Starting Over after Pouch Reset

Persistence
on 6/24/19 2:03 pm

Thanks for your kind reply. I think the increase in dumping was directly related to falling back into too much sugar and fats. Since I am back on track it is certainly improved. Fortunately my health is good, BP is down to normal, and no sign of diabetes. I am following the Post-op guidelines again. You know, "protein first, etc...". It's been 10 years and I never really made my goal. I am now 70. I want to beat this before I die, or go down fighting. It has been disappointing that there is not much traffic on this forum, especially since there seems to be so many who made their goal and are still holding it. Thanks again for your words of encouragement.

Bitmoji ImageMaureen

Amy R.
on 6/24/19 7:55 pm

Glad to know you're ok and that the culprit is only certain foods. Not to say that is any easier to manage.

I agree that the forums are slow at times, especially compared to back when I was new here. Have you tried posting on the dedicated RnY or VSG pages? Those seem to get more traffic.

Forums themselves seem slower just in general; since FB happened to all of us much of the action has migrated there.

Amy R.
on 6/24/19 7:59 pm

I'm just now seeing you are in the Grads Forum. It is much MUCH more active over on the main boards. Have you posted in either of these? :

Main Forum

RnY Forum

I can almost promise you'll see more activity in either of those than you will right here. =)

KimG24
on 6/25/19 7:20 am

Congrats! This is so exciting to hear. I had RNY in 2004. My highest weight was 390 and my lowest weight was 190. I am currently at 207 and I need to get it under control. That is 17 lbs that I have gained over the last 3 years. I need to catch this and get it under control before it becomes a bigger problem. I think I will go to protein only, then veggies and no carbs. This seems to work for me. I do still get full when I only do protein, it is just a matter of setting my mind to not eating carbs. :)

Anyways, congrats!!!!!!

Kim

Amy R.
on 6/26/19 8:43 pm

I just wanted to encourage you Kim. My high was 347 and my lowest post op was 177. Last year I was in the 190's at this time and I decided to lose the 20 pounds. I actually kept going and now today I am here at 142.

Yep, at 10+ years out I lost 50ish pounds last year. There's another member here who lost over 60 I believe at about 15 years out. She was my inspiration.

Just wanted you to know that what you're working with is completely doable. Good luck, it takes much more time than it did right out of surgery to lose the weight but the bottom line is that you CAN lose it. =)

happyjumpy
on 1/1/20 3:03 pm - santa barbara, CA

Were you able to do this without struggling with hunger? Or were you hungry at first but your body adapted?
I did well for the first five years, then backslidden gained over a third of what I have lost, as well as my overall sense of well-being and good appetite control. When I try to start over I keep struggling with hunger. Hoping you can tell me that It got easier, since with the new year I'm starting over once again.

VSG 5/17/10 HW 298 GW 145 CW 143
Kathie 

‎"Shame is the lie someone told you about yourself." Anais Nin  
Amy R.
on 1/4/20 5:09 am

Hi Kathie,

I was never physically hungry. But there were many times I wanted a specific food and/or had a hard time passing something up. I think that's what they call "head hunger".

The bottom line reason for re-gain is overfeeding our bodies. Eating more calories than we burn, etc. That was certainly applicable to me. So even though I cut my calories, I was still eating more than I could burn. I'm convinced that's the reason I escaped any physical hunger sensations.

Losing weight will never be as easy as it was in our first and second years. The pouch does make it easier for us to lose the weight than it is for non-ops if we still have restriction. I'm just over 11 years out and am fortunate to still feel restriction on a regular basis. Everyone is different though.

I hope I answered your questions. Good luck to you. You can do this.

happyjumpy
on 1/4/20 9:50 am - santa barbara, CA

Thank you!!!!

VSG 5/17/10 HW 298 GW 145 CW 143
Kathie 

‎"Shame is the lie someone told you about yourself." Anais Nin  
Debstamper
on 3/9/20 1:35 pm - CA

Amy,

That is so encouraging. Thank you for posting. Many of us appreciate it. What was your technique?

Thank you.

Deborah

Deborah Nunez
Amy R.
on 3/17/20 6:47 pm

Hi Deborah, sorry I don't get to OH as often any more and just now saw your question.

I didn't really have any technique. I'll message you some of details that kept me going, but of course the bottom line never changes. Calories in/calories out. And though it's pretty frustrating to deal with this whole maintenance and regain thing it's much easier now than working on it at 347 pounds. I always remind myself that if I can lose 200 pounds I can lose 20. It just takes a lot longer once we're further out. I shot for a pound per week.

I'll send you some relapse control info and hopefully it will encourage you. Be well!

Most Active
Recent Topics