6 month diet, problems with doctor.

harmerel194
on 6/1/12 2:33 am
 So, I started my 6 month diet in March. Yesterday was my 3 month check in. I'm having some probelms with my doctor. I've been going to my family doctor for my check ins because my surgeon is 3 hours away. She hates that I want to have WLS. Every time I go in she tells me how it's a bad decision and doesn't like that I want to have it done because I am so young. She believes that I can just lose the weight on my own. I'm finding this very difficult. It's hard to go to her every month when I know she is going to tell me that she thinks I'm making a bad decision. I keep telling her that I've been overweight for YEARS, and that I've tried every diet out there with no success. I need the help. I many only be 22, but I want to change my life, and I want to start a healthier life now. Not when it's too late. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how did you handle the situation? It's too late to start going to a new doctor, and I feel like even if i did, they would all say the same thing. Help!
LJ123
on 6/1/12 8:02 am
I haven't had an issues with my doctor, but I have felt like some people think I shouldn't be having WLS as young as I am (25).

However, I look at my mother, who was morbidly obese her entire adult life until she had WLS 2 years ago, and I am reminded why I believe I have made the right decision. She was extremely unhappy with her appearance and health for her entire adulthood.

I don't think young people who have tried multiple times to lose weight and been unsuccessful should live uncomfortable, possibly unhappy lives into late adulthood before being judged worthy of WLS.

There really is no reason to wait, and many reasons not to. I want to be confident and satisfied with my physical appearance, and I definitely don't want to wait until I am in my 40's or 50's to feel that way.
harmerel194
on 6/1/12 9:58 am
 I haven't really been judged by anyone else besides my doctor. All of my family really supports my decision. My sister, who is 32 just has WLS in January, and it's incredible the transformation that she has made. She's happier, healthier. She is definitely my number one supporter on this decision. I just want to be healthy. I want to live a life where my weight isn't a health concern at all. I'm tired of trying ever diet that I come across with no success. Although my doctor IS sending in the required information each month, she makes it very clear of her views on the situation. I feel like my doctor should WANT me to be happy and healthy, not hold me back from doing so. It's just so discouraging every time I go in for my check ups. I just really don't know how to deal with the situation anymore. But i just keep going in every month because I KNOW this is what I want.

Thanks for your insight, it is very appreciated :) 
hannan
on 6/3/12 9:23 am - FL
RNY on 06/06/12
I'm 21 and I'm having surgery on Wednesday! My PCP for years was not supportive of me they always tried to sign me up for these diet pill programs and all sorts of things I just didn't want to do especially when I was 15. I didn't see them for years so when I called them and said I needed an appointment because I wanted to have WLS they immediately said my insurance did not cover it (it does). They were so unsupportive and I was so upset. SO I found a new doctor, someone who supported me and what I wanted to do. You are your number 1 advocate! Don't be upset that one doctor things you can just diet and exercise or a doctor that tells you to take diet pills. Just find a new doctor!

courtwillbehealthy
on 6/7/12 1:24 pm - burlington, VT
i went through some of that in the beginning as well they thought i was young and didnt know what i was getting my self into. im only 21 but i am a mother and wife i grew up fast and Was going to be Damned if someone was going to take my chance of being a healthy mother to my two beautiful children! i had my surgery june 4th 2012 and im doing so much better :) i havnt weighed my self yet because the surgeon told me not to till the 14th. :) so im trying not to.  anyways just keep insisting its whats best and im sure it will be over before you know it :) 
STAROFEGYPT101
on 6/19/12 1:40 am - NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
I had WLS when I was 23 and am now 29 years old it was worth it to me, I lost 165lbs and no long am insulin resistant or on blood pressure medication. I think however that you can live a healthier life with out surgery because you eat right and exercise. I am almost 6 years out and am eating right and exercising to try and stay healthy. The surgery helps you lose weight you  have to mentally be ready to follow the guidlines to eating and exercising other wise what is the purpose. The surgery get you started losing easily but, it doesn't last forever you have a honeymoon time where you will lose no matter what and once it is over and you think you can eat what you want you will blow up again. Experience
Amy B.
on 7/7/12 10:22 am - Deerfield, IL
 That sucks, and it's got to be hard.  You should know that you'll encounter medical professionals for the rest of your life who will not necessarily agree with your decision - so maybe you can consider this an intensive training course?  Don't give up.  Your family doctor can't stop you from having WLS, she can be a bother, but she can't stop you.  If I were you, I would go every time prepared to let her advice on WLS roll off your back.  You know what she's going to say, you've probably already heard her say it, so future visits won't catch you unprepared.  Be faithful in your follow-ups/check-ins, and a year from now, when you've lost weight and are feeling better, her nagging will be a small price to pay.  Best of luck to you!

Amy 293/140 - AT GOAL!   

Most Active
Recent Topics
I regret getting so big
mirandamacie · 0 replies · 434 views
Any "surgery twins" ??
Vampy · 11 replies · 2147 views
Loose skin at 21
nataliaxrivera · 2 replies · 4072 views
Feeling lost
PenguinArmy · 1 replies · 6632 views