Starting Over after Pouch Reset

Persistence
on 5/26/19 10:53 am

I am returning to OH after many years. My RNY was in 2010. I got down to 189 and then regained 36 pounds over the last eight years. I started having trouble handing more and more foods and having dumping syndrome. I am starting over and just completed a 10 day pouch reset plan and have a beginning loss of 8 lbs. I have not had any symptoms since beginning again. I really want to get to my goal even though I am much healthier now than I was before the RNY. My goal is 140. I have tried to restart many times and have given up after the first or second day. I am really pleased I have gone these 10 days. I am hoping that some of you who have regained the weight, or regained and lost it again will share and support with me your successes.

Bitmoji ImageThanks, Maureen

JA
on 5/28/19 8:48 am - East Haven, CT

That is fabulous news! So happy for you. I am struggling as well. Had RNY in 2004 lost 100 lbs, kept it off all this time, but have gained 8 lbs and while that doesn't seem like a lot; it's enough for my clothes not to fit, and scary! What is the pouch reset?

Persistence
on 5/28/19 9:16 am

JA,

Good for you to catch yourself so early! I went into oblivion mode and gained 36 pounds. What got me off, I think, is having issues with certain foods and then replacing them with easy to swallow starches. The Pouch Reset is a plan to (?) restore the pouch to its original size by starting over with clear liquids etc... I researched and found a ten day plan that got me restarted. I posted it in the RNY forum and someone responded with a simpler plan that worked for her. For 8 lbs, her plan is probably just as, or even more effective. She recommended forgetting the liquids, oatmeal, fruit etc. and just going back to protein and 1/2 c veggies, which is what I am doing now. Keeping it simple seems to be important for me. I copied the Reset plan below if you want to see it or readjust it, or just forget it and go simple. I don't really intend to give advice. Keep me posted...

Bitmoji Image Maureen

Pouch Reset

• Day 1: Clear Liquids

1 cup ho****er with lemon and honey on arising and ho****er throughout day.

Breakfast (8:00 AM)

• 1 bowl gelatin
  • 1 cup of coffee or tea, without dairy products
  • Sugar substitute or honey, if desired

Snack (10:30 AM)

• 1 bowl gelatin

Lunch (1:00 PM)

• 1 bowl gelatin
  • 1 glass water
  • 1 cup broth
  • 1 cup tea with honey

Snack (3:00 PM)

• 1 pulp-free ice pop
  • 1 cup tea, without dairy products, or a soft drink
  • Sugar or honey if desired

Dinner (6:00 PM)

• 1 bowl gelatin 1 cup broth
  • 1 cup broth
  • 1 cup coffee or tea, without dairy products
  • Sugar or honey, if desired

Days 2 and 3: Liquid Proteins

• 1 protein shake

• ½ cup nonfat Greek yogurt

• 1 protein shake
  • 1 cup tea without dairy products
  • Sugar substitute or honey

• ½ cup Pudding (low-fat, sugar-free, no added sugar)
  • Sugar substitute or honey if desired

• 1 protein shake
  • 1 cup tea

Snack (8:00 PM)

• 1 cup tea, without dairy products, or a soft drink
  • Sugar substitute or honey if desired

Days 3 and 4: Pureed Foods

6-8 cups non-carbonated sugar free beverages throughout day

No drinking ½ hour before or after meals (1 cup of coffee or tea, without dairy products, Sugar substitute or honey, if desired)

Total volume per meal no more than ½ cup

• ¼ cup scrambled egg and ¼ cup applesauce

• 1 protein shake

• ¼ - ½ cup split pea, lentil soup

• 1 protein shake

• ¼ - 1/3 cup mashed tilapia or tuna with 2 T. soft cooked vegetables (avoid fibrous)

Days 5, 6, and 7: Semi-Soft Foods

• 1 scrambled egg and 1 oz. low-fat cheese, or
  • ¼ - ½ cup oatmeal made with milk plus 2 T protein powder

• ¼ - ½ cup 1% cottage cheese and 2 T fruit (no skin or seeds)

• ¼ - ½ cup split pea or lentil soup, or cream soup made with 1%milk

• 1 protein shake

• ¼ - 1/3 cup tilapia or tuna with 1-2 T. pureed cooked vegetables

Days 8 and 9 Solid Foods

• 1 scrambled egg with diced tomato, onion , and 1 T black olives, or
  • ¼ - ½ cup oatmeal made with milk plus 2 T protein powder

• ½ cup nonfat Greek yogurt with ¼ cup allowed fruit

• 2-3 oz. tuna with light mayo and cucumber slices

• 1 Low-fat cheese stick and apple slices without skins

• 2-3 oz. tilapia, tuna or chicken with ½ cup cooked vegetables (broccoli)

• ½ cup nonfat Greek yogurt with ¼ cup allowed fruit

JA
on 5/28/19 12:23 pm - East Haven, CT

Thanks so much; I actually returned to the gym (I was absent for a long time) and got rid of "most" of the carbs and sugar and I'm down 3 lbs. I truly do know what to do, but I get lost some times. All these years later, and it is still so hard. I really laugh when people say WLS was the "easy way out." They never experienced what we do.

I wish you nothing but the best; feel free to reach out for support any time. I try to pop in here from time to time; there is always "good stuff" here.

JA

Chantellecortez
on 6/6/19 6:31 pm

Hi!

I am 10 yrs post RNY this month and have recently had some serious weight gain, 35 pounds. I did very well maintaining the weight loss (320lbs at surgery, 185 steady until recent weight gain) and only began gaining after having my second child in Nov 2018 (gained a total of 7 lbs while pregnant).

I find that I have returned to ALL my horrible eating habits and am having a really hard time controlling myself.

I was looking at doing a pouch and mental reset and was just hoping to get some input....

All opinions and suggestions are welcome!

My questions are:

Would a pouch reset work this far post surgery?

Do you think a couple of weeks of optifast be a good way to reset the pouch and then slowly reintroduce foods following the full liquids to full diet method?

Any thoughts or advice are greatly appreciated, thanks in advanced! :)

Persistence
on 6/8/19 8:29 am

Hi Chantelle,

My surgery was in 2010 and the pouch reset worked for me. Some one suggested to skip all that and just go to protein first then veggie, and no carbs. I can't attach these files but I am using the follow-up plans I am doing now. When I get off track I just keep starting over. See above post for the whole 10 day reset plan or see below for what I am doing now.

Bitmoji ImageMaureen

Get Back on Track Bariatric Meal Diet

Breakfast CAL PRO CHO

2 Protein 2 egg, or 1 egg & turkey bacon 110 14g 0g

1 Starch 1 toast (Dave's Lite) 60 3g 15g

1 Fruit ½ grapefruit or 3 prunes 60 0g 15g

Fat: Pam spray or ½ tsp ghee

230cal 17g 30g

Lunch

2 Protein: 2 ounces lowfat turkey, chicken, tuna, or salmon 110 14g 0g

2 Vegetable 1 cup (cooked) broccoli. cauliflower, asparagus, or green beans 50 2g 10g

1 Fat 1 tsp ghee, butter, or 2T lowfat mayo 45 0g 0g

205cal 16g 10g

Snack

1 Milk 1 reduced fat string cheese, ½ c (4 oz.) nonfat yogurt or cottage cheese 90 13g 5g

1 Fruit 1 small (4 oz.) apple, orange, ½ c canned fruit or applesauce 60 0g 15g

150cal 13g 20g

Dinner

2 Protein 2 ounces baked fish, or shrimp 110 14g 0g

2 Vegetable 1 cup (cooked) broccoli. cauliflower, asparagus, or green beans 50 2g 10g

1 Fat: 1 tsp ghee, butter, or 2T lowfat mayo _45____0g____0g____

205cal 16g 10g____

TOTAL: 790cal 92g

Less 2 fruit + 1 PRO = 880 calories and 99g PRO and 30g CHO Less 2 fruit = 670 calories and 30g CHO

MarinaGirl
on 6/13/19 7:30 am

Pouch Reset is a fad diet and does NOT restore your pouch to its original size. That is simply wrong information.

A better restart approach is to focus on eating dense protein first, followed by non-starchy vegetables only. And to stop consuming simple carbs, which means cleaning out your environment (home, car, office) of all processed food and sugary beverages.

Persistence
on 6/13/19 8:52 am

Thank you for your kind feedback. You are right of course, that it may not restore the pouch to original size, but it did give me a plan to get back on track. Someone else also suggested the protein first then non-starchy vegetables which I totally think is much simpler as stated above. For me portion control is the key, and staying away from sugar and trigger foods - just as you suggested.

Maureen

grace-n-coffee
on 6/22/19 7:15 pm, edited 6/22/19 12:15 pm

Hi! I am 9 years post-op RNY and I found myself falling back into (and picking up new) bad habits surrounding my eating. My starting surgery weight was ~325 lbs, lowest weight was roughly 175 lbs and I gained back 50 lbs (to 225 lbs). I'm happy to say that I am on my way back down the scale, weighing in at 207 lbs this week! My plan: 1500 calories a day, tracked by using MFP; 40% carbs (fruit, veggies, dairy, nuts and seeds, but very little grains and starchy veg), 30% fat (good fat mostly from nuts and seeds), 30% protein (all the usual suspects, but mostly Greek yogurt, chicken breast, and Pure Protein bars); I've completely cut out sugary/sweet tasting processed items (pastries, cookies, chocolate, also stuff that is labeled sugar free) no ice cream, no chips, no pop (diet or otherwise). I've consulted a bariatric dietitian at a local weight management clinic that is specialized in bariatric surgery and she said that I am doing everything correctly and at long as I'm satiated, my plan is perfect for me. Like I said, this is just what is working for me, your mileage may vary. :-) Cheers!

Amy R.
on 6/24/19 10:58 am

Hi Maureen. The first thing I'd say is to not waste any time with the pouch reset (just another fad diet), but you've already gone there and I'm glad it helped you. Anything that helps with the regain struggle and actually works for somebody is fair game in my book. Outside of eating disorders of course.

Sorry to be so late in responding but the fact that you started having dumping syndrome so far post op is a red flag to me, and I just wanted to urge you to run it by your doctor or surgeon. You probably already know that it's much more likely to stop the dumping farther out than it is to acquire it. Personally my own dumping has gotten more and more severe over the last 10 years but I've got medical issues. Just want to add my two cents because I think running it by a doctor you'll likely be found just fine. But I wish I'd had mine checked as soon as it worsened instead of just chalking it up to some delayed reaction to the surgery.

Maybe I'm reading incorrectly. I hope I am. Congrats on taking on your regain. It's hard when we get to the bigger numbers. Yes, I've been there and am back, but boy what a learning curve. Good luck to you, don't ever give up.

Most Active
Recent Topics