Looking for support/friends from peers

TexanSleever86
on 6/22/15 8:48 pm
VSG on 06/17/15

So, I am completely new to posting on OH and not sure where the best place to start is.  I had VSG done last Wednesday (6/17) along with laparoscopic cholecystectomy.  So far, so good.  I am 25 lbs down from the start of my pre-op diet.  I am looking for friends/support from others in their 20s/30s who have had this done and been successful (I will be 29 in August).  It seems like the majority of people are a bit older and have had different experiences than what I have had so far.  I have read some horror stories about needing assistance walking to the mailbox 3-4 weeks postop and awful pain, etc - but this has NOT been my experience so far.

To start from the beginning - I had problems with my gall bladder being overactive (causing bowel dumping) since January.  When I met with the surgeon, I also discussed WLS.  A couple months later, here I am.  My starting weight/highest weight was 264.  I can't really say I "struggled" with my weight my entire life.  I gained the last 50-60 lbs a couple of years ago and just could not lose it/keep it off.  Every 15 lost would turn into 30 gained.  (I think most people on here have a similar experience). 

The preop diet was actually much better/easier than I thought it would be.  I had 5 days of soft foods, 3 days full liquid, and then 2 days of clear liquid with a bowel prep of 3 60cc doses of milk of mag.  The surgery went smoothly and I was only supposed to stay in the hospital one night.  My body, however, had another plan.  My blood pressures were all over the place (from pain, anxiety, and my reaction to anesthesia) so I stayed until Friday (2 nights).  The first day/night were AWFUL!  My entire body was sore and stiff.  Moving my legs and arms hurt - it was a struggle to lift myself into a sitting position to get out of the bed - but this was only temporary!  

However, I did what I was told and WALKED.  Within an hour of being given my room (after recovery) I was up and walking with help.  I did one lap on the floor with my nurse.  After realizing how much better I felt when doing this, I decided to walk every time I woke up.  It really helped stretch my sore/stiff legs and get my insides "moving".  The gas pain was awful - but it was all stuck high up and would not come out.  I had only little minor burps.  If you are considering doing this surgery - walk walk walk, it really was not bad for me.  My hospital routine was:  pain meds, nap 1-2 hrs, wake up, walk 2-3 laps on the floor, back to room/repeat.  After I passed my xray with contrast, I was given isopure and water to drink.  This was also a problem.  Every sip has caused cramping and pain to go across my ribs, followed by bubbling/gurgling noises and a small burp.  This is still continuing through today (5 days postop).  There were a few moments when I just wanted to cry from exhaustion and pain/soreness, but they were only moments.  The pain was practically nonexistent by the 2nd day.  The sore, tight feeling in my muscles improved with a nice shower and making sure i was up and moving every time I woke up.  While doing my laps on the floor, I would occasionally stop and raise my knees, one at a time, to stretch my quad muscles - this also felt very good.

I was discharged on Friday and so far have had minor problems.  Be sure to bring a pillow with you for the car ride home!  I put it under the seatbelt and it was a nice cushion for all of the bumps (which feel awful) along with the binder I was wearing to keep me in a nice position.  I am on a low dose of pain meds and a muscle relaxer and have almost NO pain whatsoever at this point.  If I lay in bed too long I become a little stiff, but walking and moving helps this tremendously.  I have been just walking down the street and back (10-20 minutes at a time) a few times a day.  My doctor also had given me an ON-Q pain pump that I had removed today (it delivered local anesthetic to my sternum - keeping my ribs and incisions from being sore  - I have had NO incision pain at all, only the itching, which I am told is a good sign of healing). 

My one major issue is heartburn - I have never had this before!  My doctor says it should get better with time, and for right now has put me on Prilosec twice a day with tums chews as needed.  I also have diarrhea several times a day - this may be from the gall bladder removal and is not typical of VSG from what I am told.  The cramping/burping with every sip is improving - apparently I inhale too much air when sipping, so I am consciously making an effort to not do this.  My biggest struggle so far is getting enough fluid and calories.  I have been mixing campbell's chicken soup (straining out the chunks) with Unjury's chicken soup protein powder, drinking Isopure, eating jello, and drinking water with powerade zero drops.  The water with powerade drops goes down the easiest for me.  My goal is 1-2oz every 15 minutes when I am awake - but this hasn't been easy.  Also, I am sleeping 2 hours, awake 2 hours, sleeping 2 hours, awake 2 hours - so it has been hard to get enough down.  My postop diet is:  2 weeks full liquid, 2 weeks puree, 2 weeks soft food, then slowly introduce regular foods.  Because of my digestive issues, I am staying on clear liquids for right now. 

If anyone has had any similar experiences or are at the same point in their journey I would love to chat/swap stories/advice/vent!  I have a friend who is planning on this surgery next month, but would like to have a larger support group.

Thanks for reading!  I know this post was long! :)

Gina

5'6"  HW: 264 SW: 252 CW: 173 GW: 150

Jolly_ICU_RN
on 12/25/15 6:10 pm
WLS on 12/29/15

I feel like you're my weightloss twin! I'm 5'6" starting weight was 173 and I'm in my 20's and I live in Texas!!! Thanks for posting this! I'm having surgery in 3 days, and it will be good to see what someone my age and size went through! Feel free to "friend" me if you want to!

TexanSleever86
on 12/26/15 11:47 am
VSG on 06/17/15

That is awesome!  I have lost 91 lbs total (80 since surgery 6 months ago).  Good luck with everything!  The first 6-8 weeks really suck, but I promise it will get SO MUCH BETTER and be worth all of the misery!!!

Just get some protein drinks that you like and stick with them.  I still drink Isopure to meet my daily protein goals.  Feel free to message me with questions! Aside from the normal eating things, I've dealt with hormone changes, changes to my depression/anxiety, whacky periods, hair loss, flappy arms, etc etc, as a result of the surgery/weight loss and would be more than happy to share any tips or insights with you.  I joined a facebook group for women that all had VSG in June 2015 and they have been a great help/support.  Find one for December 2015 sleevers!  

Christmas was a little rough - I basically ate a slice of the beef tenderloin we cooked and had half of a bite of some of the sides and was done.  The smells were nice, though :)  I still am eating 90% protein and then 10% veggies/fruits.  Occasionally I will sneak in a bite of something sweet.  I am "allowed" to eat bread/rice/pasta now... but I've found that bread and rice are awful.  After one to two bites I can feel it expand in my tummy and I feel sick from being excessively full.  I tried each one time and that was enough to stay away!  Pasta is ok for a few bites, but this a rare meal for me (mainly when I am out or with family, etc).

5'6"  HW: 264 SW: 252 CW: 173 GW: 150

Most Active
Recent Topics
I regret getting so big
mirandamacie · 0 replies · 444 views
Any "surgery twins" ??
Vampy · 11 replies · 2164 views
Loose skin at 21
nataliaxrivera · 2 replies · 4082 views
Feeling lost
PenguinArmy · 1 replies · 6643 views