Anyone use Bone Broth for their protein instead of Whey Protein?

DesertSwimmer
on 4/1/18 3:04 pm - Kingman, AZ
RNY on 09/11/06 with

Hi! Haven't posted in a long time. I had RNY 2006. Lost the weight and kept it off until 212, put back on 40 lbs and went back to basics to take it off again. I use 3 clean meals, no snacks, water, calcium, and magnesium.

Had to have Gall Bladder removed 2017. Since then have had multiple problems with reactive hypoglycemia any time I eat too many carbs.

Changed my protein source from Whey Protein to just real food. Then noticed my hair thinning and nails splitting and cracking. Tried whey protein again and more problems. Major sugar type rush and crash.

Lately was introduced to Bone Broth and it seems to be doing the job. I supplement my regular food meals with Bone Broth twice a day. I track my food on Bariatastic App. Good app for before surgery too.

I shoot for 60 grams protein a day. Was wondering for anyone at least 10 years out, are you still using whey protein? and are you still keeping to 100-120 grams protein? and last but not least, is anyone using Bone Broth as their protein supplement?

Thanks in advance!

Just when the catapiller thought the world was over . . . It became a Butterfly!

The Choices We Make Dictate The Life We Lead 
Linda W.
on 4/2/18 4:20 pm - Clearlake, CA

I'm only 8 years out (almost). I still get 90 + grams of protein per day, and I still use whey protein supplements. I make sure the supplements have 5 grams or less of sugar or sugar alcohols. And look for hidden sugars. I have issues with RH as well, had my gall bladder removed almost 20 years ago and I'm not sure that has anything to do with it. I just know if I eat too many carbs, I crash. So my diet consists primarily of protein and vegetables. I've never tried bone broth, I imagine its pretty good. I just haven't decided yet if it's worth trying or just another fad that will fade away.

Linda    
DesertSwimmer
on 4/2/18 5:23 pm - Kingman, AZ
RNY on 09/11/06 with

Thanks for answering! That is so true, hidden sugars are sneaky. Yep, carbs are not my friend. I do like the bone broth. I buy an organic one that is sugar-free, low sodium and gives me 9 grams of Protein for 8 oz. Pretty easy to sip plain too. I find it's a lot better than the whey protein, so as long as it's working for me plan to stick to it. As I've gotten farther out from surgery I've moved to removing anything processed and just feel better. I don't consider it a fad, I guess because the first time I heard about it was from an article by Dr. Louise Parsons. She discussed it back in the 50's and 60's. :)

Just when the catapiller thought the world was over . . . It became a Butterfly!

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/10/18 1:31 am

The bone broth protein is really collagen protein. still Ok for us for skin, bones,hair. But it is not a complete protein. I use that in addition to the min complete protein we need daily. (60-80)

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

DesertSwimmer
on 4/14/18 10:05 am - Kingman, AZ
RNY on 09/11/06 with

Thank you! I was having issues with those so makes sense. :)

camai
on 4/23/18 9:52 am

Haven't done protein shakes or anything else in a few years. Thanks for the reminder to get that protein in. Also had WLS in 2006 but am now 40 lbs up from my lowest. Am determined to get back down.

Will start tracking posts here for the support and reminders of things I should be doing.

Thanks

MyBariatricLife
on 4/23/18 7:59 pm

I had RNY in 2003. I make my own bone broth. Pro Tips: be sure to use organic and get an electric pressure cooker. I have a 10-qt electric pressure cooker that I set for 240 minutes. As long as I use lots of marrow bones and meaty bones and just a few veggies for flavoring then my broth will gelatinize when it cools. This is the best quality! And I get about 4-5 quarts -- a week or two worth of bone broth! oh, and you can use the bones over and over. So it is very economical. And it is very easy to make.

I don't think that bone broth is very high in protein, though. So I also take Zint Collagen powder in a beverage every day and/or Now Foods Beef Gelatin powder. These brands were recommended by my clinical nutritionist.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

DesertSwimmer
on 5/9/18 9:15 am - Kingman, AZ
RNY on 09/11/06 with

Thank you! Really appreciate how you make your Bone Broth. It gets really pricey to buy it.

Also appreciate the tip on the Collagen and Gelatin powder. I've used the NOW Collagen in past.

MyBariatricLife
on 5/9/18 10:09 am

You are very welcome. It sure does get pricey. And the homemade tastes far superior. It is so easy to make in the electric pressure cooker. I can't see what I wrote at the moment but if I did not mention it, you can use the bones over until they fall apart. Just add a couple of new marrow bones every so often. I was throwing out all of my organic marrow bones at first -- and that's pricey, too!

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

ShandrewsCA
on 5/8/18 3:51 pm - Coeur D Alene, ID

I use two scoops of Isopure Zero-Carb protein powder and blend with water & ice, that gives me a nice 50g of extra protein a day on top of the 55-60g I eat. It is the only protein powder I can use that doesn't make me dump because of the high sugar/sugar substitute content. It also has BCAAs which help prevent sore muscles from exercise.

From Amazon: No Artificial Colors, Flavors & Sweeteners - 25g of 100% High-Quality Whey Protein Isolate (per scoop) - Gluten, Lactose, Aspartame Free

Ingredients: Whey Protein Isolate, Vitamin and Mineral Blend (Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Magnesium Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, D-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Niacinamide, Calcium D-Pantothenate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Thiamin Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Acetate, Chromium Chloride, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Molybdate, Sodium Selenite, Phytonadione, Cyanocobalamin), Soy Lecithin, L-Glutamine, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Sucralose, Xanthan Gum.

Pre-RNY Weight: 280 lbs (09/14/05)

Lowest Post-Op Weight: 140 lbs

Starting Ozempic Weight: 180 lbs (08/26/22)

Week 1 Weight: 174 lbs (09/02/22)

Most Active
Recent Topics