DesertSwimmer’s Posts

DesertSwimmer
on 5/19/19 5:23 am
Topic: RE: Reactive Hypoglycemia VS Insulin Resistance

Anyone else over 10 years out please research both Reactive Hypoglycemia AND Insulin Resistance.

I thought I was having Reactive Hypoglycemia (RA) when really I was Insulin Resistance (IR).

Symptoms of Blood Sugar Imbalances

Reactive hypoglycemia symptoms (low blood sugar spikes)

• Increased energy after meals
  • Craving for sweets between meals
  • Irritability if meals are missed
  • Dependency on coffee and sugar for energy
  • Becoming light headed if meals are missed
  • Eating to relieve fatigue
  • Feeling shaky, jittery, or tremulous
  • Feeling agitated and nervous
  • Become upset easily
  • Poor memory, forgetfulness
  • Blurred vision

Insulin resistance symptoms (high blood sugar spikes)

• Fatigue after meals
  • General fatigue
  • Constant hunger
  • Craving for sweets not relieved by eating them
  • Must have sweets after meals
  • Waist girth equal to or larger than hip girth
  • Frequent urination
  • Increased appetite and thirst
  • Difficulty losing weight
  • Migrating aches and pains

I found this from www.drknews.com. I have no affiliation with this dr. He is a researcher and functional medicine doctor that has free information on his website regarding the Autoimmune Protocol food plan.

This has helped me to understand what I'm dealing with and to help with the malabsorption issues I'm having. Submitting it here to hopefully help anyone else dealing with the same. For me after I eat to many carbs I get very tired between 1-2 hours after a meal, then my arthritis flares for the next day or sometimes more. If you can relate to that, this may help you.

Just when the catapiller thought the world was over . . . It became a Butterfly!

The Choices We Make Dictate The Life We Lead 
DesertSwimmer
on 5/9/18 9:15 am
Topic: RE: Anyone use Bone Broth for their protein instead of Whey Protein?

Thank you! Really appreciate how you make your Bone Broth. It gets really pricey to buy it.

Also appreciate the tip on the Collagen and Gelatin powder. I've used the NOW Collagen in past.

Just when the catapiller thought the world was over . . . It became a Butterfly!

DesertSwimmer
on 4/14/18 10:05 am

Thank you! I was having issues with those so makes sense. :)

DesertSwimmer
on 4/2/18 5:23 pm

Thanks for answering! That is so true, hidden sugars are sneaky. Yep, carbs are not my friend. I do like the bone broth. I buy an organic one that is sugar-free, low sodium and gives me 9 grams of Protein for 8 oz. Pretty easy to sip plain too. I find it's a lot better than the whey protein, so as long as it's working for me plan to stick to it. As I've gotten farther out from surgery I've moved to removing anything processed and just feel better. I don't consider it a fad, I guess because the first time I heard about it was from an article by Dr. Louise Parsons. She discussed it back in the 50's and 60's. :)

DesertSwimmer
on 4/1/18 4:28 pm
Topic: RE: 9 yrs out and gained back 80 lbs since 2015

Hi! Walking the same walk. I had RNY 2006, lost 100 lb. down to 180' and held there until 2012. Started fostering my two great-nieces and then adopted them. The weight started coming back on as my energy levels tanked. I was always tired after going from being retired to being a mom to two under 10. I started drinking, not a large quantity, but most days to "relax".

Long story short, I gained back 40 lbs. by 2016. Christmas Day I prayed for strength to quit drinking. Then had faith that I had and went from there.

I was lucky enough to find Trim Healthy Mama. Good basic plan, low carb, high protein. I took off 20 lbs in 4 months. The best part was the price, I bought the book for less than $20 on Amazon. Tons of support websites and other mama's working their program. Podcasts too. I still do parts of their program.

Then found Bright Line Eating, that helped me with portions and accountability. I started losing more and got down to 170 by last Halloween. It was a process of retraining my eyes and adding a bunch more veggies instead of carbs. All things I knew but wasn't doing. The thing that helped me the most were the videos on youtube explaining things. They really helped me to stay motivated and encouraged to stick with it.

After going thru a death in our family last month I realized I had started to backslide again, not eating my veggies and choosing sugar to feel better. (that actually made me feel bad! go figure.) I am also up 15 lbs. Damn it.

So I'm here. I'm on board again with journaling my food, I use a wonderful free app on my phone called Bariatastic. I'm making my zoodles and staying away from sugar and carbs. I am in for the long haul.

What have I learned? I only have to do one meal at a time. So I focus on the current meal. I also know that my lieing ***** voice is not my friend and can't get food unless I put it in my mouth. And last but not least, my battleground is not in my house, it's at the store! If I don't buy it, it's not a choice to eat it at home. So making up a menu and trying to stick to it really helps. And other people that offer advice and opinions do not get to choose my food for me, I do. (That includes my husband and kids!)

Hope this helps you! I know doing the Quiz on Bright Line Eating helped me to see that I am a stress eater. And boredom and worry are big stressors for me. I also hate exercise. I've been able to lose without it, but do need to tighten up for sure. lol Nobody needs to see that.

Don't give up! It's totally worth making the choice for one meal. :)

DesertSwimmer
on 4/1/18 4:26 pm
Topic: RE: 9 yrs out and gained back 80 lbs since 2015

Hi! Walking the same walk. I had RNY 2006, lost 100 lb. down to 180' and held there until 2012. Started fostering my two great-nieces and then adopted them. The weight started coming back on as my energy levels tanked. I was always tired after going from being retired to being a mom to two under 10. I started drinking, not a large quantity, but most days to "relax".

Long story short, I gained back 40 lbs. by 2016. Christmas Day I prayed for strength to quit drinking. Then had faith that I had and went from there.

I was lucky enough to find Trim Healthy Mama. Good basic plan, low carb, high protein. I took off 20 lbs in 4 months. The best part was the price, I bought the book for less than $20 on Amazon. Tons of support websites and other mama's working their program. Podcasts too. I still do parts of their program.

Then found Bright Line Eating, that helped me with portions and accountability. I started losing more and got down to 170 by last Halloween. It was a process of retraining my eyes and adding a bunch more veggies instead of carbs. All things I knew but wasn't doing. The thing that helped me the most were the videos on youtube explaining things. They really helped me to stay motivated and encouraged to stick with it.

After going thru a death in our family last month I realized I had started to backslide again, not eating my veggies and choosing sugar to feel better. (that actually made me feel bad! go figure.) I am also up 15 lbs. Damn it.

So I'm here. I'm on board again with journaling my food, I use a wonderful free app on my phone called Bariatastic. I'm making my zoodles and staying away from sugar and carbs. I am in for the long haul.

What have I learned? I only have to do one meal at a time. So I focus on the current meal. I also know that my lieing ***** voice is not my friend and can't get food unless I put it in my mouth. And last but not least, my battleground is not in my house, it's at the store! If I don't buy it, it's not a choice to eat it at home. So making up a menu and trying to stick to it really helps. And other people that offer advice and opinions do not get to choose my food for me, I do. (That includes my husband and kids!)

Hope this helps you! I know doing the Quiz on Bright Line Eating helped me to see that I am a stress eater. And boredom and worry are big stressors for me. I also hate exercise. I've been able to lose without it, but do need to tighten up for sure. lol Nobody needs to see that.

Don't give up! It's totally worth making the choice for one meal. :)

DesertSwimmer
on 4/1/18 3:04 pm

Hi! Haven't posted in a long time. I had RNY 2006. Lost the weight and kept it off until 212, put back on 40 lbs and went back to basics to take it off again. I use 3 clean meals, no snacks, water, calcium, and magnesium.

Had to have Gall Bladder removed 2017. Since then have had multiple problems with reactive hypoglycemia any time I eat too many carbs.

Changed my protein source from Whey Protein to just real food. Then noticed my hair thinning and nails splitting and cracking. Tried whey protein again and more problems. Major sugar type rush and crash.

Lately was introduced to Bone Broth and it seems to be doing the job. I supplement my regular food meals with Bone Broth twice a day. I track my food on Bariatastic App. Good app for before surgery too.

I shoot for 60 grams protein a day. Was wondering for anyone at least 10 years out, are you still using whey protein? and are you still keeping to 100-120 grams protein? and last but not least, is anyone using Bone Broth as their protein supplement?

Thanks in advance!

Most Active
Recent Topics