RNY or Sleeve

adotadd
on 9/5/13 4:59 am - Lawrenceville, GA

Hi I'm new and I just had my first consult with my surgeon on Wednesday. I just have to get my clearances from the cardiologist, psychiatrist, and nutritionist. I am going back and forth with if I want to just go all in and get RNY or if I want the sleeve. The RNY is really worrying me thinking about it because I have heard of so many people have nutritional issues. Then on the other hand I have heard of people not really losing as much weight with the sleeve because your body still absorbes everything you eat. I'm 27 and a mother of 2 and I just want to make the right decision so that I can get healthy for them. I would love any input from people and how they came to their decision. Thanks

HGmommy
on 9/6/13 5:09 am - Montgomery, AL
I'm still preop, but I stand firm on my decision to get the sleeve. Like you said, the malnutrition that comes with the RNY scares the hell outta me. I know it's not a definite that you WILL be malnourished with the RNY, but I don't wanna take that chance. I had gestational diabetes with my first daughter and it was horable. I want my next pregnancy to be as healthy as possible. I want to be able to take in enough nutrients for BOTH of us to me healthy.

Dumping was another concern. I'm a baker. I want to be able to tast my frosting to make sure it's good before slathering it on a cupcake! As someone who wants to open her own bakery one day, that's a big thing for me. I don't want to be scared of dumping with every new recipe.

Also the thought of someone rearranging my organs gives me the heebejeebes. I know that doesn't bother everyone but to each his own. My friend had a very successful RNY.

I also think it depends on how you plan on eating postop. Do you plan on going all healthy, natural, and non processed? You still ganna have that Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich every now and then? Will compleatly cutting out sugar or pastas and rice compleatly devastate you? Do you need that extra restriction? These are all things you need to consider.

I'm not trying to persuade you either way. These are just my opinions (sorry they were so long!). I've been kind of a YouTube addict in the past few weeks. There is a huge, supportive, WLS community there. I have watched people our age who have had these surgeries and it is very enlightening. Check it out.
Jacob H.
on 9/7/13 7:45 am - CA

Either one has its successes and failures, it's all dependent on you. With either surgery you will need to change your eating habits for it to be successful in the long run. Both types of surgeries have documented cases of malnourishment, and some sleeve patients require vitamin supplements just like RNY patients. The RNY has a little higher success rate because most patients stay away from carbs and sugars post op because of dumping. However, after a couple years, even RNY patients begin to tolerate sugar and carbs, which is when this surgery can fail also. Being 10 years out I have no limits on what I'm able to eat, but still dump on high amounts of sugar, and am lactose intolerant (common side effect). At the time of my surgery the sleeve was not an option, but I think I would have failed with it because I love to eat ( peach cobbler is my biggest enemy). Both surgeries require the same sacrifices to be successful long term. But I will point out that a lot of sleeve patients get revisions later on to RNY because it wasn't enough. This is where big complications come into play. The more times your cut into the higher chance of getting a bowl obstruction. But it's possible with any surgery. Good luck with your choice, feel free to ask questions

True victory comes at the very end, when you can say, " I lived, and will gladly do it again." View "failure" as a setback, and meet each accomplishment with a larger goal.

jenaenae84
on 3/23/15 8:40 am - Ofallon, IL

I just went to my first appointment with my surgeon. I had decided I wanted the RNY I'm 5'0 30 year old female  current weight is 205 so I have between 100-90lbs to loss. I talked to my surgeon  and he said that he recommends the sleeve to people my age with no other medical issues but if I get married before surgery my Inuance will change and they will only cover the RNY which I have wanted already. I still think I want the RNY just not sure because so many people are saying the sleeve but I want to loss more weight and keep it off and from what I have read there is more research to prove that the RNY does all that I know which everone I decided to do its only a tool and I will still have alot to do just want to make the best choice for myself . Iv been vlog in my journey on YouTube which is lesstoloveawholenewnaenae  on YouTube thinking video bloging will help me with my journey.if you want to you can find me on there and share your story with me and what you decided to go with or which one you are going to go with thanks for reading my long comment lol

Most Active
Recent Topics
I regret getting so big
mirandamacie · 0 replies · 445 views
Any "surgery twins" ??
Vampy · 11 replies · 2172 views
Loose skin at 21
nataliaxrivera · 2 replies · 4086 views
Feeling lost
PenguinArmy · 1 replies · 6644 views