with post wls loose skin?

Partyof8
on 2/18/17 8:22 am

Hi there,

Just wondering from the wls surgery veterans whether you found some pre-surgery exercise / weight lifting helped ease post wls recovery and/or issues of sagging skin?

Thanks

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/19/17 6:30 pm

You have extra skin. Now it is filled with fat.  Once you lose fat - the would be extra skin. Age, genetics can make a difference how that would look. 

As you losing weight - trying to retain as much muscles as possible and build new muscle mass can help with the extra skin - even lose skin that show nice muscles can look attractive.  

Retain and build muscles.  That's why exercises and nutrition is important. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Gail Engebretson
on 2/24/17 2:07 pm - Seattle, WA

There are a lot of factors that go into the answer to that question. I found personally that it helped to a small degree. I lost 170 lbs and had a LOT of extra skin plus I was 53 years old. Those 2 factors worked against me. But I believe it helped some - especially in my arms. Weight training is always good for numerous reasons. It increases metabolism so you burn more calories, it gives you more balance and stability, you feel better, gives your body a little more definition and helps create a positive self/body image. So go for it!

Most Active
Recent Topics