Diet Progression Question

MaMaMaRTiNeZz
on 11/6/12 9:31 am - Los Angeles, CA
RNY on 11/01/12

So I am now 5 days post-op and every single day gets easier! Even though recovery and diet is going well I am still confused about the Diet progression. I have read all the literature given by my Surgeon's office and according to them the clear liquid diet is from Day 1 up to Day 14 and then the Full Liquid Diet is on Week 2 to 3 and then Puree is Week 3 to 4 and Soft Foods from Week 4 to 5 and fi ally Regular Diet from Week 5-6 and on. What I'm not understanding is the Diet Progression schedule is given at the first post-op appointment and mine isn't until November 14, 2012. I am already feeling undernourished with clear broths, water, popsicles, and clear protein drinks which is what I was told the only things I could eat. The discharge nurse even told me I couldn't eat Jell-O. How was Diet Progression for anyone else? I feel like mine is super overkill like I have talked to other people who were on Soft Foods at 2 or 3 weeks out...I can't understand why I am on clear liquids for so long and why Full Liquid and Pureed Stages are separated? Help? Advice?

NOTHING tastes as GOOD as SKINNY FEELS...

Starting Pre-Op Weight: 305     Weight On Day of Surgery: 297 

exohexoh
on 11/6/12 11:44 pm - West Chester, PA

i would call the office and see what they say.

my office seems to be more liberal than most... i was on full liquids as soon as i was discharged. at 1 week (on monday)  i was on pureed, when i went in for my 1 week appointment friday they said i could start soft foods if i wanted. then after a week i was back onto regular foods (within reason of course). 

so glad that you finally got your surgery and you're doing well!

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

MaMaMaRTiNeZz
on 11/7/12 12:36 am - Los Angeles, CA
RNY on 11/01/12
On November 7, 2012 at 7:44 AM Pacific Time, exohexoh wrote:

i would call the office and see what they say.

my office seems to be more liberal than most... i was on full liquids as soon as i was discharged. at 1 week (on monday)  i was on pureed, when i went in for my 1 week appointment friday they said i could start soft foods if i wanted. then after a week i was back onto regular foods (within reason of course). 

so glad that you finally got your surgery and you're doing well!

thanks hun! i am doing well but this diet thing is ******g me off...mostly because i have already tried eating sugar free pudding, cream of chicken soup, and thinned mashed potatoes and felt fine...i am going to call today and find out. my first post-op appointment is on the 14th which isnt that far away but i am already growing sick of the isopure and broth!

exohexoh
on 11/7/12 9:55 am - West Chester, PA

yeah i'd go crazy! especially since isopure grosses me out!

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

MaMaMaRTiNeZz
on 11/7/12 11:12 am - Los Angeles, CA
RNY on 11/01/12

i know its been ok for me so far but for real its starting to get boring...its not like i want to go crazy and eat pizza or a cheeseburger but honestly id like to have something with a lil more flavor and substance. is that such a crime? LOL

gizmo113
on 11/19/12 7:49 pm - Camby, IN

My doctor was also very strict. Stick to it. If anything it will help your mind be trained! :)

Follow me on my blog!!! www.fittingmethin.blogspot.com

ScottAD
on 12/3/12 10:20 am - Lenoir, NC
RNY on 07/31/12

Definitely depends on the office. My eating after post op went something like this; Ignore the verbiage, it is from my site where I've been chronicling all of this.

Pre Op

• First meal – 8:15AM – Protein drink: 4oz fat free skim milk + 1 scoop Isopure No Carb Protein Powder (Flavor is up to you!) You may use 8ozs (1cup) for this I just prefer the protein shot method.
  • Vitamins while sipping on first meal.
  • Second Meal – 12:00PM – I prefer something savory for lunch so I used Wyler’s Low Sodium Bouillon (Flavor is up to you) and a scoop of Unjury Medical Protein (Flavorless and as long as you stir it in slowly while it is hot you should not see a change in broth consistency.)
  • Snack – 2:30PM – Sugar Free Jell-O cup
  • Third Meal – 6:00PM – I prefer something savory for dinner as well so I used Wyler’s Low Sodium Bouillon just a different flavor now and a scoop of Unjury Medical Protein (Flavorless and as long as you stir it in slowly while it is hot you should not see a change in broth consistency.)
  • Dessert – 7:15PM – 1 cup fat free skim mil**** 1 tsp Decaf Instant Coffee, 1 scoop Isopure No Carb Cookies & Cream Protein Powder, Splenda to taste (I didn’t use any.)
  • Total Protein Intake – 80 grams
  • You should be drinking water throughout the day as well. I am only including meals.

First Week Post Op

At this point you are home. You must remember to SIP like a champ. Consuming 1 oz every 15 minutes. That means my first meal takes me an hour to consume. You will also be on vitamins now and I prefer to take them with this meal. To see how I take my vitamins please visit here. Remember, protein first! You will seem like all you are doing is eating at this point but you need to get your protein in. Six meals sounds like a lot but it will work!

• First Meal – 8:15AM – Protein drink: 4oz fat free skim milk + 1 scoop Isopure No Carb Protein Powder (Flavor is up to you!) You may use 8ozs (1cup) for this I still prefer the protein shot method.
  • Second Meal – 10:00AM – 8oz water, 1/2 pack Crystal Light single serve (Flavor is up to you), 1/2 scoop Unjury Flavorless Protein. Mix your powder in slowly, if you just dump it in you will end up with a clumpy nasty mess!
  • Third Meal – 12:30PM – Time for something savory! This can be any low-fat cream soup, bouillon or even egg drop soup. Just use another scoop of the Unjury Flavorless Powder to get your protein in with this. I use all three and consume 12 oz for this meal.
  • Fourth Meal – 4:00PM – My homemade protein shot like the first meal.
  • Fifth Meal – 6:00PM – Meal just like Meal two. (We’re rounding out our scoop of Unjury this way.)
  • Sixth Meal – 7:30PM – I prefer a nice hot cup of bouillon to close out my day. It’s savory and warm. It relaxes the pouch. Just remember to use more flavorless protein.
  • Total Protein Intake – 80 grams
  • You should be drinking water throughout the day as well. I am only including meals.

Second week Post Op

You’ve been home for three weeks now and it’s time to get in to the good stuff! Remember in this very important transition is not to overdo it. You get more satisfying things now but patience and taking your time will mean the world in the long run. Some key things to remember;

• Proteins first! Doesn’t matter how badly you want that potato. Don’t eat it unless your protein is ate!
  • Do NOT drink while eating your meals!
  • Do NOT drink for 30-45 minutes before your meal and for the same amount of time after.
  • Practice mindful eating now more than ever. Do no****ch TV or read or talk on the phone. Set some time aside and enjoy your food. Savor it and relish that you get some good stuff now.

I’ve done more exercising at this point so the times will be a lot earlier. You do what you need to I just want to share what I found effective. With all that said let’s get down to what I ate so that I can share effective protein chugging ways with you Padawans!

(We’ve met our protein requirement by this time. I take a bit more because I’m more active now.)

• First Meal – 5:00AM – Protein drink: 4oz fat free skim milk + 1 scoop Isopure No Carb Protein Powder (Flavor is up to you!) You may use 8ozs (1cup) for this I still prefer the protein shot method.
  • First Snack – 9:00AM – 6oz cup Chobani Greek Yogurt (Lots of yummy flavors!)
  • Second Meal – 12:30PM – 2oz of diced grilled chicken on squares (2oz worth) of low-fat cheddar cheese. Tasty and protein packed!
  • Second Snack – 4:00PM -6oz cup Chobani Greek Yogurt (I can’t help it that I love this stuff!)
  • Third Meal – 7:30PM – 1/2 cup cottage cheese and a handful of loose berries (Whatever is in season)
  • Total Protein Intake – 82 grams

Long term I eat 3 meals and 1 snack a day. I still use shakes, can't knock the protein to calorie ratio.

Most Active
Recent Topics
I regret getting so big
mirandamacie · 0 replies · 445 views
Any "surgery twins" ??
Vampy · 11 replies · 2170 views
Loose skin at 21
nataliaxrivera · 2 replies · 4082 views
Feeling lost
PenguinArmy · 1 replies · 6644 views