Quitting smoking before surgery?

harmerel194
on 10/4/11 5:13 am
I've wanted to quit smoking for a couple of years now, but have never found the motivation to do so. My sister is also considering weight loss surgery and had her first appointment last week. She quit smoking about 6 months ago. She told me that the doctor told her that she needs to continue to not smoke, and she told me that I also will need to quit smoking to have my surgery. I am ok with this, like i've said, i've wanted to quit for a while now. I'm ready to start a healthier life style and change the bad habits that I've been doing for many years. I guess my question is this: have any of you experienced having to quit smoking for your surgery? And how long do you need to not smoke before they will do it? I'm just worried that because I'm just quitting now that it might draw out the process of setting a surgery date and being approved and what not.
Ashleyxx
on 10/4/11 5:41 am - Detroit, MI
Hey Harmerel, every surgeon is different but mine says 30 days before surgery. If he has any doubts that you didnt stop he will give you a nicotine test and if it comes up postive he will not preform surgery on you.

I thought I would be getting surgery early in the year (still trying to find a new PCP since my surgeon has switched hospitals) and I quit in April (I slipped up a day or two, but brushed myself up and tried again) and have been smoke free since. I wont lie it is hard, but everyday gets better and better. My surgeon said if I needed any help at all he could prescribe me the pill or patches, but I wanted to try cold turkey and I was able too.

Good luck, if you get the urges just think about how bad you want surgery!!
harmerel194
on 10/4/11 7:19 am
Thank you! I'm trying to quit cold turkey as well. Wish me luck!
jfur
on 10/4/11 11:20 pm - Topeka, KS

Hi there! I had to quit smoking to have my surgery. It was not easy but it was totally worth it. My doc didn't give me a time limit. He just did nicotine testing. I work in a lab and can tell you that the nicotine can stay in your body for a while! The longer you've been smoking, the longer it will stay in your system. Also, if you are taking a nicotine test you must also not hang out with someone who is smoking. The second hand smoke has nicotine in it as well and can show up in your blood. Personally, I decided to go on this huge health kick when I decided to have the surgery. I got myself all pumped up about it and it made my liquid diet and quitting smoking alot easier. I wouldn't suggest doing both at the same time. I did, and almost lost my mind. Although, if I could keep a health kick for very long, I wouldn't have needed the surgery! It really helps to have an accountability buddy (someone that lives close by) that will put his/her foot down everytime you wanna cig. Quitting cold turkey is the best, but the hardest. I wish you all the luck. Alot of us have done it. You can too!! Think about how wonderful it is that you are making all these steps to a healthier you!

harmerel194
on 10/5/11 6:14 am
I ended up having to break down and buy some nicotine gum today. But I guess it's better than going out and buying a pack of cigarettes!
jfur
on 10/5/11 11:53 pm - Topeka, KS

I agree! You gotta do what you gotta do. If I had to guess.. it might be easier to quit the gum than straight up cigarettes. Then the gum weens you off the best cig moments. (and example of my favorites are: traffic jams, alone time on the porch, anytime when beer was involved) To me that was the part I missed the most. So it would make since to quit that part first and then just slowly leave the whole nicotine world behind. Your headed in the right direction. It's super hard. I hope you reach your goals! Best of luck to you. :)

harmerel194
on 10/6/11 11:03 am
Yeah, my weakest moments are when my son starts acting up or is grumpy (he's 3, will be 4 in january). I just get so frustrated! And definitely after meals. The gum has seemed to help so far! Thank you!
Most Active
Recent Topics
I regret getting so big
mirandamacie · 0 replies · 444 views
Any "surgery twins" ??
Vampy · 11 replies · 2160 views
Loose skin at 21
nataliaxrivera · 2 replies · 4081 views
Feeling lost
PenguinArmy · 1 replies · 6642 views