Reactive Hypoglycemia VS Insulin Resistance

DesertSwimmer
on 5/19/19 5:23 am - Kingman, AZ
RNY on 09/11/06 with

Anyone else over 10 years out please research both Reactive Hypoglycemia AND Insulin Resistance.

I thought I was having Reactive Hypoglycemia (RA) when really I was Insulin Resistance (IR).

Symptoms of Blood Sugar Imbalances

Reactive hypoglycemia symptoms (low blood sugar spikes)

• Increased energy after meals
  • Craving for sweets between meals
  • Irritability if meals are missed
  • Dependency on coffee and sugar for energy
  • Becoming light headed if meals are missed
  • Eating to relieve fatigue
  • Feeling shaky, jittery, or tremulous
  • Feeling agitated and nervous
  • Become upset easily
  • Poor memory, forgetfulness
  • Blurred vision

Insulin resistance symptoms (high blood sugar spikes)

• Fatigue after meals
  • General fatigue
  • Constant hunger
  • Craving for sweets not relieved by eating them
  • Must have sweets after meals
  • Waist girth equal to or larger than hip girth
  • Frequent urination
  • Increased appetite and thirst
  • Difficulty losing weight
  • Migrating aches and pains

I found this from www.drknews.com. I have no affiliation with this dr. He is a researcher and functional medicine doctor that has free information on his website regarding the Autoimmune Protocol food plan.

This has helped me to understand what I'm dealing with and to help with the malabsorption issues I'm having. Submitting it here to hopefully help anyone else dealing with the same. For me after I eat to many carbs I get very tired between 1-2 hours after a meal, then my arthritis flares for the next day or sometimes more. If you can relate to that, this may help you.

Just when the catapiller thought the world was over . . . It became a Butterfly!

The Choices We Make Dictate The Life We Lead 
Persistence
on 5/20/19 3:01 pm

What an excellent summary of the difference between symptoms of reactive hypoglycemia (RA) and insulin resistance (IR). I am 11 years out and dealing with the symptoms of RA and appreciate your contribution. I do hope some others who may be uncertain about some of the signs will consult their doctor about it.

Thanks for your post.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/5/19 1:05 pm

I have hypoglycemia, RH (Reactive Hypoglycemia) and I have insulin resistance.

A long time ago I bought a blood sugar meter and I periodically test my blood sugar to be able to distinguish between, Hypoglycemia, RH, and High sugars. A person can have insulin resistance (IR) and RH.

I most likely have IR from before I had my RNY. Post op, since my gut ha been rerouted, it response to carbs or sugars with releasing too much insulin. Even with insulin resistance, too much insulin compared to normal person would still drive the BS down, causing RH.

Beside RH I also can get the simple hypoglycemia in a middle of the night or in the mornings. I developed adrenal insufficiency, and our body needs cortisone to control insulin and to bring the glycogen stored in the liver or muscles to balance low BS. Too much steroids can create insulin resistance, but not enough - the body may not know when to stop releasing insulin and bring sugar from storage to replenish the used blood sugar.

Our body is such a complicated machine, and when one element failed, all the others may not be properly balanced.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Recent Topics