Recent Posts

squirlyboo
on 7/2/14 8:57 am - GA
Topic: RE: Help Please. I don't know what to do, feel hopeless blood sugar issues.

I also have severe RH and eating close to the Paleo type of diet has saved me . lost 30lbs and no blood sugar spikes since January.. 

jastypes
on 7/2/14 5:49 am - Croydon, PA
Topic: RE: transfer addictions board

I'm not sure!  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/crossingtotransferaddictions/  Is the main group location.  Maybe you have to.  I don't really know how things work around here!

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Lady_K1126
on 7/2/14 5:47 am
Topic: RE: transfer addictions board
On June 23, 2014 at 7:46 AM Pacific Time, jastypes wrote:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/crossingtotransferaddictions/discussion/

In case anyone is in need.  :-)

When I went to the address, I got a message that said I couldn't view it.  Do I have to join a group?

HW:  360   CW: 291.8 GW:  170

bulawookie
on 7/2/14 5:35 am
Topic: RE: Back, after a long absence and a 46lb regain - My story, 4 & 1/2 years out!

Megan,

I really enjoyed reading your post. I am stuck after losing a little. I am new to this site and just got my band 6 weeks ago...have only lost 11 pounds. What is dumping? I am so curious after reading the post's. How do you motivate yourself? Bulawookie

Lady_K1126
on 7/2/14 12:31 am
Topic: RE: Plastic/Skin Surgery

So far, so good.  I like that Dr. Robert is such a straight shooter.  Makes me wonder about his bedside manner at the hospital, but, by then, I'll be a woman on a mission.  I haven't met Dr. Garth yet, but he is doing my EGD on the 25th, so I imagine I'll get to then.  Hoping I don't go all silly fangirl because I loved his book so much.  LOL!

HW:  360   CW: 291.8 GW:  170

SweetLu
on 7/2/14 12:16 am - Piqua, Oh
Topic: RE: Breakng ribs during sex, anyone else?
On July 1, 2014 at 4:56 AM Pacific Time, SweetLu wrote:

OMG, I have been 2 years post op (RNY) Lost 200# and have broken my ribs  during sex FIVE times.  (I know what you're thinking and no it's not wild, and my hubby's only 170 lbs.) I believe it's caused by the pushing of my abdominal apron into my ribs. We have ruled out Osteoporosis.  The X-rays are not showing the fractures, and I have received nothing for pain.  I finally talked the Dr. into a  bone scan which revealed the current and past fractures. (HOORAY!) Is this enough proof to get help from insurance to have the extra skin removed? Is this a problem shared by anyone else?  Oh & if ur tempted to give positional advise, I have also had a recent knee replacement. ;) Thanks.

Thanks for the replies, and yes, it definitely ruins the mood......for about 8 weeks!  lol

jastypes
on 7/2/14 12:10 am - Croydon, PA
Topic: RE: 8 years and still going strong!

Thank you for sharing that!

Blessings, Jill

Jennifer K.
on 7/2/14 12:07 am - Phoenix , AZ
Topic: RE: 8 years and still going strong!

I think a few things... first when I decided to have surgery it was a "last resort" for me... I knew I HAD to make this work for me and there were no other options if I "failed". I told myself I would NEVER go back to the way I was NO MATTER WHAT!

I had a GREAT nutritionist... she really took the time to explain/educate and it awoke an interest in me. I started to educate myself further about nutrition, what is in foods and started to cook for myself more, grow some of my own foods and stopped buying prepackaged/prepared foods and making things from scratch at home.

I weight myself daily, always have and still do.. I have a "trigger point" where I know I am above where I should be an need to reel myself back in and take a look at what I am eating/how much exercise I am doing. This helps me to keep an eye on where I am at and not let things get beyond a point I feel I can control.

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

jastypes
on 7/1/14 10:28 pm - Croydon, PA
Topic: RE: Vacation

My best advice for food on vacation:  Protein first. Stay hydrated. Follow your routine as much as possible.  Pay close attention to your body and stop when you feel satisfied.  Do not try any new or exotic foods while you're away.  Focus on time with family, fun activities, good conversations, love and laughter. 

Blessings, Jill

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/1/14 10:33 am
Topic: RE: Help Please. I don't know what to do, feel hopeless blood sugar issues.

It is long - but it may help you...

I deal with severe RH ... plus some other issues.  But the Rh was really bad.  I had to completely change what and how much I am eating.  I also (finally) went to allergist and was diagnosed with dairy and soy allergies. Great, no?  anyway.. after crying for a day or 2 because I already had severe restrictions - I decided to act my age and changed my diet yet again .  

Add severe gut pains when eating - that is possible IBS-C (C=constipation) and more food restriction... (elimination FODMAP foods)

Anyway, right now - I eat and I no longer deal with low BS (unless I eat stuff that I know I can't-shouldn't)

Trial and error. 

here is what I do -eat: 

protein and fat at every meal - and maybe some carbs. My ideal meal has  calories: 45% fat +35% proteins +20% carbs..  And I am losing weight.  Yes. I gained weight due to RH. In the last 2 months I lost 10 lbs without being hungry or having one low BS episode.  In addition - most of the time my gut pain is very minimal (unless i do something stupid and pay for that for 3-5 days) 

Example of my daily eats: 

coffee with Miralax (followed by more coffee) 

Green tea, water (flavored)

vegan protein shake + added fat (note - the whey and soy allergy..plus plus)

some meat, or eggs or fish plus some  non starchy veggies that my body tolerates...

snack: nuts, homemade protein based cookies or bread (keto- paleo), or  meat stick, or nuts, or nut butter, or bacon - sometimes with or without veggies.. (cucumbers, NSA pickles, greens, roasted veggies, green beans,) 

Dinner - same as lunch.

LNS: just before bed I eat something that has fat and protein - mostly nuts or my own protein cookies.   I chose to have LNS so I don't wake up in a middle of the night with low BS - horrible horrible stuff...

In addition - once or 2 times a week I may have some fruits - but only berries - and never by itself -always with fat and proteins.  

I stay away from any starches.. (grains, beans, rice, potatoes, etc).  Either that stuff is going to hurt me or may make my BS to raise and then drop.  Yea - it is challenging at times - but it is what it is. 

There are a lot of web sites, with great recipes for keto style diet.  I don't feel deprived anymore. I eat burgers and steaks (only fillet - other - too tough - hurts), fish and shrimps and scallops, good sausage (no soy or wheat fillers), chicken and turkey, etc.  plus many veggies. I use coconut oil and bacon fat (no butter = dairy=allergies)

Due to IBS symptoms I also avoid (or really limit) foods from FODMAP (google that) diet. But that still leaves a lot of veggies I can eat. And the small qty of food I can eatin one time - really makes is less difficult to decide what to eat.  Traveling is *****allenging - but most places have grilled fish or chicken - add some veggies and I am set. 

Adding fat and removing carbs made my system rather stable.  Removing food I am allergic to - also helped.  

But I can't have just lean proteins - our body can and it will turn the proteins into blood sugar, so low fat - high protein diet - made me crash over and over.. I was in tears.. Changing  to proteins + fat really made a huge difference in my life.  I chose natural fats - coconut oil, avocado, nuts, olives, bacon fat (from bacon I crisp at home- yummm)  etc.

I try to make sure that even my shakes have 2:1 ratio (protein to fat) i.e. shake with 15 gr of proteins will have 5-8 gr of fat.  But too many fats and I got runs... 

That works for me. 

I still get carbs - but only from nuts, some veggies, some berries.  

I try not to use artificial sweeteners -  some people are very sensitive to them - and in some people - artificial sweeteners can cause insulin release = too much insulin = BS crash. 

I don't use SA (sugar alcohol)  - not only they give me pain - but my body sees them as pure carbs/sugar and I may crash. 

I don't use commercially available protein bars - some claims the low net carbs - do not apply to me. My body things it is all carbs.. 

I try not to use any cold cuts that have sugar added (read labels) so most jerkies are out.  and so on.. 

I do work full time and then some.. have a BF and active life.  But I cook and freeze to grab and go dishes. 

BTW: I test almost any new foods I buy - to see how my body will react to it. i.e. some very low carb egg protein shakes - caused a very rapid blood sugar spike and then RH - I had to return them.  The shake was all natural, with stevia - but with added enzymes - so my body got a shot of very predigested proteins - and even with the fat I added - the 20 gr of proteins - my body turned them into blood sugar very fast.  

I buy protein powders  because if I don't supplement - I can get close to 80-100 of proteins my body needs...And with my IBS- I can have no more that 2 max 3 meals with proteins before everything just start hurting. I was able to find a few brands of vegan protein powders  that taste good enough to drink. Some are just horrible ( so I use them to make cookies, protein muffins, etc). 

I hope that this info may help you in any way. You can PM me - or post your typical day - meals - and your reaction to them and I can tell you if that selection would cause bad reaction for me.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Recent Topics