New here looking for ????

lilfatgirlfrommissouri
on 4/19/11 1:14 am - MO
Im new to OH.. im 28 3kids and married. ive been overweight since 11, 12 ish.. i go for my first consult for weightloss surgery on may 9th any tips? or advise? thanks in advance!!!

(deactivated member)
on 4/19/11 8:59 am
My advice is to have a surgery that keeps a normal functioning stomach that doesn't require putting a foreign object in you. That means the duodenal switch (DS) and vertical sleeve gastrectomy (vsg) are the best options. You can research the DS at www.dsfacts.com. If you don't want the malabsorbtion then get the VSG.
Nathalie R.
on 4/19/11 10:28 am - Oklahoma City, OK
First off congratulations on starting this process. It is a ride and at least for me in the end it has been worth it. I would like to start off by saying research all the surgeries and choose the best one for you. The only person who can make that choice is you.

I had RNY surgery a little over a year ago. I started off at 296 and as of today I am 143. I was a 26/28pants and 26/28 shirt, I am a med/lg juniors shirt, 8 pants, and 8/10 dress. I am still losing but slowly. I had a hell of a time in the beginning. With the Rny I got stricture after stricture and ended up having 11 endoscopies. I also had to have my gallbladder removed 2 months after gastric bypass. It was really rough and I spend a lot of time in the hospital but I would do the surgery again in a heart beat. This has given me my life back. Rny was the best choice for me because I needed the "extra" restriction and rules. I have friends who have done well on all of the surgeries but I have friends who have done bad also. It all depends on how committed you are to getting the results you want in the end. I do wish you luck in whatever you choose. Feel free to ask me any questions if you have any. 

Nathalie

*~*~* True Beauty lies within the Imperfections *~*~*
Find me on Facebook...
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1437043148&ref=name
lilfatgirlfrommissouri
on 4/19/11 11:16 am - MO
Post Date: 4/19/11 3:59 pm
My advice is to have a surgery that keeps a normal functioning stomach that doesn't require putting a foreign object in you. That means the duodenal switch (DS) and vertical sleeve gastrectomy (vsg) are the best options. You can research the DS at www.dsfacts.com. If you don't want the malabsorbtion then get the VSG

Thankyou for your response. that website is very informational and when i go to my first consult i will be sure to ask about these procedures. thanks again :)

(deactivated member)
on 4/19/11 11:22 am
Another bit of advice.

Before going to a surgeon, you should already know what surgery you want. If you just ask a surgeon, they will try to sell you on something they can do. More surgeons are doing the sleeve nw, but there are much fewer DS surgeons. If you want a DS, you have to go to a DS surgeon. There is a list on dsfacts.
lilfatgirlfrommissouri
on 4/19/11 11:30 am - MO
First off congratulations on starting this process. It is a ride and at least for me in the end it has been worth it. I would like to start off by saying research all the surgeries and choose the best one for you. The only person who can make that choice is you.

I had RNY surgery a little over a year ago. I started off at 296 and as of today I am 143. I was a 26/28pants and 26/28 shirt, I am a med/lg juniors shirt, 8 pants, and 8/10 dress. I am still losing but slowly. I had a hell of a time in the beginning. With the Rny I got stricture after stricture and ended up having 11 endoscopies. I also had to have my gallbladder removed 2 months after gastric bypass. It was really rough and I spend a lot of time in the hospital but I would do the surgery again in a heart beat. This has given me my life back. Rny was the best choice for me because I needed the "extra" restriction and rules. I have friends who have done well on all of the surgeries but I have friends who have done bad also. It all depends on how committed you are to getting the results you want in the end. I do wish you luck in whatever you choose. Feel free to ask me any questions if you have any. 

Nathalie

Ist let me say congrats you on your sucess.. wow i can only dream 1 day i will be @ that weight.
Im so ready to turn my life around and live again. i have 3 children ages 6, 7 and 9. My galbladder was removed after i had my first child so thats not going to be an issue for me. ive been strugling with my weight so long ( since i was 11)i just got fed up and went in to a stage to where i didnt care anymore. i had let my weight get the best of me and i had lost the battle. BUT THE WARS NOT OVER YET!!!!! i started lookn in to weightloss surgery last summer. my ''baby'' was going to kindergarden and i had more me time during the day. My kids brought home papers from school inviting moms to come for break with their kids. I didnt go, i was so depressed about my weight and fear of kids? not so much kids but my kids being teased at school because their moms "huge" i remember being a kid and being teased . kids are mean enough with out givin them an extra reason to tease i didnt wana put my kids thru that. I know ITS TIME somethings got to give.. I may have "lost a battle or to but i am not goint to loose this weight loss war!!!
  sorry thats so long just giving an idea of how ready i am to take proactive steps twards my weight loss. Im sure i will have more questions as i go but for now thanks for reading my post and  replying :)

Nathalie R.
on 4/22/11 10:50 am - Oklahoma City, OK
Thanks and I wish you just as much success. I too got to a point where I didn't care how I looked and then one day I realized that it's not all about looks. It was about becoming healthy. Do I have bad days... Yes but so do people who havn't had surgery. I just put it in the past and strive to do better the next day. I am not extremely familiar with the other surgery types b/c I was set on RNY. I hope that you find the surgery that fits your goals and lifestyle.

Much luck and talk to you soon :)

Nathalie
**If you have facebook I'm on there much more than here. You can add me if you wanna talk there.

*~*~* True Beauty lies within the Imperfections *~*~*
Find me on Facebook...
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1437043148&ref=name
ambermay
on 4/23/11 6:21 am
I know what you mean about the kids and teasing thing.  I don't want that for my kids either.  I am currently in month 4 of my 6 month pre approval for the insurance company.  I am hoping to have RNY.  I am also 28.  I have 2 kids 2 and 4.  :)  This is a great site to research the different types.  I see that some people push the type of surgery they had as though it is the only right one.  Every person is different and what is best for one may not be best for you.  I hope everthing goes well for you!

5'6" -- HW 270ish/SW 153.6/GW 150/CW 138
Amber

Most Active
Recent Topics
I regret getting so big
mirandamacie · 0 replies · 445 views
Any "surgery twins" ??
Vampy · 11 replies · 2174 views
Loose skin at 21
nataliaxrivera · 2 replies · 4086 views
Feeling lost
PenguinArmy · 1 replies · 6644 views