exercise question

sweetgirlt26
on 12/11/11 8:41 am
RNY on 01/04/12 with
 hey everyone, ive been active all my life playing on numerous sports and i was wondering once i get my surgery when i will be able to play sports again (softball) ayone else in this situation? 
Fancy4684
on 12/12/11 7:46 am
You have to check with your doctor but I was cleared for full activity at my 4 week visit. My surgeon was all for me getting up and moving around!
smiley_k
on 12/12/11 8:45 am
My clinic was much more conservative in activity. I was walking day after surgery, doing short, frequent trips around the hospital floor as I got tired easily. I was encouraged to up my activity to at least a half hour a day of activity for the rest of my life. At about 2 months, I was allowed to do gym exercises, except for core exercise machines, then at about 4 months, I was okay for aquafit. My plan doesn't want me doing any exercises that work my core muscles until 6 months as the interior of your stomach and the muscles need time to heal. That being said, I have done activity that inadvertantly works my core (like trampoline dodgeball or zumba on wii) but went at my own pace and listened to my body. 

Check with your clinic and follow what your body tells you.

Katie  ♥     

* Nicole *
on 12/13/11 11:13 pm
It will be up to your surgeon, but being an ex softball player myself give yourself a couple months. Even if your surgery is laproscopic it takes just as long to heal as an open procedure, its a common misconception that laproscopic heals quicker. Only thing that is quicker is the skin healing on the stomach, your muscle isnt healed, your rearrainged body isnt healed. That take upwards of 3-6 months. Plus your gonna get the lack of energy hit probably about 3-4 weeks post op.

I was told not to even handle my horse (only had 1 at the time) for 3 weeks, just in case she spooked or something. Very well mannered horse but you never know. Just like you never know if you are going to take a line drive to the gut.

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."

Samantha L.
on 12/14/11 10:54 pm
you will be able to feel when you are healed, and you wont want to play until then. :p
Kim W.
on 12/30/11 5:44 am - TX
VSG on 03/15/11 with
 I play roller derby and it is super aggressive, fast, and FULL CONTACT.  I was back to my regular routine within 1 month :)  And lemme tell you, being already active, and continuing to stay active in conjunction with my surgery has made ALL the difference!  I have more muscle tone -- also I am even faster and have more endurance skating.  Losing the weight makes all the difference!  I am 9 months out from surgery and down 80 lbs :)

best of luck to you!  congrats!

Kim W., 26, Arlington, TX
Most Active
Recent Topics
I regret getting so big
mirandamacie · 0 replies · 445 views
Any "surgery twins" ??
Vampy · 11 replies · 2174 views
Loose skin at 21
nataliaxrivera · 2 replies · 4086 views
Feeling lost
PenguinArmy · 1 replies · 6644 views