Shrinking stomach

Andibabe
on 5/27/19 10:25 am, edited 5/27/19 10:26 am - Sharonville, OH

I'm 9 years post VSG, and I still have pretty good restriction, but I can eat half a sandwich and a cup of soup at Panera, for instance and feel full from that. But the soup has to be watery, and often I only eat half the bread on a sandwich. Anyway, you get the picture.

Last December, I had a stomach virus or something and wasn't able to eat much for a day. THe next day it was as if I'd just gotten home from surgery. I could hardly eat anything. (Which is good because I've regained some and want to get rid of it.) I mean, I couldn't even finish half a cup of soup. Over time, this went away.

Well, a couple of days ago, I again had some kind of stomach issue and couldn't eat dinner. The next two days, it's again like I just got out of surgery. There is a ton of restriction.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is the key to keeping good restriction just eating smaller amounts so the stomach doesn't stretch very much?

Persistence
on 5/28/19 9:41 am

Hi there. You asked..

"Has anyone else experienced this? Is the key to keeping good restriction just eating smaller amounts so the stomach doesn't stretch very much?"

Research shows that two years after the sleeve operation, the volume of stomach can double--that's natural and it's no one's fault. As the stomach expands, some patients begin to eat more, and we can also change our eating patterns from our original post-op plan. Portion control is the hardest thing for me. I kick-started starting over with the post bypass plan, setting limits, weighing and measuring my food again. This has knocked out some of the stomach issues I was starting to acquire. I keep forgetting that I lie and cheat about my food and that's part of the problem that got me to the surgery in the first place. I don't intend to give advice, but if physical symptoms dangerously persist, of course see your doctor.

Bitmoji ImageMaureen

(deactivated member)
on 1/13/20 3:29 pm

Was wondering if anyone has tried it and had success. I am now going to try a gluten-free diet and see if that helps. Discover more additional information here.

Most Active
Recent Topics